Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • XT Shadow+ mech + mud = bent?
  • Murray

I managed to break my mech hanger riding in half frozen mud. Replaced the hanger but something’s still very wrong. I’m thinking the black link from the mech hanger to the mech is bent. If so, can you buy just that part?

IMG_1687 by Murray C, on Flickr

IMG_1688 by Murray C, on Flickr

danielgroves
    Free Member

I believe that your going to have to buy a whole new mech, pretty sure you can’t buy spare parts for Mechs.

Your cage looks like it’s leaning over to the left more than the bolt arm, so I wouldn’t be surprised if something else is bent anyway.

Murray

Oh bother (and other words). Second opinion anyone?

tthew

Got to be worth trying to bend it back if you are going to have to buy a new one anyway. Suffered the same fate myself last weekend, (though just the cage, not the link bit) and got it all straight enough to work again.

Northwind

I’d be straightening the link thing.

Kinda infuriating that it’s not replacable though considering it’s almost like a second mechhanger. Maybe someone who’s got one of those newer direct fit frames might have a spare? (if I understand it right, that dispenses with the link)

Duane…
    Free Member

If it’s removable, try find someone who’s got the same mech but bent the cage or something?

That is, after trying to bend it straight first.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s got to be worth a bash with a couple of strips of wood and a vice.

What’s to lose?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Is that a m786 (xt shadow+) rear mech?In which case I think you need one of these Item1
    Can’t find it on madison consumer site (not at work) but it would be madison code 5Y0 9801.

Murray

Just taken the mech off the link thing. There’s a definite bend in it and the tab doesn’t sit against the hanger. Has anyone got a good one hanging around that they can compare?

IMG_1691 by Murray C, on Flickr

IMG_1690 by Murray C, on Flickr

Murray

Yes, XT Rear Derailleur 10-speed RD-M786 GS – thanks Rorschach

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s part of shimano’s direct mount standard.Eventually that part will be integrated into your bikes dropout/mech hanger and eliminate the other bolt.They list the older types but not the latest ones 😐
    A phone call to madison will provide the answer.
    Or a fekkin’ big ‘ommer.

Murray

Record Number 6 vice instead of a Birmingham Screwdriver 🙂

Reckon it’ll weaken it rather. I’ll be on the phone to Madison then.

Thanks all.

Rorschach
    Free Member

As long as you get it plenty hot first it’ll bend back ok.
    Btw,Madison don’t really like talking directly to customers…that’s what lbs’s are for 😆

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ll save you a phone call. It is not available at the moment, it will be but not sure when yet. The part code will actually be Y5Y098010 when it does become available to order.

Murray

Thanks Mister P. Vice and adjustable spanner seemed to do the trick.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Y5Y098010=Shimano code.Drop the first letter and last number=madsion code 8)

Mister-P
    Free Member

You a betting man Rorschach? Wanna have a friendly wager on what the Madison code will be? Packet of Jaffa Cakes? Us bike industry types like those apparently 😆

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘XT Shadow+ mech + mud = bent?’ is closed to new replies.