Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • yunki and trailmonkey's excellent adventure (lots of pics 'n' stuff)
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

cheers, would it be possible to have your email?(your b/dartmoor one doesnt work?), i may try to fire you over a proposed route i have in mind for an all dayer in east dartmoor im planning with a buddy who hasn’t done much there, I need to find a way of knitting together easdon tor descent AND bowermans/bridge too far/nutcrackers without it being too convoluted…so need to pick your brains!
    oh and pic of FP just up from eagle rock unfortunately it goes like this then into rock gardens which are not rideable then back into this type of lovely singletrack along most of the length of the river, if i bother to ride it one day i’ll let you know what it is like..

trailmonkey

yunki – i think we can take that as read.

burchy1 – route sounds good – is teign valley an easier way up the hill than through chudleigh ?

carlphillips – that singlybob looks sweet. are the rock gardens worth a try or are they impossible ? – email – ivyhouse7ATyahooDOTcoDOTuk

carlphillips
    Free Member

if you are doing boring cycle path up plym valley then peel off left at os534625 roughly then up over bridge then onto the singletrack through the golfcourse that’ll take you straight to the pub at clearbrook, its not amazing but better than cycle path.
    TM yhm

Burchy1
    Free Member

burchy1 – route sounds good – is teign valley an easier way up the hill than through chudleigh ?

I’ve never been up the Chudleigh way TBH, the Trusham route is pretty steady and brings you out at the top of the good Haldon cheeky cheeky singlybob.

trailmonkey

sounds good dave. can’t do this weekend as i’m busy saturday and i guess most people would rather do this on a saturday.

can we leave it with you to arrange ?

IdleJon

Ah excellent timing. I was going to post and ask for some routes around this area!

I’m staying near Ashburton (on the Denbury side of the A38 if you follow me) in a couple of weeks. Bringing the bike and riding Haldon on the way down, and I’ll slip out for a few rides during the week as well. I’m planning to ride Lustleigh, and I have the routes from the Good MTB Guide, but can anyone point me towards anything worth riding in the Denbury/Ashburton area. I’m thinking of the odd hours escape from the family.

(I used to live in various places in S Devon – Haytor, Liverton, nr Denbury, Highweek – but left in 93 just before I bought my MTB. I know my way around the area when driving or walking, but obviously don’t know where the locals ride, so any pointers would be great!)

lowey

That looks ace lads! Dead jealous.

trailmonkey

idle john, post up here when you’re down/just before and i’ll hook you up with a route or a guide.

julioflo
    Free Member

@trailmonkey, Junki, Carlphilips & Jambo – i’d love to get together and pool resources to make some new loops around this area, [as it is easy to ride out to for me and easy to return home to buckfastleigh via Hembury woods!] just looked at the OS and didn’t realise how big Ausewell wood was, i’m intrigued!
    Not free for riding this weekend, but most weeks i’m trying to put tuesday and wednesday nights aside. my email to arrange things is floydjt@hotmail.com

the pic below is a teaser of the the Dr B single track. TM I can not believe you guys haven’tridden this before. Peel right of the Dr B bridleway at approx 704713, there are a few path splits where you can go wrong, but when you know it it is faaaast.

julioflo
    Free Member

forgot to say for orientation purposes in that photo I am looking north towards the dart valley and Dr B from a field on the two moors way footpath from Holne to Newbridge

trailmonkey

@julioflo. thanks for that. does your trail start as doubletrack by any chance ? i think i’ve seen the start of that.

julioflo
    Free Member

TM – nope. I think from the main road you can get onto it on double track.

The way we ride it is to come down Dr B, then you come round the last long bend of the bridleway, the bridleway gets a little steeper then on the RHS you can pull of, almost doubling back on yourself. There is a clear track/route that would be at about 90°, but the one you want is almost doubling back on yourself and it leads down to and through the ‘quarry’ area where people sometimes camp…

i’ll show you when / if we meet up. drop me a line

trailmonkey

that would be great, i’ll be in touch.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Haven’t read the whole thread, just the OP but nice pics yunki and tm. Looked like a thoroughly miserable day 🙂

trailmonkey

it was tough but someone had to do it.

IdleJon

Thanks very much, trailmonkey.

I’m travelling down on the 16th, will be staying until Sat 23rd. I’ll post closer to the date.

OT Is the Union in Denbury any good for food these days?

trailmonkey

yes, good food, good beer.

jam-bo

was planning on going for an explore in the dart valley on saturday AM if anyone is about.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Never mind Plymouth to Exeter, Plymouth to Taunton is the route for real men, Dartmoor, Exmoor and the Quantocks 😉

bagpuss
    Free Member

We’re using road bikes, right? Having a cup of tea and some cake in Exeter then riding back?
    😈

trailmonkey

i will treat that with the contempt it deserves.

in fact i’ve given it more than it deserves by answering it.

singlespeedstu

I was near Bovey yesterday.
    Had a drive up onto the moor to have a look round. I think i might take my bike with me when i’m down again next month.Looks like fun.
    Be great if someone could point me in the right direction of some good stuff/guide me?

sambob
    Free Member

This looks good. Is anyone around between the 17th of july and the 7th of august that could show me around?

trailmonkey

to singlespeedstu and sambob

no problem. just post on here closer to the time and we’ll sort it out

singlespeedstu

Cheers.

sambob
    Free Member

Cheers, will do.

carlphillips
    Free Member

sambob i think im free then (will check though)
    jambo I’m not free on saturday im tiling my bathroom floor 🙁

sambob
    Free Member

We’ll be free most days in that period, on holiday in Salcombe so need to get out to some decent riding at some point.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m pretty free in the first week of August and a bewildering variety of random other days.. if I can help in any way I will.. 🙂

singlespeedstu

It should be the first week of August i’ll be down on the tuesday or wednesday.

sambob
    Free Member

Nice one stu. Do you think i could try one of your many fatbikes if we meet up?

singlespeedstu

I might have trouble getting the fatbike in the car along with all my work stuff.

You’re more than welcome to have a go if you’re in the west mids at any time though.

sambob
    Free Member

I can imagine that could be an issue. To be honest i only ever pass through when going to the west country, but i might make an effort to get down to the FoD at some point this summer.

Olly
    Free Member

Tidy day fellahs!

where did you start from?

Im in exeter, and have wondered more than once if “a dartmoor ride” is do-able from home.

i too would be interested in a tagalong ride, but am away till the back end of july touring, so wont want to even look at a bike till mid august i imagine. (that or be monsterously fit)

singlespeedstu

sambob.

You’re from the Peak kind of area aren’t you? ( I think we may have met on a peaks pootle)

If you are next time i’m up that way i’ll bring it with me.

sambob
    Free Member

Yep, in Whaley Bridge. About 10 mins ride from the meeting point of that pootle.

trailmonkey

@olly, i started the ride in denbury and yunki started in liverton, with a meeting point at bovey.

no reason why not to start from exeter.

Del

yeah, if you did it right you could get in a quick 500m of climbing before you get anywhere near the moor. 8) 😯

trailmonkey

i think you’d have to go via morton’ to avoid that sort of leg work.

instanthit
    Free Member

OLLY, im in Exeter and also thinking of trying to fix up dartmoor ride without car if your interested? Also thinking of getting a bivvy/ride in at some point later in the year wife/kids/work permitting!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘yunki and trailmonkey's excellent adventure (lots of pics 'n' stuff)’ is closed to new replies.