Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • ZTR Alpine/Crest any difference in terms of durability??
  • barkit
    Free Member

Hi everyone,

I’m seriously thinking of getting either ZTR Alpine or ZTR Crest on my future bike. I do XC generally but sometimes go on some rocky stuff (on this type of tracks I’m not the kind of guy rushing at max speed).

So I was wondering if any of you has experience with either (or both) of those rims, are they race oriented only or can they be used for everyday use as well?

Thanks

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve had both, still got the Alpines. They’re fine, unless you’re an oaf. The Podium is their race only rim, and I’ve even found those plenty tough enough.

Janesy
    Free Member

I also find the Alpines perfectly fine.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Alpines in 32h flavour on Chris Blings as my spare (XC) race wheels. Faultess so far. Marginally heavier than the Alex XCRs on my main wheels but the hubs are more different in terms of weight.
    Did my first DH race using these wheels on the big bike last month http://andrewhowett.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/transvesubienne-prologue.html , no problems at all, highly recomended.
    Note however that I’m 10st2 and generally not heavy on wheels, although I have broken one Alex rim but not an Alpine.

barkit
    Free Member

Thanks a lot for these very useful replies!

That’s reassuring then I’m gonna go for the Alpine
    @ andrewh: I’m about the same weight so in theory I could even go downhill with those then 🙂 !

One last thing, I’ve heard that with the Alpine rims, you should use 2.10 tires as the rims are rather narrow and it has an impact on how the knobs are in contact with the ground (you have less grip). Have you experienced such an issue?

njee20
    Free Member

They’re marginally narrower, if you regularly use >2.3″ tyres I’d look elsewhere, perhaps the Arch Ex, but I’d not worry about only using 2.1s. I’ve got a 2.3″ S-Works Captain on one of my Alpines.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

On the Alpine rims it makes ref to 2.2 tyres, so can’t imagine they would have that printed on the rim if it wasn’t designed for them. so, I’d personally feel ok about upto 2.35.

barkit
    Free Member

Ok great!

Sounds like I have to get those rims now!
    Thanks for your feedback.

d45yth
    Free Member

I don’t know why you don’t get the Crest’s…they’re slightly wider, have a lower profile and only weigh 10g more.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Crests would be a safer bet IMO. It took me a year to flatten my rear one. (low tyre pressure, big wide drainage ditch) I’m a heavy lump on a 5 & I’m going for an Arch next.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

‘Alpine’ sounds cooler 😉

Janesy
    Free Member

I use a 2.4 on my Apline rim. Its OK, not problem what so ever. I have never heard of this 2.2 limit…. off to look.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

it’s a ref to tyre pressures or something, not limits. The point I was making was, they wouldn’t quote it on the rim if the rim wasn’t meant for it.

d45yth
    Free Member

Just because you can use a certain width tyre on a rim doesn’t mean that you’re getting the best tyre profile with it. What kind of riding are some of you lot doing anyway, using skinny, lightweight XC rims with chunky trail tyres? I’ve seen quite a few Crest rims that have folded in half, by not that heavy riders, here in the Lakes.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve used 2.1 Nobby Nics, 2.1 Ralphs, 2.2 Conti MKs, 1.9 Conti Speed Kings and 2.35 Minions on my Alpines. As someone said above it’s about pressure, rather than size. Note, all mine were with tubes too.

barkit
    Free Member

Alpine may sound cooler, it’s just that I like them more – purely aesthetic.

Of course, I want to take the more durable and more reliable of those two so that’s the point of my topic actually :-).

I don’t know why you don’t get the Crest’s…they’re slightly wider, have a lower profile

Ok might be a stupid question then but in what sense this make them any better? I guess wider mean more traction…

Janesy
    Free Member

I ride all types of MTB XC – local woods – Trail centres and i love the rocky ‘gnarly’ decents. Oh I did the Cwmcarn DH on them as well.

I have buckled it a few times but nothing I couldnt fix with a spoke key. Oh and by the way – I wouldnt call a Continental X-king a beefy trail tyre. More like an intermediate race / trail.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘ZTR Alpine/Crest any difference in terms of durability??’ is closed to new replies.