Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Zee to 9sp SRAM converter – group buy?
  • Speeder

Hi all

I’m going to buy one of these 10-9 speed converters from Canada and wondered if anyone else wants one and would like to share the postage. They’re $25CAD each and $5.50 for shipping so about £15 each (plus any charges)

It’s not a huge saving (about £2) but it was more in case anyone was interested.

Cheers

Gary

helpful1
    Free Member

So right around the same price as a new 10 speed zee shifter from CRC?

I’m interested if you can get the group buy price for this simple aluminium washer down to say £2 posted.

Northwind

You could make one with hand tools tbh. Or just a stack of washers. $25 is kind of batshit. But, if I can have an out of character helpful moment I should have a couple that I made for myself, that if I can find them, anyone’d be welcome to…

munrobiker
    Free Member

There is a post in there explaining that washers didn’t work because they just spun (not sure why…).

But why is this needed? I have a Sram X9 shifter currently working on a Zee mech on 9 speed with no compatibility issues at all.

Speeder

Factor in that I’d also need a cassette, chain & cable and these’d be XTR to match the rest of the kit and it all starts to look a bit more expensive than £15.

Living up to your user name there helpful1.

If you’re not interested in something, just ignore it.

🙄

Speeder

I’ve tried it without anything and it skipped gears so my current solution is with a small stack of washers but I would like a better engineered solution.
    I don’t have a small block of ali and it’d take me more than 1/2 an hour to make it anyway so would cost me more in time than just buying the part.

F it I’ll just buy one myself then.

helpful1
    Free Member

Northwind. I’ll have one.
    Will contact you via the medium of Electronic message.

🙂

Northwind

I will have a look.

(this is code for “I will forget” btw. I know I’ve seen either a finished one or a half-made blank on the worktop recently though so that’s promising)

amedias
    Free Member

There is a post in there explaining that washers didn’t work because they just spun (not sure why…).

If you use round washers then yes it spins as you clamp the cable up, use square ones or a small square block of Alu and it buts up against he locating ridge and works a treat, costs about 10p from your local hardware store.

You can machine/file a step and the pokey bit if you want a better fit but a simple square block or couple of square washers works fine too and isn’t any bother past the first 30 seconds of tightening the cable up.

If you want to be extra frugal and save the 10p, you can use one of the concave spacers from an old v-brake pad, file one side flat to stop it spinning, and then file a tiny tiny groove in the top for the cable, also works a treat and costs nothing but 2mins with a file.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Worktop means kitchen worktop I assume
    thanks aracer it works great
    thanks aracer it works great

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Zee to 9sp SRAM converter – group buy?’ is closed to new replies.