Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • You can't speak the truth any more…
  • DrJ

Nick Clegg strikes again!

footflaps

Could she have picked a more controversial subject?

clubber
    Free Member

It’s not the truth, it’s her opinion…

Besides, when could or did politicians ever speak the truth? Not for a very long time IMO.

wwaswas

It’s not the truth, it’s her opinion…

This. She’s allowed to say what she likes but if she wants to be a member of the club called ‘LibDems’ she has to abide by the rules.

(I do tend to agree with her though – particularly the bit about US withdrawal of financial support)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Nope, it’s the truth.

Nothing is going to be wherever it is, forever…

binners

Israel is acting against international law, the Geneva Conventions, and human rights.

that’s not her opinion clubber, that’s a fact

clubber
    Free Member

Possibly binners (can’t claim to be an expert in that area) but this isn’t:

A Liberal Democrat peer has resigned from the party after saying Israel “is not going to be there forever”.

Baroness Tonge also told a university audience that the country would “reap what it’s sown” in the Middle East – drawing criticism from party leader Nick Clegg and Labour’s Ed Miliband.

(yes, I know factually, nothing will be there forever but that clearly isn’t what she was implying)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Today’s BH-Suck-Pool is brought to you by McVities Chocolate Hob-nobs.

dabble
    Free Member

Fair play to her for sticking to her guns i say.

binners

I’d say, if Iran gets its way, then ultimately…..

She may have a point

atlaz
    Free Member

But likewise you can say that about most countries and someone who hates them. I bet even the Swiss have someone who’d like to nuke them; maybe the belgians over the whole chocolate thing?

grum
    Free Member

Does she actually say that Israel won’t be there forever, or that American funding of Israel won’t be there forever? If you read the actual quote in the story rather than the paraphrasing.

And binners, all that stuff about Iran supposedly saying they want to ‘wipe Israel off the map’ is cobblers. They’re not big fans obviously but why would they be?

clubber
    Free Member

Still opinion though isn’t it?

binners

Grum. Alright, the actual ‘wipe Israel off the map’ quote was taken out of context

But at the end of the day, Iran is a nation run by a bunch of fundamentalist nut jobs, and is relentless in its quest to develop nuclear weapons. Actually, exactly the same could be said of Israel too, only they’ve already got nukes

ourmaninthenorth

Where she went wrong was addressing people at the University of Middlesex. Clearly a made up institution.

martinhutch

The University of Middlesex won’t be there forever. Not with the LibDems supporting the fees hike….

clubber
    Free Member

Iran is a nation run by a bunch of fundamentalist nut jobs, and is relentless in its quest to develop nuclear weapons

You’re just stirring now 🙂

Mind you, I’d argue, irrespective of your views of Iranian leadership, the sensible thing to do is for them to develop nuclear weapons. The West has clearly demonstrated that having them will ensure that while you’ll be threatened and embargoed you won’t get invaded – eg N. Korea.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Mmmm. Hobnobs.

br
    Free Member

She was sacked as a health spokeswoman in 2010 after she claimed Israeli troops sent to Haiti after the earthquake there were trafficking organs.

She certainly has anti-Israeli form…

clubber
    Free Member

I was thinking Fox’s Viennese

binners

I agree with you completely clubber. History has shown that if you’re in the nuclear club you get left well alone. If I was I’m-a-dinner-jacket, I’d be hell bent on getting hold of them too

Philby

The most likely scenario is that the LibDems won’t be there for ever.

CaptJon
    Free Member

What sensible person would want to be an MP if your opinions are formed for you by party wonks?

wrecker
    Free Member

What a hateful woman. British politics is far better off without her.

grum
    Free Member

Why does not being a fan of one of the worst pariah states make her a hateful woman?

binners

I know. How could anyone possibly take issue with a nation that behaves as impeccably as the Israelis? 🙄

scaredypants

BH-Suck-Pool

WTF’s that ??

wrecker
    Free Member

How could anyone possibly take issue with a nation that behaves as impeccably as the Israelis?

Regardless, it’s still hateful. There are PLENTY of nations who behave terribly (we don’t have a great track record ourselves).
    Oh well, she’s gone now. No point wasting breath on her is it?

footflaps

one sugar or two?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Dark chocco Hobnobs! OMG!!

Lifer
    Free Member

I think (hope) that a big change in Israel will be due to internal politics not external influence.

binners

The only thing that’ll change Israels behavior is if the Americans stop constantly indulging its every request.

And that just isn’t going to happen

Lifer
    Free Member

There’s plenty of internal strife between the state, the Haredim and moderate Jews and secular Israelis and between the different ultra-orthodox sects.

10% of the population is Hasidic but they make up 61% of 1st grade pupils in Israeli schools. The economic implications of this are massive let alone the social implications.

binners

Are they the ones with the hats and curls? I thought they all spent their days driving Volvos around Prestwich?

clubber
    Free Member

But she said it definitely was going to happen!

Lifer
    Free Member

binners – Member
    Are they the ones with the hats and curls?

Yup and in Israel the men prefer full time Torah study to work which mean the state pays massive benefits to these communities (60% of Haredi men are unemployed and the average number of chidren per family is 8).

Lifer
    Free Member

Recent Guardian piece highlighting other areas of internal tension

The massive Haredi birth rate sustains the Jewish element of the population. It also means that the proportion of Israel’s population who are ultra-orthodox has rocketed to more than 10%, with the vast majority of Haredi males going into yeshiva learning rather than completing their national service. Full-time Torah study used to be the preserve of only the most talented and able-minded scholars, while the rest worked for a living and contributed to the upkeep of the students.

However, the fiscal capitulation of successive Israeli governments to the Haredim has meant almost every adult Haredi male can now afford to eschew paid employment in favour of yeshiva study, to the chagrin of secular Israeli society. Their sense of injustice is heightened over the issue of national service, and rightly so, yet their pleas to the Haredim to do their bit fall on deaf ears.

binners

Cheers Lifer. I shall have a read of that.

Every days a school day on here 😀

richc
    Free Member

b r – Member

She was sacked as a health spokeswoman in 2010 after she claimed Israeli troops sent to Haiti after the earthquake there were trafficking organs.

She certainly has anti-Israeli form…

Doesn’t mean it isn’t true.

http://www.wrmea.com/component/content/article/321-2009-november/6602-israeli-organ-trafficking-and-theft-from-moldova-to-palestine.html

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘You can't speak the truth any more…’ is closed to new replies.