Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • 1 x 11 vs 2 x 10
  • Kryton57

It was serious.

I don’t have the mechanical gift or time to be faffing around with chain lines and spacers. I just need it to work when then bike goes in the car for a 2hr race.

I don’t want to be without a 42 up a steep hill or having the chain drop off the cassette mid race. I don’t get that now on my 2 x 10, so I fear from the above and the links to other threads if I swap it over I’m about to inherit a load of issues.

Looks to me like it’s all going in the classifieds at the moment.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

. I just need it to work when then bike goes in the car for a 2hr race

To be fair if you want that to happen you need to get it setup right. Check it a few days before and if you can’t fix it yourself pay somebody to.
    The issues with chain dropping on the cassette seem to be around the shimano set up.
    3 months into a gx setup and the only issue was the mech unscrewing which was fixed with loctite.

chiefgrooveguru

I had a fairly logical route into 1x. 3×9 with 44/32/22 11-32, replaced big with bash and middle with 36, 2×9, back to 32 middle, then 2×9 with 11-34, ignored granny for a while and realised I didn’t really need it, 1×9, 1×10 11-36, then went from 32 to 33 to 34t ring. Mostly made the changes which required buying replacement parts when the old parts were worn out.

Maybe this is too much of an engineer’s way to look at it but if you’re like a big Diesel engine and only produce power over a narrow rev range you’ll need lots of gears. If you’re like a good petrol engine you’ll produce power over a wide range of rpm (cadence) then you won’t need as many gears.

What sort of pedaller you are doesn’t come down to fitness but to personal physiology and how you ride/train. For a rider of my middling fitness I can grind a big gear uphill slowly and spin a small gear downhill very fast, so unexpanded 1×10 works fine for me.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

@kryton – I think all the 1x problems are solvable but are an evolving process..

I have a feeling I’ll be riding 1x in winter and 2x in summer (when in my long rides)..only a week ago I was on here saying I thought 1x was great but I’d probably have to buy an expander….now I’m questioning that..I have a perfectly good 2x in toolkit…better for me to spend the money on some quicker tyres than keep buying kit to make 1x fit my riding (and essentially fix a problem that doesn’t need to exist)….. Like everyone says..horses for courses…

Kryton57

Nothing in there convinces me to make the change. Like I said, it sounds to me like all I’d be doing is upgrading my faff level.

Great. For Sale then.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

yeah I really like the idea of 1x but what I really want now adays are bikes that are there and just ready to work.

And I dont really want to choose my terrain based on my bike.

Some terrain will be road and I want a high top speed where as at other times I’ll really need a low gear.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You can easily pedal a comfy cadence at 20mph with 32-11, so how much road riding above 20mph does some people’s mountain biking involve exactly?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And imagine what you could do with a 10t. Go back a page and look at the gears you drop on 10-42 it’s very very little. Once you do the numbers it makes a lot more sense.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

You can easily pedal a comfy cadence at 20mph with 32-11

What’s a comfy cadence? That sounds like a lot of frantic leg spinning to me.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

A 650b wheel with a 2.3″ tyre on 32-11 equals 80gi. For 20mph that’s between 80-90rpm. On a road that’s quite normal.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

You can easily pedal a comfy cadence at 20mph with 32-11

I do need to work on getting my cadence higher particularly on the road bike.
    But I can not easily spin at 20 mph on a 32-11.

This is my fatest ever ride on a MTB. I was coming back from somewhere completely on the road and I was probably quite wind assisted. And some was downhill.

link to Ride

This is on a 29er so already the bike is geared higher. But I have a 42 front / 11 rear.

I have managed to average 17.6 mph, there are periods (on the flat) where im consistently getting 18-19 mph there is no way I would have managed to do this on a 32-11.

I hear alot of people saying they can easily get 20mph on a MTB, but I very rarely managed to consistently average 20mph on my road bike !

glasgowdan
    Free Member

My point is that you’re so rarely around 20mph pedalling on an mtb that the loss of a big ring is no issue at all for me. I don’t do big road miles on the mtb, and if the slope or wind want to push me beyond that 80rpm cadence then I’ve no problem coasting for a few seconds if it means I can keep my drivechain simpler.

Kryton57

Hmmm.

1×11 transmission is going cheap perhaps not worth selling. Looks like theres no harm in trying it but keeping hold of the 2×10 just in case. I’m going from SLX to XT also so there is some performance / weight saving to be had assuming it works.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

https://www.strava.com/activities/467265176

25K on road on a SS 26er running 34/15, so 60gi – average speed just shy of 20mph and I’m hardly the paragon of fitness!

firestarter
    Free Member

Trouble is Glasgowdan for me on my fatty a 32t ring is too big I’d want a 30t or even 28t for the low gear it gives and then that would leave me with a poor high gear. And I can’t use a 10t small cog on my hub. So it’s no good for me.

roverpig

All things being equal I’d take 2×10 over 1×10 as I’ve never had a problem setting up and maintaining a front mech. However, the good folk at Transition tell me that dropping the front mech allowed them to get the geometry they wanted on my Smuggler and in practice the small reduction in range seems to be a price worth paying.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

20 mp on SS

Thanks for posting this is good to see real evidence.

So I take back alot of what I am saying.

Im unable to say why Im not able to achieve this my self.

