Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Yet another bike insurance question
  • raymeridians
    Free Member

It’s renewal time, and I’ve just discovered we don’t have the cover that I thought we had.

Any recommendations for providers that will cover:
    – bike value over £3000
    – cover when locked inside a car
    – sufficient home cover to accomodate N+1

I can find policies that do two of the above but not all three. PedalCover/AXA doesn’t do the second, AA has a single item limit of £2000.

Thank you.

tomdebruin
    Free Member

pedalcover.co.uk. Had excellent service from them.

tomdebruin
    Free Member

Damn. I just read your post properly. 🙁

MoreCashThanDash

Just get them specified on a normal household policy. Cost £38 to add £2.5k bike with Esure.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Doesn’t pedal cover insure whilst in car? Thought they did, sure I asked that question when I took out the policy.

legend
    Free Member

Larry_Lamb – Member
    Doesn’t pedal cover insure whilst in car? Thought they did, sure I asked that question when I took out the policy.

I’m pretty sure they do too. Could check my documents…. but lazy

bensales
    Free Member

Pedalcover certainly do do the locked in the car. It’s classed as ‘away from home’ cover.

eskay

pedalcover used to cover bikes in cars, I need to check my renewal!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Another one thinking pedalcover do cover in the car, and on flights, as those were questions I asked.

Kuco

I use yellow jersey, they cover for in the car.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Bradford & Bingley. Specified bike single article limiti at 5k (set by me) and cover away from home as long lovely caked to stationary object and cover for when locked in car, something like £40 in additional premium for the year

iain1775
    Free Member

^ they don’t cover in a locked car, only locked to a bike rack outside the car
    I phoned B&B up this time last year, as well as NFU, AA and a couple more all confirmed they cannot offer that cover and sounded suprised that my current insurer (Pedalcover) did

Pedalcover definitely do. I have just had that confirmed (Hugh) when renewing the policy this morning

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

NFU do so long as the bike is logged with them, otherwise it would be a limit £600(ish) per item. Adding the bike increased our household insurance by £70 a year.

funkweasel
    Free Member

Who’s your house insurance with?
    I have all that, up to £3500 per bike, full accidental damage/ theft (from a locked vehicle/locked with something good)
    With Aviva.
    It’s never locked up… It’s either inside, in a locked car, or I’m riding it.

bennn
    Free Member

You can specify items over the £2k limit with AA, I’m insured with them for a bike worth more than this, underwritten by AXA if I remember rightly.

MrAgreeable

Pedalcover’s policy excludes “Theft from an unattended motor vehicle unless the personal possessions are concealed from view and the vehicle is locked.” So it sounds like as long as they’re in the boot or under a blanket, you’re OK. Still be interested to hear from anyone who’s had to claim from them though.

iain1775
    Free Member

You can specify items over the £2k limit with AA, I’m insured with them for a bike worth more than this, underwritten by AXA if I remember rightly.

You can but it doesn’t cover them in a locked car, only locked to an immovable object
    They clasify a bike rack on the roof or boot of a car as immovable. But still will not cover it if it is locked to the car, inside the locked car!

Pedalcover’s policy excludes “Theft from an unattended motor vehicle unless the personal possessions are concealed from view and the vehicle is locked.” So it sounds like as long as they’re in the boot or under a blanket, you’re OK

Hugh at Pedalcover confirmed this to me yesterday, under a blanket across the back seats is okay
    How you prove they where under a blanket if the blanket is also stolen is another matter….

iain1775
    Free Member

funkweasel – Member
    Who’s your house insurance with?
    I have all that, up to £3500 per bike, full accidental damage/ theft (from a locked vehicle/locked with something good)
    With Aviva.
    It’s never locked up… It’s either inside, in a locked car, or I’m riding it.

I’d check with them again funkweasel, when I asked Aviva they said inside a locked car was not covered under any policy they offer, again it was only if secured to a lockable bike rack attached to the car

oldeh
    Free Member

I use bikmo. I know they so 2 of the 3 things you want so worth checking out

grizedaleforest

How you prove they where under a blanket if the blanket is also stolen is another matter…

…is they steal the car too…

andyl
    Free Member

ow you prove they where under a blanket if the blanket is also stolen is another matter…

get a blanket policy that covers all eventualities of course 😉

ThePinkster

I’m pretty sure my M&S household contents insurance covered all that for not much more than what you’re paying just for the bikes.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Yet another bike insurance question’ is closed to new replies.