Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Zesty bottom bracket
  • portydave
    Free Member

Hi

The bottom bracket on my 2011 zesty 514 is getting pretty rough after less than a year, which seems like its a common problem!

Seems I need one of these FSA type http://www.welovelapierre.com/780/0/4321/fsa-lapierre-steel-bb

A there any other options out there that might last longer? I’m struggling to work out exactly what is compatible with what!

And what do folk reckon to removing and fitting with drifts and bits of wood, rather than having to buy an expensive tool or get a shop to do it?

Cheers!!

robhughes
    Free Member

You,ll be lucky to get one out with pieces of wood. 🙂

Brake-neck
    Free Member

If you got a year out of it you did bloody well!!!!
    Had three in mine in the year I had it, removal with bit of wood = 😥

magoo37
    Free Member

Just had a new bb fitted on spicy today, general concensus of bike shops in my area is AVOID fsa…. Will last no time at all. All were recomending shimano which is exactly the opposite of LOC views (all said they’re replacing a damn sight more fsa than shimano). Secondly don’t even bother trying to fit yourself… So to sum up.. Fsa bb + fit yourself = £25, Shimano + lbs fit =£40+£10 labour but will last at least twice as long.

CrombieCraig
    Free Member

Fitted a KCNC press fit BB90 to mine, replacable cartridge bearings should it ever need servicing etc. Busted the old xtr nylon one out and fitted the new one in no time at all. Also solved the issue of water tracking down the seatpost (which appeared to be the reason the BB were getting worn out so quickly). With the BB and seatpost out spray a little expanding foam up into the seat tube. Let it cure and trim off any excess, fit the above BB (anodized colours to suit) and jobs a good’un.

portydave
    Free Member

cheers for the info folks.

didn’t realise there is a Lapierre owners club!!

are you sure BB90 will fit (2011 zesty)? lot of folk seem to be saying its something different….but the KCNC press fit BB90 looks compatible to me?

cheers

hughjengin
    Free Member

I get on average 18 months out of a shimano one, they are hardwork getting out, but always manage it ok

timmys

For what it’s worth, my experience;

Shimano; didn’t last very long (6-9 months)

KCNC; looks lovely but seemed too tight in the BB shell. The lovely looking O-rings just ended up all mashed up and deformed by the time the thing was actually installed (using a headset press), so it never really sat straight. No better external seals than the Shimano anyway.

Enduro Fork Seals; By far the best. Actually has what you would call a seal on the outside of the bearings rather than just the top hat reducer shim things in the others. Cons; have to order from the US so takes a couple of weeks to get them.

CrombieCraig
    Free Member

I fitted the KCNC on the recommendation from some guys off LOC forum, I recall them being advised by we love lapierre as the right product to fit. Good thing about this is the replaceable cartridge bearings, no more breaking out and installing the shells.

The problem is water coming into the frame via the seatube and ingressing into the BB via the poor ‘O’ ring seal on the BB collar. Seal this point and your BB will last longer.

thepurist

The problem is water coming into the frame via the seatube and ingressing into the BB via the poor ‘O’ ring seal on the BB collar. Seal this point and your BB will last longer.

Or just drill a small drain hole in the bottom of the BB shell. But don’t user a center punch to mark it first.

timblake
    Free Member

Last winter I took my Mk1 Zesty to LBS (LP dealer) and at nearly 3 years old they replaced the BB under warranty without me even asking…try it and save £50 and the wood, cheers

mtbtomo
    Free Member

+1 for KCNC – one of these:

BB90

Just measure the shell width, seem to remember its 92, so you fit the bb without the supplied spacers. Getting old ones out is a real pain tho’!

cheers_drive

Enduro bearings have been good for me. I managed to get the bearings out with the cups still in place by levering out by working round with the lip of a tool for removing threaded ht2 cups
    As others have said block the seat tube or at least cover the slot and turn bike upside down after wet rides.

hughjengin
    Free Member

My Zesty needs some serious bailing out after a wet ride, I do it every ride now, which has become a bit more of a PITA since fitting a remote dropper post, having to snip cable ties etc each time

cheers_drive

highjengin – I’ve put a couple of adhesive cable clips on the flattish underside of the top to carry the dropper cable

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Zesty bottom bracket’ is closed to new replies.