Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Your oldest piece of kit.
  • Potdog
    Free Member

Struck me the other day that I have very few bits of kit that have truly lasted over the years.

For me they are a Karrimor Veil pertex jacket which must be about 12 years old, an Endura long sleeve winter jersey bought about the same time and a Topeak Survival Box mini tool kit which must be 9 or 10 years old.

So what kit has stood the passage of time with the rest of you?

CHB

I have a North Face placket polartec 200 fleece that I bought in 1992. Still wear it for gardening and DIY.

Potdog
    Free Member

Nice going CHB, so 17 years to beat at the moment.

grahamh
    Free Member

Rab Andes duvet jacket, bought in 1986

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

My Buffalo top – bought in 1991/2, still going strong.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Trek seatpack, mustuv got it around 1990?

chakaping
    Free Member

Finsbury Park CC wool top, early ’80s vintage I believe (sponsored by Beadle Roller Skates) – inherited from a friend’s brother-in-law in late 80s and worn ever since.

Amazed I can still get in it!

lister

Karrimor hot ice 45 litre, the purple and black one…must have got it about ’92, still use it every day for work.

BeenBag baggy trousers…still worn for winter rides and used under waterproofs for openboating…they must be ’91 I think.

Hellyhansen thermal, found on the floor of a shower block in the lakes in ’99…after a couple of washes it no longer smelled of the previous owner and, again, is used every week.

I love kit that lasts.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I still have 2 HH Lifa shirts which are still used the sleeves have had to be cut off cos they were buggered but I did buy them in 1986 😕

Potdog
    Free Member

That Finsbury Park CC top must be getting a bit thread bare, FFS it’s pushing 30 years of service!

crazy-legs

Bike-wise it’s a Shimano 600 (pre-Ultegra) front mech from my first road bike in 1995 which did somewhere in the region of 70000 miles on that bike before being transferred to my CX bike where it’s done another 6000 miles. Still going strong.

Clothing wise…not sure.
    I’ve got a purple and orange Ronhill pertex top from about ’92 that’s still functional (but I don’t wear it anymore). Probably a few other bits and pieces hanging around in a chest of drawers somewhere.

mr_stru

I’ve got a cateye enduro computer from the early 90s that’s still going.

Potdog
    Free Member

Wonder if were going to start to see a trend with the brands that just last and last showing up quite often in this thread?

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Pair of Specialized short finger gloves found in a puddle circa ’91/2. Modified (well had the thumbs cut down as they began to fray) and still in use. Never washed.

Have some old freebie Great North Swim t-shirts from the late 80’s- still in use (dare I say going strong?).

Finally, my old man’s road bike, used as a commuter in the 50’s. All original spec apart from bar tape, cables, pads and tyres. Derailleur custom mod by a Dutch blacksmith in the early 60’s. Still sees occasional use- and even an odd trip on the rough stuff- built like a tank and a joy to ride. Should tighten the spokes before its next trip mind.

lister

there must be alot of ‘pre-going-bust-and-going-pants’ karrimor kit out there still going strong.

sslowpace
    Free Member

Some old Cook Bros Skewers from 1993
    Still lovely..

nickc

Another Ronhill pertex jacket (blue, none of that purple nonsense for me) bought about 89-90. First bit of “technical” gear I bought. Still use it

brakes
    Free Member

how can you wear clothes that are over 10 years old? 😕

AlasdairMc

Kool Tool from circa 1997 for me, it resides in my toolbox and sees regular use. Just retired my red DX SPDs from 1999 after continual use.

coffeeking
    Free Member

how can you wear clothes that are over 10 years old?

Why not?