I find myself riding at too low a cadence on my Road bike too,
    I do try to match my pedal stroke to to the rider in front but I will to return to a lower cadence quite easily. Some days Im better than others.

This may be one of the reasons Im unable to take to 1x. Its actually the higher gears I often miss.

Kryton57

I’ve done some reading….

So it seems to be more of an issue if you have short chain stays. I’m guessing this is because the chain angle is more acute?

So on my Anthem 29er with 468mm stays, I might have less of an issue?

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

That ride was on 2.3 street tyres @ 45psi or so, so the speed itself is nothing to boast about! It was more to show that @ 18mph with that gearing it’s around 100rpm and it didn’t feel uncomfortably high – all my geared bikes are 1x and part of the reason I undergeared the SS was to train my legs to spin better. Flat pedals too btw, not clipped in.

ETA: 18mph on 42/11 on a 29er 2.3 tyre is 54rpm

Kryton57

Why can’t I run my 2×10 up front with the 11sp at the back?

Hurry up please, there’s some cheap replacement chain rings in the classifieds… 🙂

chestrockwell

I imagine the chain will be different. Might work but probably be rough.

scotroutes

Stick an 11 speed chain on it and it’ll be fine.

Edit: I suggested this on page 1

pobaker
    Free Member

anyone feeling the need to run a lightweight chain guide with 1×11 XT? am wondering whether if its needed or not (general trail riding, not too much hardcore stuff apart from a couple of enduro races).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some of the people I know go for lightweight chain guides on the shimano stuff, on SRAM and NW I’ve only dropped the chain once in anger in 2 years with a good chain, once it was worn it was a problem but I let it get too shagged and was running everything out.

As for speeds and real world
    25km Race Stage same bike 1 year apart
    2014 2×10 26/38 https://www.strava.com/activities/436215604 2hr 02
    2015 1×10 32×11-42 https://www.strava.com/activities/221214954 1hr 49

that was the only stage that was 100% the same over the 2 years, with small variations was faster in 2015, top speeds were similar and even on the time trail stage with plenty of road flat.

Kryton57

I’ve decided to keep mine and try it out – although I won’t sell on the 2 x 10 just yet.

I think a combo of a long chain stay 29er and the fact I should be able to put a 1.5mm spacer behind the cassette should help things.

I also think that that the chances of me back pedalling when changing up to / already in the 42 about to climb a steep hill are fairly minimal, especially now that I’m aware of the issue, and especially when racing.

So, Saturday afternoon will see the Oil filled Rad on in the mancave…

qwerty
    Free Member

Makes you wonder why the mag reviews of these products at launch don’t feedback these niggles as engineering cockups that may need buggering around with. Or maybe we’re just too geeky.

core

I’ve bought a (cheap, on offer) narrow wide ring in preparation to go 1x at some point, but it’s sounding like a lot of faff to get it to work well, lots of variables.

I’ve got 2×10 (non clutch) XT/deore on my Scandal, 24/36 & 11-36 – it just works flawlessly.

Is 1x perceived as better/having more advantages on full sussers?

qwerty
    Free Member

Core – Here are Chris Porters views on clutch mechs on full suss:

Another nice little illustration of how the industry works is the clutch mech and thick/thin chainring nonsense. When a rear suspension system moves through its arc it requires chain growth – which is accommodated for by the rear mech. So, if we ‘clutch’ that rear mech, we are adding a friction damper to the rear suspension system. Again we make the suspension a bit worse, but this time to keep the chain on? Which it doesn’t fully achieve anyway. That’s hardly a win/win situation, is it? Try a rough downhill run with the chain removed to feel how good the rear suspension can be, and how much faster the bike goes without motive power! Since writing this Neko Mulally did exactly that at the World’s when a mechanical issue turned into his best result ever –

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So, if we ‘clutch’ that rear mech, we are adding a friction damper to the rear suspension system. Again we make the suspension a bit worse, but this time to keep the chain on? Which it doesn’t fully achieve anyway.

A bit, a little, some all quantified amounts. I’ll stick with a chain as my bike won’t go that we’ll on the flat or uphill without one. Most people do a good run chainless as it really pushes you to carry that extra 10%

Again I’ll take the clutch mech and thick thin. To make a bike work all round you have to compromise things.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Most people do a good run chainless as it really pushes you to carry that extra 10%

Diverting the thread somewhat but I wonder if any DH teams have seriously looked into developing a bike with no drivetrain? Guess they wouldn’t as there would be limited market for it as most peoples backyard DH tracks aren’t as steep as WC courses and most people aren’t Aaron Gwinn (or Neko).
    There was some dude pushing chainless BMX’s a while back and had replaced the cranks with a direct mount for pedals to the BB shell.

Kryton57

Well, done. And I lost over 1/2lb (275g) at the same time – SLX to XT as well. Setting up seems to be a tad more faff but hey, it’s done.

I too suffer from the chain falling down two cogs if back pedalling. I’m PF bottom bracket so when that’s chained I’ll see if it can be done with the spacer removed to assist.

However, I went for a practice spin, including a steep slippery hill which required the 42, and as long as you keep pedalling the chain drop isn’t an issue. TBH if it was slippery and steep enough to stop the bike in a race I’d probably run on to flat anyway.

I’m happy so far, but need a real ride and a race to test it.

Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘1 x 11 vs 2 x 10’ is closed to new replies.