Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Yeti ASR5 Aluminium XT Race build
  • brianh
    Free Member

Yeti ASR5 Aluminium XT Race build £3895 is it worth it 😕

dogbone

I’ve just built up a Yeti 5 alloy for about £3600.

Yeti Alloy
    Rock Shox Revelation RCT3
    Full XT
    Hope Race brakes & floating rotors
    Reverb seat post
    easton carbon bars
    haven stem
    XTR pedals
    Hope Hoops Pro 2 Stans Crest
    High Rollers 2.35 LUSH

LBS price matched the frame and Hope bits. Rest from Merlin, CRC and Germany.

iBaa
    Free Member

I brought a 2011 custom build ASR5 Alloy second hand from this forum for £1750 and bloody love it.

brianh
    Free Member

Dogbone that sounds like a nice build and good to have a custom spec. I have been looking at the Yeti XT race build but the enduro build is about £600 cheaper – not sure which way to go on this – I demo’d a XT race build and it was excellent.

brianh
    Free Member

iBaa thats a great price you got on the ASR5 – which build is it and what type of riding do you do? Reviews say it is a bit stiff over the rough stuff, but climbs great.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Shock set up affects the ride quite allot IME. Its not a sofa, but you can hammer anything at say CyB without a problem. I ‘ve ridden a fair bit of natural techy rocky descents / steps (both fast + slow twisters) without feeling I needed anything plusher. (140 forks). Fun bike.

brianh
    Free Member

Mal-ec I demo’d one last week and I had great ride on it – I ride mostly Llandegla, Marin trail etc and want a new bike to replace my old stumpy elite fsr. Just need to decide if it really is worth the £££’s for a Yeti and which spec to go for.

lotus777
    Free Member

dogbone, how does the maxxis HR 2.35 fit in the back. much clearance ?
    i find a nobby nic 2.25 is about as wide as i can go on the rear(which is by no means a problem).

dogbone

Just fine. Wouldn’t go any bigger. Have heli taped the side of the swing arm to stop mud wearing a grove on the inside.

imnotverygood

Dogbone, what sort of weight does that build add up to?

campfreddie
    Free Member

i too have just built up a yeti asr5 alloy.

fox f120 fit forks
    2012 rs reberb post
    raceface turbine bars
    xtr shadow rear mech
    xt other gubbins
    formula rx brakes
    stans arch ex on pro ii evos
    etc etc

best not say what it cost me to build up… (it might upset some people)

… having said that… if i was going again, i would make sure i had 140mm forks on the front.

awesome bike!

dogbone

I’ll get it weighted tomorrow when I go to the LBS for the new saddle.

Just did a lap of Cwncarn this morning. Thought so far;

Great frame. Happiest when going as fast as possible.
    Revelation RCT3s are much smoother than the RLTs I had before. Have them set at 130mm travel but only used 100mm (need to play with the setting). Now I understand what ‘buttery smooth’ means.
    Loving the 2×10 set up.
    Loving the XTR trail pedals. Much more support than the old ones.

negatives;
    I need to get fitter .
    Should have got the turquoise one.

Kryton57

Mine was ex demo car park miles only, stem and bar swapped from bontrager items (why, I don’t know but now replaced with Thompson / easton) – £2250.

I test rode 8 120mm bikes before this and as soon as I sat on an ASR-5 I knew it was “the one”.

Would I pay £3800 over say £2300 for a Trek EX8 / ‘dale RZ120 / Specialized?, Nnnngggggg maybe 5 years ago but now my riding frequency will be affected by 2 growing kids the first of which will want weeknd sports involvment soon I’m more inclined to go off-the-shelf-mass-production if I need to change the ASR-5 in future.

Of course, I say that now….

variflex
    Free Member

By shopping around you should be able to build up an XT based ASR5 for around £3500.

I did mine for not much more with XTR back in November using some of the “spend 100 pounds and get a 50 pound voucher” from CRC at the time which helped.

The cheapest way to buy a groupset is via the German sites especially with the strong pound at the moment.

So with some haggling:

ASR5 Frame and Fox 32 140mm forks = £2k
    Group set (XT including brakes) = £490
    Disks = £60
    Wheels = £400
    Easton Haven Bar = £70
    Easton Haven Stem = £70
    Tyres = £60
    Grips = £20
    Reverb Seatpost = £180

Cost = £3350

so room for more goodies like headset, saddle etc.

Go for it, its a great bike!

dogbone

27.15lbs.

imnotverygood

ta

iBaa
    Free Member

Sorry, been out riding and forgot to reply to your question.

I also ride Llandegla, Cannock and local trails. I agree with the climbs great, I just need to get my fitness back and my drop the forks to 120mm to balance the bike a little better. It certainly flies over the rough stuff when you hammer it!

The build of the bike is as below:-
    Fox Float Fork RL32 set at 140mm 15mm through axle
    Hope Tapered Headset
    Truavtiv Carbon Chainset
    Hope Factory Wheels Pro 3 Hubs and Stans ZTR 355 rims
    XTR Front Mech
    Sram XO 9 speed shifters (Red)
    Sram XO Rear Mech (Red)
    Magura Marta SL Brakes (Red)
    Race Face Low Riser Carbon Bars
    Raceface 50mm Stem
    Reverb Seatpost
    Jagwire Red external cabling
    SDG Saddle
    Sram Cassette
    Sram Chain
    maxxis aspen 2.1

Weighing in at just under 25lbs when I brought it, i changed to a reverb seat post and the maxxis aspen 2.1 tyres and need to weigh it again to see the difference.

brianh
    Free Member

iBaa thats a good deal you got, and sounds like the bike suits local trails very well. Do you think its worth considering the reverb seatpost ?

I am looking towards probably the XT race build in aluminium with 127 mm forks, just need to negotiate the right deal and sell my Stumpy!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Yeti ASR5 Aluminium XT Race build’ is closed to new replies.