My car is a ’90. My SS frame is a 92, quill stem and Manitou Answer forks from about ~92 i think?

thomthumb
    Free Member

don’t want to mention my 12 yr old qr’s i’m scared they are going to fail! but i didn’t like the new (non shimano) ones on my new wheels!

samuri
    Free Member

my bikemonkey jersey. Looking a bit tattered now but I think I bought it in about 1998. Still going strong although it can smell bad after a long ride.

ken_shields
    Free Member

I’ve got a yellow Pace soft shell jacket I bought in 1988/89 which was never showerproof and the elastic waistband gave up it’s stretchiness years ago

I’ve also got a silver & maroon pace racing jacket in vgc which is truly luverly (I think from early nineties)

Andy

1991 buffalo mountain shirt here. Wore through the winter.

chakaping
    Free Member

That Finsbury Park CC top must be getting a bit thread bare, FFS it’s pushing 30 years of service!

They don’t make ’em like they used to, eh?

Actually “worn ever since” is a bit misleading, it’s more like “worn loads and loads as a teenager and then a few times a year since then, when I’m not too portly”.

Soup
    Free Member

Santini arm warmers. Used regularly since 88. Amazingly still perfect.

matt_outandabout

Me 🙂

old Lowe Alpine 40l climbing sack (22years), a mini gas stove (20years), old pair of unbranded salopettes for sailing/paddling in (19 years).

I have some right dodgy old kit, shortly to be all renewed for my new job…cant be wearing that 13 year old buoyancy aid any more (honest it works just fine…. 🙂

pjt201
    Free Member

just had to throw away a mavic 217 rim at the weekend, must be 12 years old. the braking surface finally wore out. front one is still going though!

matt_outandabout

oh, I also have 1991 Buffalo, a fleece of similar era (mebbe 1992?), and a load of hats / gloves from similar age.
    I have a pair of Garmont/Karrimor boots as well (now used for gardening n DIY), bit like Triggers broom with 2x new soles from 1992{(ish)
    Macpac Minaret from 1993

I soooo need some new kit….

Stoner
    Free Member

My Courierware courier bag – used pretty much continuously since 1995 and still in great shape and used every week. Like a tardis.
    http://courierbags.com/prod_cbdeluxe.itml

cant beat well-made kit.

tops5
    Free Member

Gore – bikewear jersey from about ’98 – my hope rear xc hub must be circa 2002

Richie_B

My legs. Still going well after forty years (knees could do with a bearing change though)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hmmm, I have a Karrimor Epic Approach bag that’s about 15 years old. Also have a set of Endura Thermastat bibs that are pushing 13, I think. Oh, and a 95 Marin that gets regular outings.

martyntr
    Free Member

I still have 2 purple anodised chainring bolts, which were on the first bike I built myself in 1990, on my Superlight. They were on my Muddy Fox Courier comp !! The chainring bolts have been on every bike I’ve built since then, and due to wear and tear, I only have 2 left.

Marmite
    Free Member

Goretex jacket, bought for me as a present in 1988, still worn regularly, and still as waterproof as ever!

Potdog
    Free Member

Karrimor seems to be doing well here, stuff I buy now really doesn’t seem to cut the mustard in the longevity stakes, maybe the manufacturers realised that they were doing themselves out of business if kit lasts maore than a couple of seasons 😈

oldgit
    Free Member

Got an original Haston Alpiniste (purple with blue centre zip and leather pocket anchors.
    Though Karimor have done few repairs.
    Circa 1978.

orangeboy
    Free Member

onza Ho canti brakes think I got them in 93-94 but not to sure of the exact year

midlifecrashes

Got the Karrimor Vail going strong too, but probably most of this

Keep meaning to eBay it as it’s not getting used very much, but always find an excuse not to.

mrsflash
    Free Member

how can you wear clothes that are over 10 years old?

Why on earth not??

I’ve got a pair of endura shorts – kind of like an all in one suit that I need to replace the zip on – other than that they’re fine and I was still using them last year, they must be about 12 years old. Also have a grey pace fleece of about the same age.

oldest of all though has to be my old riding jodphurs, I think I got them when I was 15. They don’t get much wear these days as I don’t ride often (less than once a year) but they’re what I wear when I do ride. Gulp, they’re 20 years old. How was me being 15 nearly 20 years ago????

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Your oldest piece of kit.’ is closed to new replies.