• This topic has 37 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by cb.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Zig Zag lines outside schools…
  • cb

Is it illegal to park there or just ‘frowned upon’ by the highway code?

maccruiskeen

not sure from memory if the zigzags outsided schools are enforced in the same way as the ones around pedestrian crossings. With the latter its points on your licence rather than just a parking ticket.

cb

There’s a ped crossing bang in the middle of them, right in front of the school gate…

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s designated 4×4 parking space isn’t it?

chiefgrooveguru

If there’s an accompanying sign then it’s illegal to park or stop during the hours of operation.

scuzz
    Free Member

You MUST NOT wait or park, or stop to set down and pick up passengers, on school entrance markings (see ‘Road markings’) when upright signs indicate a prohibition of stopping.

Macgyver

yep, you can get done. They are there to prevent you parking, dropping off , loading etc as any car parked will obstruct visbility to pedestrians on or about to cross the road.

joao3v16
    Free Member

If you’re a massive selfish ****, those zig-zag yellow lines are actually priority parking spaces

I don’t know why the police can’t spare some of their stinger devices and have them positioned on these zig-zags each morning/afternoon during the school run

Sandwich

Yellow or white zig zags. If they are white for the crossing then no stopping, waiting, unloading or overtaking is permitted. (That means no nipping past the cyclist too fat woman in faux by four).

martinhutch

Illegal. PCSO regularly waits outside my kid’s school for the inevitably obese, hollow-skulled parents who think that any walk over five yards for their infant could be fatal.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

nah, they’re special spaces for if you’re running late/can’t be f*cked to walk your kids to school.

At least that’s what they seem to be used for round our way 😉

wwaswas

there’s a raised crossing point outside my daughters school (not a zebra crossing but a 20ft wide section of raised road so it’s level with the pacement and the road is also narrowed at the same point) with double yellows on it.

Some parents appear to think this is some sort of raised parking area that they can pull up onto so their children don’t need to worry abotu a kerb when they exit the vehicle.

Meanwhile, there’s 40 people on the opposite pavement who can’t cross until they move their car.

“$%^&*£$F£ £$%^£$$% $£$%^&*($£””$££$ £$^%&&^$£$£$ selfish %&%££$^%^^% £$%^$££%$ £$%$£$%% gits” is my usual response.

Although I keep it to myself as my daughter gets upset if I challenge people.

The whole road the school in is double yellows for the most part but it doesn’t stop people parkign in ludicrously dangerous places.

I spoke to the head but she won’t do anything following threats of violence against her from one father that she did challenge about it.

Every 6 months or so traffic wardens turn up and there’s further threats of violence against them along with lots of shouting from parents with tickets.

*and breathe*

cb

They are white rather than yellow – don’t recall whether additional signs are present. Anyway, usual fat slob parks there every day and I’ve had a word twice – no effect. Guess its a call to the local police to see if they have any interest. Its a very busy road and traffic is always backed up due to all the above mentioned school run shenanigans – this guy however, is the only one arrogant enough to park there…

binners

Schools should start putting anti-tank mines on them. As a public service. Within a week none of us would ever have to worry about **** in BMW X5’s or Range Rover’s ever again

cb

For perspective – its a little car (with a fat git driving it)

hels
    Free Member

Egg his car. If enough of you do it you won’t get prosecuted for it, it’s inconvenience rather than damage. In my younger days we did this in a flat I was in when one neighbour’s car alarm went off at 0100 for about the ninety millionth time.

Solo
    Free Member

Yet isn’t it ironic ?. These people are delivering their children to school, but park their car on zig-zags, which then endangers all other peds.

Parking, overtaking, lane changing. All on zig-zags. I think theres a lot of people who have completely forgotten the reason for having zig-zag lines and have lost any regard for any one else’s life.
    🙁

tonyg2003

It’s a 3 points on your licence and a fine. As happened to someone outside my boys infant school a while ago. They were a persistent offender that the police acted on. Not in a stereotypical Surrey 4×4 either.

It quicker to walk from our house but as usual some of the neighbours drive.

joao3v16
    Free Member

“MOTORISTS IN BEING SELFISH, OBLIVIOUS & INCONSIDERATE BARSTEWARDS SHOCKER”

ski
    Free Member

For the last four years, outside our little ones school, there has been a BMW 5 series tourer, owned by a resident parked over the same spot of yellow zig zags outside the school, I dont think its ever moved!

Never seen anyone been ticketed for parking on them and many do.

GrahamS

ski: report it to the council!

