Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 11 speed road block on MTB hope pro 2 evo?
  • el_boufador

Hi all,
    I’d like to fit a set of hope pro2 evo wheels onto my gravel bike. The bike has got 105 5800 11 speed on it.
    I gave it a go yesterday but quickly discovered that the cassette body is about 2mm too deep for the freehub 🙁

Anyone know of a way to make it work? Potential Options:

1) New 11 speed road freehub body (do these exist for this hub?) This is probably expensive.
    2) Grind down the cassette body, I reckon I can get 1-2 mm off. Might put the mech too near the spokes
    3) Deeper lockring (do these exist?) sprockets all sit on ok. Might need to space the axle somehow if the lockring fouls the frame
    4) Run 10 speed (don’t want to do this)

any more ideas? Has anyone managed this?

charliem
    Free Member

There’s an 11-34 ultegra cassette (maybe an r7000 105 version too) that fits on a 10 speed freehub. People have definitely machined a bit off the back of the cassette before to solve this as well.

davewalsh
    Free Member

If the hub body is etched up as pro 2 evo 40t (the 40t is the important bit), you can change the freehub for an 11 speed one, product code HUB528, and it will work fine. Otherwise it’s either a bodge or stick to 10 speed.
    https://www.hopetech.com/11-speed-compatibility/

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As above, shimano 11-34 cassettes and above should all work fine as they have a 10s sized carrier and offset the 11th sprocket over the hub slightly.

Plenty of people have machined cassettes down though and it’s been fine. Its just an expensive option if you end up doing it every year.

trap6
    Free Member

I have Hope pro2 evos I had specifically built onto my genesis cdf,my cassette is a shimano 105 11/32,if I can ill have a look today,as I recall when I installed cassette I had what I think may of had the same issue,does it look like the cassette is hanging off a wee bit??
    if so mines the same and I’ve never had issues with anything,the cassette lock ring does still work as it should and tightens accordingly.
    Ill double check,I could be completely wrong,but the wheels are 2.5 years old so may have a different hub which I doubt very much.

vincienup
    Free Member

From a road cassette POV, the functional difference between the regular pro2evo and the 40T freehub is that the splines run down the body 2mm further (with the pockets to identify visually).

The Ultegra cassette is probably the simplest ‘correct’ solution. Otherwise you’ll need to get a freehub body machined to suit or see if just fitting and ignoring the overhang works for you, too.

davewalsh
    Free Member

@trap6, the pro 4 has been out over 3 years now so if your pro 2 evos are only 2.5 years old, there’s a good chance they’re the latest 40t version with the compatable freehub.

sobiow
    Free Member

The HUB528 freehub fits the non 40T pro2 evo as well but depending upon the size of the cassette and the shape of the largest cog the spokes may be very close to the back of the cassette. With your cassette fitted to the current freehub does it look like there would be clearance to the spokes if the cassette was moved 2mm closer to the centre of the hub?

The difference between the 40T and the older pro2 evo is on the 40T the driveside spoke flange is moved closer to the centre of the hub to give more clearance.

I’ve just fitted this freehub to my non-evo pro2 but I also had to change the axle, spacer and endcaps.

trap6
    Free Member

Op,I sent you some pics of mine,gave me good excuse too clean cassette,I stripped cassette and had the issue in thinking lock ring wouldn’t tighten down,lay flat hold lock in place,screw down,I managed 2.5x turns,it’s plenty tight.
    Hope pics help in some way.

el_boufador

Thanks for all the feedback and pics everyone.
    For anyone checking this in the future, took a punt on a token locking as the cheapest/easiest option and blow me down with a feather, it’s worked! Just a bit of mech readjustment needed!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘11 speed road block on MTB hope pro 2 evo?’ is closed to new replies.