Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • you know you've turned to the darkside when…
  • swiss01
    Free Member

so i'm in my lbs this morning picking up (mtb) wheels and such like when the lbs owner catches me laughing at myself. what're you laughing at he asks.

i'm looking at your posh tyres (fifty pound per tyre!!!) and i'm thinking that those white walls would go really well with my white (road) bike.

he shook his head and had the good grace to laugh at me but not sell them to me.

truly, i am roadie scum…..

tracknicko
    Free Member

or when EVERY bike you pick up feels heavy.

or when you get in from an mtb ride and try to work out why your computer only says 12 miles. like the batteries might have started to go flat and missed some out.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Also as soon as you go for a ride on your MTB you feel you have to keep looking at the back tyre as you think you have a puncture constantly.

mogrim

Or you're looking forward to going to your mother-in-law's house, as there's some great road-riding round there…

Nice and cool this weekend, perfect for a 6hr ride around the Valle del Jerte area 8)

tracknicko
    Free Member

or you let go of the bars to reach for the drops and knock your teeth on your stem?

finbar
    Free Member

…you stop saying "darkside".

tracknicko
    Free Member

yeh id go with that one too.

MrBlond
    Free Member

…you wonder why you still have that mountainbike you haven't used in 6 months

swiss01
    Free Member

the look on my other half's face when she goes 'you spent how much on a carbon bottle cage'?

then after a futile weight argument which will inevitably descend into 'pull the other one fat boy' i'm reduced to the frankly pathetic 'but everyone else has got one' position.

to which she responds 'who? the rest of your gay mates.'

uplink
    Free Member

You wonder if the stem on your MTB would be better off inverted

swiss01
    Free Member

now i've just read the darkside comment aand realised i'm just after sending an email arranging some mtbing tomorrow so long as we can go out on our 'proper' bikes tonight.

where has it all gone wrong!!!!?

jonb
    Free Member

You have a summer and a winter road bike? Admittedly I also have two mtb for everyday and for "best".

njee20
    Free Member

or when EVERY bike you pick up feels heavy.

My winter road bike, which gets ridden more than anything else, weighs more than my MTB! Despite my hating it at first I've grown to love it, and when I went back to my nice road bike a few weeks ago it felt horrible! That really is perverse!

JtotheP68
    Free Member

You start to regard mountain bikers as unfit, overweight, kit obsessed idiots.

Mister-P
    Free Member

You buy a pair of overshoes.

titusrider
    Free Member

you think its acceptable to spend over £500 on wheels..

mogrim

the look on my other half's face when she goes 'you spent how much on a carbon bottle cage'?

then after a futile weight argument which will inevitably descend into 'pull the other one fat boy' i'm reduced to the frankly pathetic 'but everyone else has got one' position.

to which she responds 'who? the rest of your gay mates.'

lol!

The correct answer would be to simply ask her how many pairs of boots, bags, coats etc. she has.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

…you wonder why you still have that mountainbike you haven't used in 6 months

Amen – both MTBs languished in the shed for a couple of years before I finally 'let them go' and sold them. Getting the love back now, so it might be shopping time soon…….

brooess
    Free Member

On a Monday morning you realise you got more of a buzz out of the 35mph+ club sprint on the road bike on Saturday than you did in a 3 hour singleteack fest on Sunday. What's gone wrong 🙁

ourmaninthenorth

All of the above.

But most of all, you run out of technical excuses on leg shaving and just agree it's because it's just the way things are.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Your mates you ride mountain bikes with start calling you 'Ay roadie'

You endlessly try to lighten your MTB and suddenly start thinking reducing rolling resistance as much as you dare is a good idea as you;ll be faster up hill.

You are faster up hill.

You have the option of a Giant Anthem or a road bike and you buy the road bike 'cos my current FS isn't that far off a XC whippet bike, honest

Talkemada
    Free Member

truly, i am roadie scum…..

Heh! 😆

ROADIE SCUM; OFF OUR STREETS!

What about Fixies though, they're scum, surely?

FIXIE SCUM; OFF OUR STREETS!

But the Roadies are scum as well, they're both lots of scum?

Oh yeah…FIXIE AND ROADIE SCUM, OFF OUR STREETS!

Doesn't have the same ring to it though if you include both, does it?

No, not really…

crikey
    Free Member

You drive the three plus hours to Glentress and go out on a road bike ride, then try a very lack lustre lap of the red the next day…

oldgit
    Free Member

When you only wear shorts for racing.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I bought a road bike last year – while I do enjoy it, I'm afraid MTBing still takes MASSIVE priority.

Can't see myself ever preferring road biking but needed it to enter a few tris (open water swims, road rides, off road runs). I do enjoy the lightness, responsiveness and feeling of pure efficiency – mine's only a low rent 2010 Allez Elite but it still weighs naff all.

stoney
    Free Member

You go and buy something like this 😆

Soup
    Free Member

When you 'out' yourself on a mountain bike forum.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I have taken steps towards the Dark side as I saw lots of lovely road bikes in Spring wizzing along the roads.

Anyway a Cycle to Work scheme voucher arrived and I pick up my Specialized Allez Sport tomorrow!

£25 a month for a year. You'd be mad not to.

crazy-legs

I've gone past that stage. MTB -> CX -> Road, been there, done that.
    Now THIS is where it's at…

When you realise that nailing it round a track at 40mph inches away from a dozen others is just as good as a nice singletrack descent.

Truly darker than darkside… 😉

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Can't do it. Don't get me wrong. I love a road ride as much as most, but even my road bike has a mtb frame. I went the other way though, and rode my Pace for the first time in 2 months today after riding bmx exclusively for that period, the true darkside.

grahamt1980

kingkongsfinger – Member

Also as soon as you go for a ride on your MTB you feel you have to keep looking at the back tyre as you think you have a puncture constantly.

Sadly so true, however not enough to stop me using the mtb though

goldenwonder
    Free Member

When you buy new shoes, gloves & helmet when you realise your existing kit doesn't match your bike.

samuri
    Free Member

When you end up riding a gold bike and don't have a problem with it. 😉

doglover
    Free Member

thanks to Junkyard got a nifty ride, made a few upgrades and it's sweet, didn't realise it could be so much fun but in a completely different way to mtb !

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

For me it was the first time I thought “no I’ll go that way route as it has better & longer climbs” – that just wrong – I’ll be shaving my legs next

steve_b77
    Free Member

When you like wearing lycra 😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You break the news to your parents….

😉

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

You fall asleep most nights watching the Eurosport coverage of the Tour of Turkey and Tour of Romandie etc that you sky+'d while you were at work.

Yippee! Giro starts Saturday. Oh, and you own some Belgian booties.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Heh! I told a mate that I wear lycra shorts on their own (IE not under baggies) to ride me road bike; he looked at me like I'd just shat.

I bumped into another mate coming home from a road ride once, clad in me clingy shorts; he took one look at me, and said 'what TF are you doing mate?' 😆

It's more comfortable! 😳

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I'm thinking of losing the baggies for mtb stuff too. Look out in Winchester on Saturday. 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘you know you've turned to the darkside when…’ is closed to new replies.