Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • xt rear mech – GS or SGS?
  • RocketTom
    Free Member

So, it was brilliant to get out for a post-work ride but not so great snapping my rear mech 😥

Anyway, I’m looking to replace like with like, but I don’t know whether I have a GS or a SGS cage on the bike.

I’ve got hold of the manual and it looks like I can run either but I’m not entirely sure.

The bike’s one of these
    http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2558

and this is the manual for the mech
    http://media.canyon.com/download/manuals/Manual_RD_M_773_EN.pdf

Could someone please help out a dimwit?

PaulD
    Free Member

RT,

As a rule of thumb:

3x Chainrings = SGS Long Cage for up to 45T range.

2x Chainrings = GS Medium Cage for up to 35T range.

Your link to the bike shows a triple, so I would get the SGS version.
    You can change rear mechs without altering the chainlength.

PaulD

mrmo
    Free Member

although to be fair 9 times out of 10 a GS is fine, just don’t use the extreme gears, ie big chainring, big sprocket and little little, and you will never have a problem.

baznav73
    Free Member

I have always used GS rear mechs on my triple set ups, gets the mech up out the way that little bit more.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

So can a GS mech not be run with a 36t rear 10sp cassette if being part of a single/double chain set?

DickBarton

Single it can, double possibly but getting it to work in big big is likely to mean too much chain slack in little little.

bruneep

So can a GS mech not be run with a 36t rear 10sp cassette if being part of a single/double chain set?

I use the above on a double chainset no problems.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Suspected as much. I have a mid cage on my 34t 9 speed cassette so assumed there would not be too much difference…

relliott6879
    Free Member

By choice, I always use short cage rear mechs and triple chainsets on my bikes, with no issues whatsoever. I do have a long cage XT RD-M761 on my ‘main’ mountain bike with a 44/32/22 chainset, but only because that’s what came on it (emergency eBay purchase after my pride and joy was nicked), when/if it dies it’ll be getting replaced with a short cage equivalent. I run a short cage XT RD-M732 with a 46/36/26 chainset on my commuter bike and it’s never been anything less than perfect.

neninja
    Free Member

So a GS M780 rear mech will be fine on a double 26/38 with an 11-36 cassette?

timmys

So a GS M780 rear mech will be fine on a double 26/38 with an 11-36 cassette?

When the XT/SLX Shadow Plus mechs are available that’s the combo I’m hoping to switch to, so it would be great to have confirmation from anyone using this. Nominally the GS has a 35T capacity and this set up is 37T difference. I feel a GS might be pushing it a bit, especially as on this double set-up I’d want to actually use big/big and it would be on a full-suss which will add some chain growth.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘xt rear mech – GS or SGS?’ is closed to new replies.