Rubber news! I’m a fan of the Specialized Hillbilly. I always have one in my tyre pile to call upon. The new Hillbilly looks like it may be a bit more capable. Great news. Much excite.
We’ve literally just taken delivery of a pair this morning so can’t say anything about how they perform yet. But we have some pics of them. And some actual weights…
- Specialized Hillbilly Grid Trail T9 29×2.4in: 1,070g
- Specialized Hillbilly Grid Gravity T9 29x.24in: 1,310g
In the meantime, here’s what Specialized say about the new rubbers:
Press Release: Get a Grip on Untamed Nature
Gravity-focused, excelling in steep, slippery, loose, and wet conditions, the all-new Hillbilly is designed specifically to find traction in shifty natural terrain and bring confidence and control to the unpredictable wild.
A new tread design features deep centre knobs and high-volume shoulder blocks to bite through loose soil. Block-in-block transition knobs reinforce the tyre structure and aid traction and stability everywhere, from ploughing deep loam to railing rock slabs and charging over slippery roots.
Specialized’s exclusive Sticky Fast T9 compound elevates the Hillbilly’s traction, enabling it to stick everywhere, even in the greasiest conditions. In addition to its ability to grip in slippery situations, our T9 compound is formulated to bring just the right amount of dampening to the backwoods party, reducing tyre bounce and deflection to enhance stability and control in the steep and deep.
The Hillbilly is available in either GRID Trail or GRID Gravity casing. GRID Trail’s bead-to-bead protection and stability make it an excellent choice for aggressive riding in rough conditions. GRID Gravity is a burly, two-ply construction designed for extreme conditions, offering incredible strength and exceptional tyre stability when loaded hard into corners and compressed into jump faces. Both are 2Bliss ready for easy mounting and inflation with or without tubes.
The Hillbilly Features:
- Large Block-in-block shoulder knobs for supported cornering
- Spike centre knobs to dig in and find traction over loose terrain
- GRIPTON® T9 compound reduces terrain-induced chatter, enhancing confidence at warp speeds
- GRID GRAVITY 2-ply casing construction is ideal for Enduro, Bike-Park, and Downhill riding
- GRID TRAIL Casing: 60 TPI, tough MTB trail construction with additional bead-to-bead protection for exceptional puncture resistance, sidewall stiffness, and stability
- 2Bliss Ready technology protects against pinch flats, cuts, and punctures
- Discover recommended air pressure for 27.5″ and 29″ mountain bike tires
- GRID Trail 27.5×2.4″, psi 20-40, approximate weight 985g
- GRID Trail 29×2.4″, psi 25-50, approximate weight 1070g
- GRID Gravity 27.5×2.4″, psi 20-40, approximate weight 1240g
- GRID Gravity 29×2.4″, psi 25-50, approximate weight 1340g
- GRID Trail –
- GRID Gravity – £50
Singletrack quick question
Answers to questions like this help us understand more about you, our audience, and provide a guide to future content.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Just by signing up you are supporting Singletrack World
Join our mailing list to receive Singletrack editorial wisdom directly in your inbox.
Each newsletter is headed up by an exclusive editorial from our team and includes stories and news you don’t want to miss.
Singletrack Recommended Tyre Deals
While you’re here…
Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.
Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.