Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • YES JENSEN! (contains spoilers)
  • gohan
    Free Member

fluffing well done you bearded man! WHOOP!!!!!!!!!!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Delighted for him after being eclipsed by Hamilton.
    Would be great to see the two of them battling it out next season.

Hadge
    Free Member

Not only that but what a brilliant drive to win it! He certainly didn't hold back with some of his over-taking moves! Gutsy balls out drive today and congratulations Jensen.

badblood
    Free Member

He has certainly earned this one. Hamiltons was well done but Jenson has put up with soo much in the years prior to this. Very well deserved and yes, what a drive!

Junkyard
    Free Member

YOU ARE AN IDIOT WHY GIVE THAT TITLE AND THEN SAY SPOILER LIKE NO ONE WILL REALISE WHAT IT MEANS IF THEY DONT READ THE THREAD.

grumm
    Free Member

JENSEN BUTTON HAS WON THE DRIVERS CHAMPIONSHIP (SPOILER)

slowrider
    Free Member

lol so glad im not a F1 fan or id be gutted at this spoiler fail

the-muffin-man

Stunning race, who says there's no overtaking in F1, and a pitlane fire as well – brilliant driving by Jenson, great drive again by Lewis and what about Kobayashi – he certainly provided plenty of entertainment!!

goon
    Free Member

JensOn.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Stupid first name, epic overtaking – an object lesson to any F1 drivers since the era of Gille Villeneuve in how to overtake. Is it my imagination or is Jenson the first British world champ to take the crown from another British champ?

gohan
    Free Member

PJM you are correct, and what a race, what a season, one more to go as well! i just hope next season is just as good! 😀

stufield
    Free Member

PJM sorry but your not correct, Brits have won the F1 title in back to back years before in the 60's

Hill, Clark, Sturtees, Clark (1962-65)

Hill, Stewart (1968-1969)

Andy-W
    Free Member

"Don't read this but Jenson is the World Champ"

Cheers I wont bother watching it now

Rich
    Free Member

I'd already heard it on the news, inconsiderate ba*****ds.

flip
    Free Member

Surely the whole team won it not just Mr Button 😉

uplink
    Free Member

The boy did good
    He went out & made it happen rather than waiting for others to do their stuff – impressive drive

rOcKeTdOg

will he get a pussycat doll now then?

clareymorris

Doesn't Hamilton have to hand his back now?

hora
    Free Member

I'm soo glad Im not a F1 fan this year otherwise I'd be really upset and I honestly did not cringe when Mutton said 'we are the champions'. No not at all. Even Mansell deserved his win more.

Doesn't Hamilton have to hand his back now?

No hes keeping the Pussycat doll for abit longer.

uplink
    Free Member

He's not doing too badly on that front

uplink
    Free Member

Go on then Hora – I'm up for a laugh
    Why would Button winning [if you were an F1 fan] upset you?

rOcKeTdOg

because he's kept the same car all year long and not had 15 and sold them all on?

clubber
    Free Member

I'll bet that Hora's non-endorsement of Button's title will have taken the shine off it for him… 🙄

clubber
    Free Member

FWIW, I don't think JB's the best/most complete F1 driver (probably Alonso and possibly in a years or two, Hamilton) but he's unquestionably a fast driver but just rather more dependent on the car being right (not necessarily the fastest, just suiting his style) than the very best guys. Anyone who suggests he's crap clearly doesn't have a clue about motorsport and can safely be ignored.

Yesterday, as was confirmed by his dad after the race, he'd clearly decided that he was just going to go for it since playing safe was going to get nothing from 14th and pulled off some brilliant moves that showed just what he can do.

grumm
    Free Member

Strange though how imo Jensen Button comes across as much more of a **** than Hamilton, yet far less people seem to hate him.

clubber
    Free Member

Interesting, I'd suggest that JB seems much more of a rounded/nice bloke than LH who just seems to have spent too long being groomed for F1 to have any real personality out of the car (or at least, that we ever see…)

Also, a mate of a mate (I know but I do believe that in this case it's true…) was on a stag do with JB for a mutual friend and says that JB was a great bloke, not remotely flash and good company.

hora
    Free Member

160 starts and suddenly this year hes in a car that had an amazing head start on all the others…

Then there was Brawn who was the technical representative who didnt pass on all the information from FIA to teams on the diffuser. Didnt the Ferrari President call Brawn dishonest over that at the beginning of the season? Gave Brawn a massive advantage but as the season progressed so did they regress back and the others start catching… Another couple of races added onto this season and would Button have won the Championship still? NO.

Hamilton made alot of mistakes but then he also stamped on alot of people as well. Not a fan. I see 2008/09 as the grey year of F1. Much like 1997.

uplink
    Free Member

I'm with clubber – if I had to take one of them as a drinking partner for an evening, it wouldn't be Hamilton
    In the tosser world, Hamilton is a few positions above JB

As a driver, I think Hamilton has it over him though

As I mentioned on an earlier thread though, if Rosberg gets in a Brawn & it's competitive, I think he'll show both of them a clean pair of heels

hora
    Free Member

I dont know either driver- how do you guys? They arent actors. Your looking at sound bites and snatched moments of interviews to build an idea of someones personality? The magic of internet-dwellers. Marvelous.

uplink
    Free Member

A lot of 'what ifs' Hora 😀

If Tuesday falls on Wednesday this week the world will explode too

nicko74

I'd love to see the first 4 races not count and there be 4 more added to the end, to see what a more level playing field from the start would have looked like. Don't get me wrong, the boy done good, but the first handful of races really skewed it in his favour.

grumm
    Free Member

I dont know either driver- how do you guys?

