Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 1×10 set advice needed
  • Scoobster
    Free Member

Thinking of changing my main bike to 1×10 set to simplify things a bit and was just wondering if it had to be a clutch mech or would and ordinary 10 speed mech do my job. I would still use a top guide chain device for security so does it really need to be a clutch mech?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I just use a NW chainring with a non-clutch mech and no chain guide.

jimbothejetset
    Free Member

Will be fine with a guide. When the chainring wears out replace with a narrow wide and then your belt and braces.

mrlugz
    Free Member

I use a standard 32t middle ring with hope bash guard and the little hope chain thingy

Never dropped yet.

mmel
    Free Member

I went for a narrow wide ring on the 9sp Deore cranks I already had combined with a 10sp cassette and chain. I went for a clutch mech as it cost little more than a normal one. Oh and a 10sp shifter as well.

Not dropped the chain yet so in my mind jobs a good un.

Northwind

Thick/thin ring is the important bit- I can ride my bike with the clutch switched off (oops) and the chain stays on, when I tried to ride the same bike with a clutch but an old-school chainring, the chain fell off about once a minute. (that’s without a chainguide in either case)

Considering the ring only costs a little more than a normal one it should be a pretty easy decision.

Mech… if you’re buying a new mech, get a clutchy one. If you’re not, try it without and see how you do.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘1×10 set advice needed’ is closed to new replies.