Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You don't pay road tax.
  • IanMunro
    Free Member

You do now 😀

“New VED tax for new cars from 2017. It will apply in three bands. It will be used to fund a roads fund from the end of the decade.
    Osborne says this is a major reform to improve road, and to make the car tax system fairer.”

mintimperial

Oh great. 😐

CaptJon
    Free Member

I’ve always wondered what proportion of cyclists also drive, and therefore pay VED anyway.

kimbers

mintimperial

I’ve always wondered what proportion of cyclists also drive, and therefore pay VED anyway.

80% have licenses, according to the DfT (1st para).

slackboy

only if you drive a new car though.

So presumably drivers of 17reg cars will be able to knock older cars out of the way on the basis that “you don’t pay road tax”

PJM1974
    Free Member

Had a bloke shout at me the other week: “You don’t pay road tax!”

My response was that from the looks of his car, I pay more road tax than he does and if his logic held true, I’m more entitled to ride whatever I like on the road than he is.

He looked very confused.

ThePinkster

80% have licenses, according to the DfT (1st para).

But other drivers won’t see that, they’ll just see someone on a bike ‘using their road’.

Solo
    Free Member

^ The Emperor photo bombs Daf Vader?

mintimperial

But other drivers won’t see that, they’ll just see someone on a bike ‘using their road’.

Yep. We have a word for these people. Several, in fact, but the forum software replaces them with asterisks for some reason.

VED should be abolished, the difference should be put onto fuel. But this gov’t appears to have a total phobia of touching fuel duty, even though it’s the most obvious way to tax road usage in terms of environmental damage.

Maybe you could stick a tax on tyres too, if you want to even up for road wear. They could even apply it to bicycle tyres. Proportional to road damage, obviously. I’d be happy to pay for the ~5p worth of “damage” my bikes cause to the roads every year if it went some way towards shutting up the sort of utter scrotum who thinks yelling ‘Pay road tax!’ is anything other than an public advertisement of their stunningly minimal IQ.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Better yet, impose a punitive tax upon blemlordery, a “knob-jockey levy” if you will.

Westminster could fund the entire nation from this.

ransos
    Free Member

Had a bloke shout at me the other week: “You don’t pay road tax!”

To which you say “buy a bike, then”.

muddy9mtb

yawn…not another debate on this…switch off!! biscuit anyone

GrahamS

Oh for pitysake!

So basically George Osborne has just announced that he thinks Churchill was wrong (despite the fact that any cyclist will tell you he was spot on) and that a hypothecated road fund is actually a splendid idea.

Marvellous. Thanks George.

*adds another point to the long list of reasons never to vote Tory*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘You don't pay road tax.’ is closed to new replies.