Reynolds today introduces a new range of XC wheels, the 309/289XC. These carbon wheels are aimed at the demands of modern XC racing, and come in four build levels to suit a range of pockets, from $1299.99 to $2099.99. The top priced limited-edition version comes with a Super Bubba X turquoise hub set from sister company Ringlé. All levels in the range have new front and rear-specific rim designs and spoke counts.
Reynolds 309/289XC Rim Design
The name of the wheels makes more sense when you hear they have a 30mm internal width front rim paired to a 28mm internal width rear. Reynolds says wider rims allow you to run lower pressure, increase traction, and add precision to your steering, but can also result in a less compliant and bumpier ride. Reynolds says compliance has been addressed by a reduction in rim profile to 21mm.
“With most of the rider weight and power on the bike being transferred to the rear, we found a 28mm wide rim paired to 28 spokes an ideal balance between strength, comfort, and performance. On the front, we widened the rim to 30mm to add even more steering precision and sidewall stiffness where it matters most. To maintain a similar feel to the rear, we decreased the spoke count to 24 to add compliance and reduce weight for a more flickable feel while navigating the tight and twisty sections of the trail.”
Blacklabel wheels use the same IDM (Impact Dispersing Matrix) and MR5 rim construction technologies found in Reynolds’ DH wheels to provide impact resistance and durability.
There are two build options offered at the Blacklabel level:
- Option 1: $1850, RRP€ 1.850 – Reynolds/I9 proprietary Blacklabel Hydra hubs, 0.52° engagement
- Option 2: $2099, RRP € 2.099 – Limited-edition Ringlé Super Bubba X hub anodized in turquoise. This hubset is only available within the Blacklabel 309/289r wheelset and is available while supplies last. 4° of engagement and a drop-in ratchet ring design for enhanced durability.
- Both wheelsets laced with Sapim CX-Ray spokes and alloy nipples.
TR and TRs
Both the TR and TRs models use the same 309/289 rim design and profile with PR3 rim construction for quality and durability at a lower price point.
- TR Option: $1299 USD, RRP € 1.299 – Sapim Sprint spokes, brass nipples, and Reynolds TR MTN hub with 10° of engagement through 4 pawls.
- TRs option: $1549, RRP € 1.549 – Sapim CX-Delta spokes and alloy nipples to a Reynolds TRs MTN hub. 5° of engagement through 6 phased pawls.
If you like what we do - if you like our independence then the best way to support us is by joining us. Every penny of your membership goes back into Singletrack to pay the bills and the wages of the people who work here. No shareholders to pay, just the people who create the content you love to read and watch.