Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Your advice needed: premature shock bushing wear
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m experiencing premature shock bushing wear. It’s a trusty 2008 tranceX. Prior to last year, a shock bushing would last 12 to 18 months and a set of bearings 24 months.

The bushing was last replaced in November and prior to that in July. It’s worn out again. I have barely ridden it over winter, favouring my HT. So why am I now going through shock bushings like they are going out of fashion?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Are you changing just the bush or the bush and what ever alloy reducer fits into it ?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

When i did it myself, the whole thing. Not sure now as LBS do it. You think it’s because they are only changing the bush?

large418
    Free Member

It’s a consumable, so buy 10 off ebay for a tenner, get yourself the tool to push it out for £20, and every time the bush wears out, treat the shock to a quick service while it’s out. It’s a 15 minute job to change the bush, and another 15 to service the shock. And it’ll cost less to do it 10 times than a bike shop will charge for one time.

Northwind

If the tophat’s worn or corroded it’ll increase wear (and also slacken up so that a knock comes up faster). Alu shock hardware is **** tbh.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Your advice needed: premature shock bushing wear’ is closed to new replies.