Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Zee Mech Freeride with Hope T Rex
  • pbooker1995
    Free Member

So just started running a T Rex with XT Rear mech. Works a dream.

Question is, has anyone used the Hope t rex with a Zee mech on a full suspension bike.

Ive ordered one as it was cheap and we had a bike in the workshop with zee and a Hope T Rex and it worked flawlessly but that was a hardtail.

Views welcome?

stim
    Free Member

I have just ordered that exact setup to build up a Genius LT but I guess I won’t ride it for a week or two. I’ll post back when I have tried it if no one else can comment.

tmb467
    Free Member

Got a FR but not got the bigger sprocket yet. There was a post a few days ago I had reposed today where someone had it working fine

I’ve got plans for a 40t in the next few weeks – reckon it should work ok as long but I’ll be doing some analysis on it in the bigger rings with no air in the shock

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I use a Hope T-Rex with an XT cassette and a Zee FR mech on a Trance X and have no problems. As another thread currently running points out, chain length and B Screw adjustment seem critical, but I suffer no back pedalling issues and have found things to have got better with time as chain and cogs have worn in together. I did find an XT chain better than my KMC. Up front is a Raceface 32T NW ring.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Brilliant.

What does the cage look like when in 10th gear. Is the chain anywhere near the bottom of the mech. i.e at 90 degrees and nearly rubbing on itself outside of the cage, if that makes sense?

domderbyshire
    Free Member

In tenth gear the cage is fully relaxed and there is potential for chain slap, despite the clutch mech. This has not been an issue in practice as that gear is not in use on gnarly descents! This may be the slight price to pay for getting the chain long enough to cope with the setup, anyhow. I think I know what you mean about the chain, but this doesn’t happen. Overall, I’ve been really pleased. I took the bike to the Alps over Easter and the gear range and general performance was spot on. It was odd, but fun, to ski in the morning and ride in the afternoon… That’s what I call a holiday!

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Once my kids are asleep I’ll nip into the garage and take a photo of the bike in tenth gear to show you.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Thanks Dom.

Much appreciated.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Here you go:

Hope this helps.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Can’t thAnk you enough 🙂 that’s put my mind at rest.

I’m running a top guide still so the little bit of chain slap shouldn’t cause any jumping chains.

Thanks

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Cool. Give it a go. I’m loving the simplicity and functionality and don’t regret the change at all.

alexxx
    Free Member

Whats the idea with the trex then is it meant to give you enough range for pretty much any climb using 10speed rather than 20?

I’m not great at ratios – what does this equate to in layman’s terms?

Thanks
    mainly interested for the weight loss / tidying the bars up

domderbyshire
    Free Member

That’s it, Alex. It brings simplicity, weight loss, fewer components to service/clean/go wrong. You can decide on the front ring in terms of what suits your local topography (I use 32T) and then run 11-40T out back. I find this covers everything locally (mainly Swinley), but also got on fine in the Alps. I love the simplicity and the fact that it just works. I was so pleased with the Trance I went 1X10 on my Anthem, albeit without the T-Rex, and it’s still a flying machine!

passtherizla
    Free Member

Really helpful. Thanks dudes… Just ordered a retainer for the front and will get the T. Rex and cassette next month.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Anyone used this set up with a lower chain guide?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Zee Mech Freeride with Hope T Rex’ is closed to new replies.