Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 11 speed Shimano quick link compatibility
  • hols2
    Free Member

Just upgraded an old 9 speed bike to 11 speed XT, all working fine. The chain came with a Shimano joining pin. I’ve used Sram quick links with my 9 speed stuff for years without any problems. Shimano always said their cassettes and chains were optimized to work together, but I’ve never had any problems mixing and matching Sram and Shimano chains, cassettes, quick links, etc. However, if the internet is to be believed, 11 speed stuff is different and Shimano quick links cannot be reused. Is there something magic going on here that means you can’t use a Sram quicklink with an 11 speed Shimano chain? Will it all explode into pieces if I ran a Sram chain on it?

scotroutes

SRAM say you can’t reuse their links either.

Of course, lots of folk ignore this.

I’ve used SRAM and KMC links  on Shimano 11 speed chains and they’re fine.

hols2
    Free Member

Thanks. It sounded a bit like BS but didn’t want to find out the expensive way.

twowheels
    Free Member

I’m using a KMC quick link on an XT (HG701) chain no problems. I have split and rejoined it too, even though it’s the “one use” quick link.

hols2
    Free Member

So is it possible to split the quick links with your fingers? I never had any trouble doing it with 9 speed Sram ones once I learned the trick. Do the 11 speed ones need the special pliers to get them undone?

qtip

I’m using the SRAM 11 speed quick links on Shimano chains. No problems at all. I haven’t tried reusing them (SRAM claim you shouldn’t), but I definitely think I’d require the tool to undo them if I wanted to try.

Klunk
    Free Member

the 11 speed sram road links are not supposed to be reused but after being split many times you still need the link pliers to get them off.

Yak

Yeah, 11speed quicklinks are more tricky to get on and off. I use a small bit of thin cord threaded through either side of the link. Cross the cord over, give it a sharp pull and they come apart.
    And 11 speed is 11 speed. Any 11speed quicklink with any 11speed chain is fine. I use sram/shimano/kmc with any quicklink.

hols2
    Free Member

That’s a relief, thanks. Guess a pair of the special pliers is a good idea.

TomB

A 9 speed link also runs fine, I found, following a break recently.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Even though you could theoretically break the old quicklinks without a tool, it was never that easy and you always ended up covered in oil. Just buy a tool

geex
    Free Member

as above 9 or 10 speed quicklinks work just fine on an 11 speed chain and are easier to split.

sounds like mr nicolai-uk puts far too much oil on his chain.

twowheels
    Free Member

I don’t think I could comfortably split the KMC quick-link with bare hands. However, it can be done with normal pliers easily. I also got some tyres levers specially designed to do it (same as https://singletrackworld.com/2017/04/sea-otter-2017-clever-chain-tool-tyre-lever/ but unbranded and cost almost nothing), and they make it super easy.

FOG

I had a SRAM 11spd quick link break after I reused it. I had a spare but the idiot I gave it to to hold while I pulled the chain tight, dropped it down a grate! We then rummaged around packs and somebody came up with an ancient 9spd that had been there for ages and it worked fine for the rest of the ride.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

as above 9 or 10 speed quicklinks work just fine on an 11 speed chain and are easier to split.

sounds like mr nicolai-uk puts far too much oil on his chain.

Ha – now that I didn’t know. Still have quite a few sitting around that I’d assumed were no use for any of my bikes. Was going to try eBaying them.

Very little oil goes on my chains – Squirt or Smoove – but it does tend to gum up quicklinks a bit.

jamesco

Clarke quicklinks are splittable using fingers only AND I recently found out that Halfords stock them at very reasonable rates.

hardtailonly

I also got some tyres levers specially designed to do it (same as https://singletrackworld.com/2017/04/sea-otter-2017-clever-chain-tool-tyre-lever/ but unbranded and cost almost nothing), and they make it super easy

Ooh. I could do with some of these … Linky please! (the cheap unbranded version)

fivealive

Have used split links on shimano chains for 20+ years no problem at all. Pretty much use KMC chains exclusively now. Having one of these in your backpack is essential. Wolf Tooth Pack Pliers Master Link Combo Chain Tool https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B22NBXH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A38T5ZE9HMCKTR&psc=1

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘11 speed Shimano quick link compatibility’ is closed to new replies.