Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Zee brake persistent bleed problem
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got two pairs of Zee brakes and love them, but I’ve had a nagging problem with one of the units where the lever starts losing pressure and it has to be pumped up.

Despite a series of bleeds it seems to be getting worse – and Googling suggests it’s a known issue (or at least a common-ish fault).

So my question is do I keep bleeding it, try to send it back (it’s 18 months old) or do something else? One owner on a thread I found suggested re-doing the hose connection at the lever, but it doesn’t seem to be leaking so I don’t get that.

A penny for your thoughts…

legend
    Free Member

Going through the same pain with SLXs right now – I’ve previously warrantied 1 when the master cylinder finally gave up completely.

Been bleeding the front one for 20mins+ now and still have bubbles coming out! I’m thinking about sending mine back (again) as they are both terrible. Probably going to look for a refund rather than replacement

chakaping
    Free Member

I feel your pain – but I don’t even have any bubbles coming out, and I’m using the same upwards bleed with funnel technique that normally works easy peasy.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Probably not the same thing; but I once had an old XT caliper with dodgy seals at the pistons. You’ll have to remove the pads to check though.

mildbore

Shimano seals don’t last long and you can’t rebuild as spares not available. Once they begin to go ditch em.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I can’t see why you’d ever bother using them to start with TBH. I have Hopes which I can easily get spares for; plus they look great and I often find myself going to the shed at night before I go to bed, just to gaze at them 😉

sharkattack

I just finally quit my Saints for the same issue. The lever always pulls to the bar on the first pull then pumps up. I persevered with them for ages until it was obvious that it wasn’t my fault

Despite the smugness of Hope owners I’ve bought some V4’s.

chakaping
    Free Member

I can’t see why you’d ever bother using them to start with TBH. I have Hopes which I can easily get spares for; plus they look great and I often find myself going to the shed at night before I go to bed, just to gaze at them

I already have a beautiful handmade in Halifax Orange frame to gaze longingly at. If I had a set of Hope brakes as well I’ve never make it out of the garage.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

and the only thing left after Orange/Hope combo, is a St. George’s cross tattooed on your calf

chakaping
    Free Member

I achieved a better bleed at lunchtime by going bonkers pumping the lever and sealing the top up quick, but it’ll probably have lost pressure again by the time I knock off.

I just finally quit my Saints for the same issue. The lever always pulls to the bar on the first pull then pumps up.

It is a thing that they do isn’t it! I now need to replace the pads and clean the rotor. If it’s not working after that I’ll try to send it back.

mildbore

Hopes are lovely but can’t match shimano performance. It’s either disposable shimanos or beautiful rebuildable hopes

Scamper
    Free Member

OP, try bleeding them back to the caliper too. A good 15 minute drip bleed. Then pumping leaver and open/close caliper port released one large stubborn bubble on mine.

Also, when pulling the leaver as you appear to have done, tilting the lever unit up and down by 30 degrees releasing a few final bubbles from the leaver reservoir.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Currently running 1 and a half pairs of Zee brakes and they’re the most disappointing Shimano brakes I’ve ever had.
    Lots of bleed problems compared to my previous XT and SLX brakes. All appear to be due to leaking Pistons in the calipers. Only way I’ve been able to sort it is buy swapping out the dodgy calipers with an XT one

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers for the tips Scamper.

Currently running 1 and a half pairs of Zee brakes and they’re the most disappointing Shimano brakes I’ve ever had.

Mine are still the best Shimanos I’ve had, just ‘cos they’re so good when they do work.

jairaj

I had a similar problem on the old old XT brakes. Eventually tracked it down to a leaking piston seal.

There was hardly any lost oil so on a visual inspection it all seemed fine. But I packed the caliper with kitchen tissue and the pad spacer and left it overnight.

The next morning checked the tissue and one side had oil residue on it. Replaced the caliper and the problem went away.

philwarren11
    Free Member

I’ve been having issues with my Zee’s, mine were leaking at the olive on the lever, seems to be ok now but i’ve not ridden since sorting this and bleeding.

I did have a rear one replaced under warranty because one of the pistons split in half.

They’re immense when they work tho, fingers crossed it will be all the time now.

Lester
    Free Member

I doubt if its related, but my Zees work great all the time, except when i put the bike upright on an uplift, 90% of the time i need to pump the front (right) lever to get the lever back, and sometimes i have to do it on the rear (left).
    havent had Hope brakes in ages, but i love my Zees

chakaping
    Free Member

I think I’ve got a decent bleed this time, touch wood.

Shame the oil got on the pads and rotor, it sounds like an Avid Juicy now.

legend
    Free Member

My front now feels ok, did the back properly with bleed block, fluid up, fluid down, open/close nipple whilst pushing fluid with the lever, bled the lever on its own…….. now feels fooking terrible 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Lester – Yes I’ve had that with the same unit. Usually when doing a really steep push up and I only find out about it on the first corner of the descent.

🙂

sharkattack

I think what we can agree on is that Shimano brakes are a lottery. My SLX’s are great.

darrenspink
    Free Member

If anyone wants a guide on bleeding watch this. I still go back to it to remind myself. Follow it perfectly and you should have super braking power.

[video]https://youtu.be/9ZYmW8i8TWQ[/video]

Another thing to check with Zees are the pots. When you have the caliper off make sure they move correctly and aren’t in any way seized. Pull the lever, then push them back carefully with the handle side of a pedal spanner or other plastic coated tool.

kayak23

Nice and clear video that, but kind of annoying how often he suggests what I’m ‘gunna wanna do’… 😀

legend
    Free Member

sharkattack – Member
    I think what we can agree on is that Shimano brakes are a lottery. My SLX’s are great.

Absolutely, the Mrs has XTs which are actually nice to work on as everything just works

Lester
    Free Member

@ chapaking
    hope you check the brakes before the next descent lol

poah
    Free Member

I can’t see why you’d ever bother using them to start with TBH. I have Hopes which I can easily get spares for; plus they look great and I often find myself going to the shed at night before I go to bed, just to gaze at them

cheaper, better, and fit with shimano shifters.

chakaping
    Free Member

Force of habit now yeah.

Took this pic after one such incident…

chakaping
    Free Member

Well the bleed appears to have held and with new pads and rotor bedded in I’m feeling semi-optimistic now.

Not sure all the pistons were moving freely though. Any tips for un-sticking these?

bigjim

My Zees have been great.

18 months isn’t a bad innings, potentially a heck of a lot of use in that time, all those little o rings aren’t going to last forever.

chakaping
    Free Member

So I sent them back to bike discount a month or so ago, because they were still not working right despite getting the bleed spot on. I strongly suspected sticky pistons.

Just got a new set under warranty in the post.

Danke schone!

philwarren11
    Free Member

Did they say what was wrong with the original set? I just changed my olive so im hoping they’re ok now.

scruff
    Free Member

Mine worked great but couldn’t stop the rear howling, not a contaminated squeal this was a proper howl. I removed and cleaned the pistons, lubed them and seemed to move correctly but no better. Tried every method of aligning them and different pads, sanded and cleaned rotors. Checked all frame fixings. Gave up, swapped the caliper to XT and instant silence.

chakaping
    Free Member

Did they say what was wrong with the original set?

Don’t think so, but note was in German.

Pistons were stickign though.

legend
    Free Member

legend – Member

Going through the same pain with SLXs right now – I’ve previously warrantied 1 when the master cylinder finally gave up completely.

Here we go again…. both levers starting to look decidely oily, so going to see if I can give up and get a refund

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Zee brake persistent bleed problem’ is closed to new replies.