Even though we’ve been enjoying some unseasonably warm and dry weather for this time of year, we’re not quite ready to bust out the shorts and t-shirt just yet. Fortunately, the kind folk at Fox Racing sent us over a bunch of their foul weather outerwear to check out, so Ross and I headed up a mountain to do just that.
The range is split into three distinct and easily understandable categories; Fire, Wind, and Water. It’s a pretty self explanatory system – Fire for warmth, Wind for protection against the wind, and Water, unsurprisingly, for protection against water.
All the items can be combined and layered to suit your specific riding conditions, and while they all feature a technical cut to work on the bike, the cuts aren’t quite so obviously athletic that you need to remove them the moment you step off the bike.
This is just a small selection of the range – head over to the Fox website to check out the rest of the kit, but for now let’s dive in and take a look…
Fox Ranger 3L Waterproof jacket
If you want to ride in the worst conditions, you’ll need a solid outer shell, and the Ranger 3L Waterproof Jacket is just that. Constructed from 10k/10k fabric, with fully taped seams and waterproof zippers, it’ll keep the rain out, while letting your body breathe so you don’t boil in the bag. Elasticated cuffs, a drawcord hem and large helmet compatible hood round things off.
Fox Ranger 3L Waterproof Jacket Details
- Advanced weather protection features fully taped seams and waterproof zippers
- 10,000mm/10,000mm 3-layer breathable waterproof fabric
- Front hand pockets with separate compartments to keep your stuff in place while you ride
- Draw cord on lower hem for close fit
- Water resistant pockets to keep your valuables dry
- Laser cut, billowed pockets to keep your cargo comfortable and away from your body
- Water resistant YKK front zipper
Fox Defend Thermo Hoodie
Designed to add warmth without bulk, the Fox Defend Thermo Hoodie can either be worn next to the skin as your sole base layer, or combined with an additional base layer underneath when the temperature really drops. The tightly knitted fabric is tough and highly effective at blocking the wind – there’s no point choosing a material that doesn’t work when moving. Lastly, to keep you super snuggly, the close fitting hood easily fits under your helmet for even more protection against the cold.
Fox Defend Thermo Hoodie Details
- Polartec Power Grid™ offers channelled insulation that provides enhanced lightweight, moisture-wicking insulation
- Abrasion-resistant, wind blocking fabric helps keep you warm while descending
- Form fitting hood fits underneath your helmet
- Zippered stash pocket on the hip helps keep your stuff in place on the roughest rides
Fox Ranger Windbloc Fire Jacket
Designed to help you keep riding through the depths of winter, the Fox Ranger Windbloc Fire Jacket is both insulated and wind proof. A tough polyester exterior shrugs off the rough and tumble of everyday mountain biking, and a zonal brushed fleece interior helps keep your core toasty and warm. A dropped hem keeps rear wheel spray at bay, and elasticated cuffs keep the elements out.
Fox Ranger Windbloc Fire Jacket Details
- Tough Polyester exterior and zonal brushed fleece interior
- Ergonomically located zippered hand pockets with elasticated interior pocket to keep your stuff in place
- Elastic waist and cuffs for fit and comfort
- Drop tail for MTB specific performance
Fox Ranger Wind Jacket
A super compact, packable, and lightweight shell to stop the wind chilling you to the bone. The lightweight fabric is finished with a DWR coating, making it shower proof, and as it packs down small enough to fit into most cycling jersey rear pockets, there really is no reason to leave this at home.
Fox Ranger Wind Jacket Details
- Packable into interior pocket for easy storage
- Secure centre front zip closure
- Hand pockets
- Elasticated cuffs
Fox Ranger Wind Pullover
Offering more protection against the elements than the Fox Ranger Wind Jacket, the Ranger Wind Pullover is constructed from a comfortable 4-way stretch fabric, coated with a durable DWR to shed dirt, water and debris. It neatly packs away into its own front pocket when you don’t need it, and the large hood easily fits over your bike helmet for even greater protection.
Fox Ranger Wind Pullover Jacket Details
- 4-way stretch Polyester Fabric for comfort and performance
- Casual size hood will fit a helmet if needed
- Draw cord on lower hem for close fit
- Zippered pass through hand pockets
- Packs neatly into centre front pocket for easy storage
Fox Defend Pro Fire Glove
With its longer neoprene cuff, and DWR coated fabric, these are the gloves to wear when the weather is grim. The waterproof Clarino leather palm is thin enough that you don’t lose the feel of the bars, and the thumb and index fingers have conductive thread for touchscreen compatibility.
Fox Defend Pro Fire Glove Details
- Axe suede slim fleece waterproof palm to keep your hands warm and dry
- DWR finish sheds moisture, dirt and debris
- Longer neoprene cuff for a secure fit
- Conductive thread on index fingers and thumbs for touchscreen compatibility
Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.
Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.