A good friend of mine went to school with Button – says he's a cock. Combined with how he comes across on telly it's good enough for me. 🙂

thepurist

Or looking at it the other way round hora, 100+ starts in cars that weren't capable of winning, whereas other average/quick drivers around him were in better cars and so got the results and somehow got perceived as better than Button. Off the top of my head about the only WDC I'd really question over the last 20 odd years is Keke Rosberg – who only won because of Pironi & Villeneuve's accidents.

Hill & Villeneuve also lucked out with a car that was massively quicker than the competition – we're talking seconds, not the tenths that Brawn had at the start of the year.

Button's not in the Alonso/Shumy mode of someone who can wring a performance out of a car that isn't behaving how he wants it to (but then neither could Hamilton at the start of this year) but when the car is under him he is as good as many of them. He's also known for looking after the car quite well – again, look at Hamilton's habit of shredding tyres – and as we've seen he can actually overtake people on the track. All of that could work well for him next year as long as he gets a competitive car from Brawn.

To cite the Nico Rosberg example – he's done a stint at Williams and pulled out some good results (as did Button), has become highly thought of (as did Button) and is now moving to a team that looks promising at the moment (as did Button). What if next year's Brawn turns out to be a dog, Rosberg scores 20 points all season then goes to Lotus for 2011 and they have a stellar car and wins the WDC. Is Rosberg then an undeserving WDC?

dawson

+1 for both of Clubber's comments

coffeeking
    Free Member

because he's kept the same car all year long and not had 15 and sold them all on?

😆 Post of the week so far.

clubber
    Free Member

Hora, you really are either ignorant, aren't you. Just because I like banging my head up against a short plank.

Then there was Brawn who was the technical representative who didnt pass on all the information from FIA to teams on the diffuser.

Actually, he argued for a tightening up of the rules when they were setting them since he could see all sort of loop holes. They weren't closed at other teams' insistence and so unsuprisingly he used the loopholes – that's what F1 design has always been about and TBH I'd much rather that clever human interpretation comes up with quick cars than endless iterations from CFD supercomputers which just reward the teams with the most money/resource.

Didnt the Ferrari President call Brawn dishonest over that at the beginning of the season?

So, the guys whose cars are a bit crap because they missed a trick aren't happy. There's a suprise. De Montezemolo is gloriously Italian anyway and has made any number of similar comments over the years and when you consider some of the legal defences Ferrari have got away with over the years (eg the bargeboards) then it's really a case of pot/kettle anyway.

Gave Brawn a massive advantage but as the season progressed so did they regress back and the others start catching…

What's your point? Brawn don't have the resources of many of the bigger teams that are now quicker (my point about CFD above for a start) so you're saying that this should somehow be held against Button? Besides Brawn weren't the only team to have the DDD at the start of the season.

Another couple of races added onto this season and would Button have won the Championship still?

Possibly not but then you could say that about some Schumacher or Senna WC wins too so it's clearly irrelevent as usual.

nicko – a fair point but then you could argue the exact oppposite – the Brawn is clearly no longer the class of the field so maybe the recent races where JB's been losing out shouldn't count either. F1 is never fair since cars aren't all the same. It's about taking the opportunities presented.

charliemort

JB did our local Triathlon last year (Sevenoaks)- really nice guy. Photos with all the kids, stayed around at the end to give prizes, donated a race suit to charity.

And he came about 10th

coffeeking
    Free Member

If the whole car was part of the formula and pits and tyre choices were dictated you could find the "best" driver. Since only some parts are dictated any team that can find an advantage will, and any driver for that team has a better chance of winning, it makes the race far more interesting but obviously ends with people questioning whether it was the car, the person, the team etc. These arguments can never be answered as there are too many variables – so people on STW will bitch and moan forever, some in miserable "doesnt deserve it" mode, some in "he's ace, clearly" mode. None of it matters, what's done is done. Move along.

From a personality point of view, JB seems to come across as a nicer chap. Hard to tell without meeting him, and I'm sure the media can cast it either way with the editing hand. LH comes across as boring and as fun as a housebrick, but then so did Mansell but somehow mansell still seemed like a nice chap.

Good luck to the chap, either way I'm glad to see a UK driver winning.

mike_p
    Free Member

The difference between Button & Hamilton can be summed up in one word… entitlement.

Hamilton has an in-built, and carefully nurtured, sense of it and is accused of being arrogant as a result. Personally I that's unfair if he can also walk the walk, which he does ever so impressively.

On the other hand Button appears (to me) to be racked with self-doubt, which is maybe why he's sensational when the car's to his liking but lags behind when it's not.

A worthy champion though, let's not forget that he monstered his team mate over those first half-dozen races as well as everyone else.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Of course Jenson sometimes comes across as a cock. That's because he is a human being. And find me a single person on this planet who wasn't a cock when at school.

I used to know Jenson a little bit when we were both racing karts – he is a bit younger than me so we were never in the same race. He was always a cut above the rest and both he and his dad were really decent people. I have never met Hamilton, but he and his dad don't seem to be as "natural" probably due to being groomed from a very early age.

It's a bit like Prost and Senna. Senna could wring a performance out of any car, Prost needed it to be set up exactly or he struggled. I think that if the car is perfect for him, Jenson is as quick as anyone, when the car is not so good he struggles.

But Jenson can overtake better than anyone in F1 these days. It's funny how Damon Hill was criticised for not overtaking although starting on the front row of the grid meant he never had to, but Jenson is criticised for qualifying badly and working his way through the field.

Anyway, I am really happy for him, it's thoroughly deserved, and I suspect now the pressure is off, he will go even faster.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘YES JENSEN! (contains spoilers)’ is closed to new replies.