Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • your homemade tools and skills?
  • taka
    Free Member

what have you got/made??

🙄

aracer
    Free Member

Made all sorts – here's my titanium headset cup remover:

fozzybear
    Free Member

as aracer made a few. (no photos not THAT impressed with them but they work)

headset press

hope M4 bleed tool (holds pot and tube on side of frame so you can pump lever and close nipple with either hand)

hope m4 piston tool (to help clean the pistons and keep pistons open fully during a bleed)

foxyrider
    Free Member

Made a spoke wrench from an old srewdriver, brake claiper wedge and hook and rope system to get the rear swingarm at the right level to get the pivot bolt/hole lined up (repeated bushing replacements on my old FSR).

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

hope M4 bleed tool (holds pot and tube on side of frame so you can pump lever and close nipple with either hand)

hope m4 piston tool (to help clean the pistons and keep pistons open fully during a bleed)

OOH fozzy, details please. Sounds like what I've been trying, and failing, to make.

aracer
    Free Member

(no photos not THAT impressed with them but they work)

The only other photo I've got is of my home-made compressor – in both cases just to post on here for information purposes, as I thought people would be interested to see what they looked like!

Have also made the usual headset press, a Hope splined mount disc lockring tool, a puller for removing a stuck DT freehub and a Ultratorque installation tool ("made" is pushing it a bit for the latter – involved an 8mm allen key and a hacksaw!)

Marge
    Free Member

I made a headset installation tool with 2 blocks of woods & a length of all-thread..
    It's worked ok for the last 4 headsets but the wood is starting to split a bit now.

JoeNation
    Free Member

I have a crown race setter and headset cup remover both made from an old frame (similar to OP). And better yet, I've just realized I can go out to my shed, take photos of them on my iphone, upload to flickr and post them on here in about 3 minutes…

alexpalacefan

5 min and counting 😉

A

JoeNation
    Free Member

OK fine, 11 minutes. But I had to set up my flickr account on my phone.

gravity-slave
    Free Member
    swamp_boy

Nice ideas there. I have section of railway line about 250mm long that makes an excellent anvil. I can't claim to have made it, but it got bl**dy heavy after carrying it for about half a mile, so I put some effort into getting it. Don't use it a lot for bike stuff, but it is useful for shaping things.

BTW its definitely an offcut – before anyone goes blaming me for any train accidents.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

My BMX freewheel removal socket (it's a ss thing) has a the crew on end from a skewer permenantly attached through the centre allowing it to be held in place on the wheel.

No more punching the patio as it slips off the side of the wheel!

scruff
    Free Member

Heaset press (big threaded bolt, nuts and wshers), wheeljig (Roger Musson), cassette removal whip (flat metal plate, hacksaw and BMX chain)

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Don't use it a lot for bike stuff, but it is useful for shaping things.

Shoeing horses…making bells…? I can only imagine the list is endless 😉

fozzybear
    Free Member

@aracer i wasn't having a go, just saying that mine weren't worthy of photos.. as they are just botch jobs, the hope tool is a block of wood,
    the press are washers and a threaded bar.
    i have a few nipple drivers i've made none are deemed good enough to photo though.. 🙂

@ChatsworthMusters it's a block of wood i want to refine it more so i can just drop it in and it sits in the caliper.. need some time to tidy it up first.

Hip
    Free Member

Here's a few of mine, the obligatory headset removal punch, a spoke tool and a 36mm spanner for the locknut on the old threaded headsets…

Also a wheel building stand with dishing tool (Pic here) as well as a studding headset press and various cone spanners, mostly made from other spanners… 😉

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

That last one looks a bit rude……….if a little square. Whats it for?

*edit* re-read…36mm spanner. d'oh!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Made a "compressor" for inflating tubeless tyres. Consists of the hose off my aldi track pump (now defunct) and a 5L garden sprayer 🙂

Enough to seat most tyres at about 35psi 🙂

jimmy

Headset press

robidoo
    Free Member

Chain whip, Take one old chain and screw it (with a decking screw) into the end of your work bench.
    Just hold wheel horizontally and wedge it against the bench and yer belly.
    Job done.
    P.S dont screw into block wall as it will pull out.
    Rob.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Ok, it's not a tool, but I was quite pleased with my recent homemade pivot bolt for my mates Scott:

Bit of garden cane courtesy of Wastwater YHA, whittled down to the right diameter, screwed in nice and tight, and then cut off to length.

It got us back over Hardknott Pass to Bike Treks at Ambleside anyway.

(when he actually lost the bolt, we had to make do with an allen key tied through the hole – not quite so nice, but that got us back to the yha)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘your homemade tools and skills?’ is closed to new replies.