Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • XT M8000 sticky clutch
  • tomaso
    Free Member

So in two months of very wet riding my XT M8000 rear mech has huge stiction / resistance in the clutch mechanism when the lever is switched on. I have had the cover off and inspected it, lubed it, tried to loosen it off by work it back and forward but it is still too sticky to work. I’ve slackened the tension off on the adjuster from the factory setting and while this has improved it, it does kind of defeat the point of the clutch mechanism if it is too loose.

I am tempted to send it back as it is not really what you expect from Shimano

br
    Free Member

FWIW I’ve had no problems with mine, and haven’t had a dry ride in months…

Is it actually causing you any problem when you ride with it, as the only time I turn off the clutch is when I’m removing the rear wheel – ie for servicing etc?

tomaso
    Free Member

Is it causing problems? Yes with the clutch engaged as you shift from the top to bottom the chain becomes slack and it jumps. The rear mech is failing to take up the slackness in the chain as you drop down the cassette. It is only one rocky descent from a dead mech

It works fine with the clutch off or wound back off so much it is only slightly greater tension than the off setting.

benpinnick

Seems to be a problem on M8000 rear mechs – seen a couple of others exactly the same. It should be replaced under warranty.

EDIT: Re-reading – the ones I have seen were sticky clutch on or off. Shimano mechs are often ‘sticky’ clutch on – but maybe you mean its stuck in one position unless backed fully off? – thats what we’re seeing on the ones we’ve had back clutch on or off.

tomaso
    Free Member

Lots of lube and back and forth waggling seems to have improved matters but it is not filling me with the warm feeling of reliance you normally get with Shimano.

alrothe

Just had a similar problem. Thought it was the clutch but it turns out to be corrosion on the fitted bolt that attaches the sprung part of the mech. Cleaned this up and refitted with some grease and now no problem. Guess this should not be happening though so will try and get a response from Shimano

alrothe

On reading the dealers manual from the Shimano website it seems that this fitted bolt (called the plate axle) should be lubricated with grease. Premium grease (Y04110000) accoring to instructions.There was just corrosion on mine but grease could have been washed away. Note that there should be no grease or lubricant applied to the inner surface of the clutch roller mechanism.

peterich
    Free Member

Just to ad to this thread
    I had the issue of my cage sticking forward with the clutch on so the bottom chain went really lose and fell off the chainring. I followed the info above and the user manual on shims no site. It was easy to do everything and there was corrosion on my clutch and lots on the bolt mentioned above. Sorted for now but must say I’m not really very impressed after only a couple of months easy use.

noahhowes
    Free Member

Same happened to mine, lube helped but it’s dead now. Poor experience with M8000 all round for me when you consider the terrible chain line. Shame really as 10 spd was bombproof.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’don’t forgotten about this thread and the problem I had with the mech. Four months and no grumbles from the mech…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘XT M8000 sticky clutch’ is closed to new replies.