If it hasn’t moved you could also report it abandoned. Does it have up to date tax? 😈

maccruiskeen

If enough of you do it you won’t get prosecuted for it

is this incitement to riot? 🙂

Sandwich

Oh yes! White ones make points and points make prizes!

40mpg

Outside my wifes school the police have now put yellow no parking cones at 3ft intervals on the yellow zig zag lines. This has had 2 effects:

1 – they park further into the road by the cones, causing more congestion
    2 – applications for permits to drive onto the school have increased. The new headteacher now requires a doctors note that either the child or parent is incapable of walking to authorise one of these. Its amazing how easy it is to get one of these notes.

Oh and a teacher was knocked off her bike in the school grounds by a mum collecting a child, leaving her with a broken hip, a few weeks ago. She was trying to park but the sun was low so she didnt see the teacher – thank god she didnt take out a whole bunch of little primary kids!

Its absolute carnage, and the school gate warden gets loads of abuse. Parents are trying to petition teh school to spend all their money on buying an adjacent field to turn into a car park, really good use of limited funds that! It just beggars belief.

GrahamS

Parents are trying to petition teh school to spend all their money on buying an adjacent field to turn into a car park,

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

WTF is wrong with these people???

When I were lad I walked a mile to Primary School every day with my mate, usually opting to take the route through the waste ground “nature reserve” that involved jumping over a river.

I’d have been embarrassed to have been dropped at the gates.

ski
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

ski: report it to the council!

If it hasn’t moved you could also report it abandoned. Does it have up to date tax?

I think it will be taxed, its a newish looking car, the zig zags cover the parking space right outside his terraced house, I have a feeling he might be making a point 😉

The more worring issue is with the parents who use Zig Zag lines like a formular 1 pit stop, who don’t even bother to stop their engine, pile the kids out onto the road, then race off, stuff everyone else sort of attitude.

I guess this approach to using the zig zags is quite common too and if anything is more dangerous.

gwaelod
    Free Member

ZigZags are FKF Zones.

FKF – Fat Kid Ferries

GrahamS

the zig zags cover the parking space right outside his terraced house, I have a feeling he might be making a point

Ahhh.. the old “I own, and have exclusive rights to, the piece of public highway directly outside my house” ?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Illegal between the hours stated on the sign.

It would be illegal picking one of mine up from ‘school’ (15:15)but not from ‘after school club'(17:30 – 18:00).

If you know of someone doing it, tell them not to (if you’re that way out). If not tell the school.

My girls’ school clamp down on it sharpish – rightly so imo.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Ahhh.. the old “I own, and have exclusive rights to, the piece of public highway directly outside my house” ?

Councils should send them a bill when they grit and sweep up leaves.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Is it legally enforceable for the school to monitor the zig-zag areas with CCTV & provide details of offending drivers to the police?

I’m sure many parents would happily contribute to the costs, as might some local residents.

ElVino

See if you can take a wide angle photo which includes car + reg, school & kids. Send a letter to the council with a copy for info to the school and police stating that if there is an accident you will hold them responsible as they have been informed and have done nothing.

aracer
    Free Member

I spoke to the head but she won’t do anything following threats of violence against her from one father that she did challenge about it.

You should suggest to her that the correct response to threats of violence is to report it to the police, not to back down and let the criminal have his way. I believe they do take such things more seriously than parking offences.

maccruiskeen

I have a feeling he might be making a point

I think his point is he bought the wrong house

tomaso
    Free Member

One parent who drops off her kids on the zig zags at the side of school doesn’t always commit this offence. Sometimes she pulls into the teachers car park and sticks her car in the disabled visitors parking bay…

markwilla
    Free Member

Parking on the “SCHOOL KEEP CLEAR” zig-zag lines happens all the time outside the pre-school my daughter goes to. After challenging a few offenders without success I setup a Facebook page today (22/02/2013) to “shame” the people who do it. No photos as yet but I’ll be there on Monday morning snapping away at all the selfish drivers.

Here is the page…

http://www.facebook.com/ZigZagWallOfShame

Sandwich

Hold on let me fire up my burning torch and sharpen the scythe!

cb

Seeing as this has been resurrected and I started it…

Local pcsos (?) turned up one morning recently, stood right in front of the zig zag lines. My thoughts were “why the hell didn’t you at least attempt to hide?” so that you could catch these tossbags. Needn’t have worried, same fat git pulls right in in front of them slap bang on the lines!! Then clocks them (God knows how he didn’t see them in their yellow coats!!) and pulls off straight into traffic! They had a ‘word’ when he dropped his unfortunate offspring off at the gates!!

Pretty impressed they responded to complaints.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Zig Zag lines outside schools…’ is closed to new replies.