Home Forums Bike Forum XX1 users – Using a 10 speed Powerlink

• This topic has 19 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • XX1 users – Using a 10 speed Powerlink
  • Schweiz
    Free Member

So my XX1 is 1 ride old. It didn’t self-destruct and I didn’t lose the chain.

I’m running a 10 speed KMC powerlink rather than the 11 speed SRAM powerlock. I want to maintain the easy serviceability of the system that I have grown used to on 10 and 9 speed setups

The 10 speed link sits properly on the chainrings and the cassette. It joins easily and doesn’t have any play. I didn’t measure it but I assume it is slightly wider however there is no rubbing at any point. The distance between the pins may is superficially the same and as I said, it runs perfectly (need to measure the pin-pin distance with the calipers tonight)

My only concern is that any minor differences in dimensions could lead to premature wear in the cassette or chainring. Obviously, having the measurements to hand would help quantify this risk.

Anyone have any opinion or experience on this?

Cheers
    Schweiz

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think* XX1 stuff is the same as 10 speed, just a wider cassette? I’ve run 9s connectors on 10s since I switched with no known problems.

*I am not a SRAM person

aracer
    Free Member

No idea about what you’re doing, but KMC do make 11 speed chains and links.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No idea about what you’re doing, but KMC do make 11 speed chains and links.

Campag sized (and therefore tiny) though surely?

Schweiz
    Free Member

SRAM would have you believe that there’s a bit more to it. Anyway, checking the actual measurements will be the key.

aracer – no, those are campagnolo chains only

Duane…
    Free Member

I thought 10sp quick links were a pain to use, ie you need a tool for them (which doesn’t make them very “quick”..)

Schweiz
    Free Member

Duane,

SRAM only makes a powerlock for 10sp and 11sp which is not reopenable after it is closed.

KNC make a 10speed powerlink (reopenable) but not yet an 11 speed one

phil.w
    Free Member

SRAM only makes a powerlock for 10sp and 11sp which is not reopenable after it is closed

You can open them. Just use a set of pliers set diagonally across the link. And they re-close after.

Don’t believe the hype marketing. :-)

100mphplus
    Free Member

I bought the two sets of pliers and have re-used links for a year now.

Prior to buying the opening pliers I used lock wire and normal pliers to ‘squeeze’ the links together and open the powerlock.

Duane…
    Free Member

Ah right OK, thanks, it’s a SRAM 1071 chain if I remember correctly. Will get some KNC quicklinks then.

Schweiz
    Free Member

I’m not sure that using pliers to open the powerlock is any big improvement over just using a chain tool. My experience is that the powerlock is a very tight interference fit and probably relies on deformation of the plates to engage. It’s good to hear that you have been using them successfully however I assume that the strength/robustness of the link is compromised.

Anyway, anyone using a 10 speed powerlink on XX1?

DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect this thread but it seemed silly to start another with the same question.

Anyway, since we now have lots of narrow/wide chainrings compatible across 10 and 11 speed this leads me to believe that the spacing between links can’t be any further spaced apart between the two. Then there is the question of chain width but I can’t imagine MTB chains going much thinner than the current 10 speed ones… which leads me to think this is true:

I think* XX1 stuff is the same as 10 speed, just a wider cassette?

I have just put an order in for XX1 but don’t want to use the SRAM Powerlock Link which is intended to be permanent. Has anyone been having success with a 10 speed KMC quick link on XX1?

Thanks!

Schweiz
    Free Member

Yes, no problems at all using the KMC 10 speed link. Been running it ever since I posted this thread originally!

DanW
    Free Member

Great news, thanks for the update Schweiz.

I wonder if a kmc x10 sl would work on XX1? I have a few of these lying around and always preferred them to the SRAM and Shimano chains of old (new ones may have improved)

DanW
    Free Member

A quick internet search suggests that any 10 speed chain should be fine with XX1. SRAM just claim better function of their XX1 chain and rings together than other options although since I will be using an Absolute Black ring it is a moot point

mashiehood
    Free Member

I have been running a 10 speed chain on an XX1 ring for almost 7 months without an issue – with a 10 speed power link.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s never been an issue on rings – you can run a 5 speed chain on an XX1 chainset without issue, where you have problems is in the cassette, although it seems in this instance even that’s fine.

So what is different about the 11 speed chain?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

im sticking with the xx1 chain for now, its very very quiet and has done a couple of really muddy/tough climby peak rides and had no issue

ive always run kmc x10sl chains before but the last 2 for some reason i managed to keep snapping on my 1×10 setup

this time im going to give the xx1 chain a go and hope it lasts well, no reason not to really as its not that much dearer than the kmc chains

br
    Free Member

I have just put an order in for XX1 but don’t want to use the SRAM Powerlock Link which is intended to be permanent.

Surely for XX1 which SRAM advertise about how you can use different sized front rings depending on where you’re riding, the quick links should easily part – as per 9spd?

DanW
    Free Member

I have been running a 10 speed chain on an XX1 ring for almost 7 months without an issue – with a 10 speed power link.

That is good to know, thanks. The motivation for KMC X-10sl is partially a small weight saving (minor) but mainly because a KMC can be had for £20 (ebay far East) where the XX1 seems to be £35-40. The chain seems to be lasting well though so I wouldn’t foresee too many new chain hopefully.

It’s never been an issue on rings – you can run a 5 speed chain on an XX1 chainset without issue, where you have problems is in the cassette, although it seems in this instance even that’s fine.

So what is different about the 11 speed chain?

I think the main point when discussed on MTBR is that SRAM reckon their XX1 chain meshes best with their XX1 rings from a retention point of view. Aside from that I don’t think there is any difference between XX1 11 speed chain and any 10 speed. A lack of some profiling on the links was mentioned which would make the XX1 chain pretty poor with a front mech but that is all I could find…

Companies producing N/W rings seem to recommend a 10 speed chain even in an otherwise 9 speed drivetrain so there seems to be something important 10/ 11 vs 9 speed chain-wise. Not sure what though, tolerances to mesh well with N/W rings rather than actual spacings perhaps???

im sticking with the xx1 chain for now

I bought an XX1 chain too but just got curious after pressing “buy” :D

Edit:

Surely for XX1 which SRAM advertise about how you can use different sized front rings depending on where you’re riding, the quick links should easily part – as per 9spd?

From what I can tell SRAM 9 speed “powerlink” and 10/ 11 speed SRAM “powerlock” are in fact different. I agree it seems daft to have a permanent link which is what prompted the thread ressurection :D

From the CRC description:

IMPORTANT: 10sp & 11sp Links are POWERLOCK, they fit together but then are not designed to come apart again.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘XX1 users – Using a 10 speed Powerlink’ is closed to new replies.