Home Forums Bike Forum XTR Trail pedals – any experiences?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • XTR Trail pedals – any experiences?
  • sweaman2
    Free Member

Looking for some new pedals with a bit of a platform. I can get the Shimano XTR trail pedals for almost the same price as the XT ones. But couple of quick questions if anybody has them…

Any reason not to get the XTR over the XT?

Anybody upgraded from the DX647 pedals? As easy to clip in/out? Those have a pop up binding which I think makes the contact area larger?

Any thoughts appreciated…

tomhoward

Iirc there is an issue with the axles snapping on the XTRs that doesn’t affect XTs, shim will warranty the XTRs if they do go pop, just a PITA if it dies when you’re miles from home. I went for XTs…

robarnold
    Free Member

What Tom said, happened to mine a few months ago but no issues with the warranty, was a PITA getting off the hill with only one foot in though.

Lovely light pedals, smooth bearings, bling looking. I see it as every time they fail I get a replacement pair and a free pair of cleats!

Does anyone know if they’ve addressed the issue with the axles?

njee20
    Free Member

They’re not that light though. The reason to buy Shimano was the fact they will last forever, as that seems to be an issue with current XTR I’d just be getting XT.

stayhigh

I’ve been using them for about 3 months without issue and have no trouble with them. I had heard that the axle issue was on the early production runs hut could just be bike shop bs. I’m not sure I’d buy them again though, provably XT or M530 instead.

Leku
    Free Member

I have both XT and XTR. Both over a year old and no issues with them. Prefer the action of the XTR ones.

maxtorque

The XTR ones have little gold collars on them that match the colour scheme of my bike…….. Small things and all that ;-)

sweaman2
    Free Member

Thanks all. I had a nagging suspicion about the XTR which seems to have some merit.

Martin.B
    Free Member

My XTR went pop in the middle of nowhere they were early ones
    I didn’t want to take the chance with them again and got XT’s. so far so good

easygirl

Had xtr 2 years ago, lasted 3 months before bearing failure
    Changed to xt, still running sweet as a nut

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Halfords are doing the entry-level trail pedals for £16 at the moment..

the_lecht_rocks

14 months on xtr trail – no issues yet

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘XTR Trail pedals – any experiences?’ is closed to new replies.