Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • XT M8000 again
  • teethgrinder

Just in case anyone wondered, an XT medium cage 11 speed rear mech does work on a 10 speed cassette (11-14 with T-Rex) and 10 speed XT shifter.

Rather well, I might add.

justinbieber

Ooh, that’s interesting to know!

chakaping
    Free Member

that’s a rather close ratio cassette you’re using pal

assume you meant 11-40 or 11-42?

teethgrinder

Ha – indeed – SLX 11-36 with a T-Rex on and the relevant smaller cog removed.

chakaping
    Free Member

40 or 42? just interested ‘cos it’d be handy if the mech design did away with the need for faffy replacement cages and stuff like that when using a 42t expander

teethgrinder

T-Rex is 40t, but as there is an 11 speed 11-42 XT cassette, I see no reason why it wouldn’t work on 10 speed 11-42 as well.

For comparison, I was running a Zee FR mech and I thought that was good, but the XT GS mech is loads better. Upper jockey wheel looks like it’s placed very similarly to a 10 speed mech with a Rad/Radr cage.

Next on the list is the proper 11 speed cassette and shifter – will try other conbinateions when I get them.

Another thought – did I read that an 11 speed SRAM mech will work with an 11 speed Shimano shifter (or Shimano mech/SRAM shifter)? If so, 11 speed Shimano mech may work with SRAM shifter, if youre are sufficiently deviant enough to use SRAM.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’d interested to hear about interoperability of sram & shimano 11spd.
    New bike comes with X01 kit but if there’s an option to fit an XT mech when the inevitable mech-mangling event happens, then that would be good.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Another thought – did I read that an 11 speed SRAM mech will work with an 11 speed Shimano shifter (or Shimano mech/SRAM shifter)? If so, 11 speed Shimano mech may work with SRAM shifter, if you’re are sufficiently deviant enough to use SRAM.

Some info on pull ratios etc here

From what I can glean from that about 11 speed cable pull(shifter) and pull ratios (mech) and a bit of calculation…
    —————————————— Pull x Ratio = cog pitch
    All Shimano: ———————– 3.6mm x 1.10 = 3.96mm
    All SRAM: ————————– 3.5mm x 1.12 = 3.92mm
    SRAM shifter/Shim mech —- 3.5mm x 1.10 = 3.85mm
    Shim shifter/SRAM mech —- 3.6mm x 1.12 = 4.03mm

For me, that’s too little variance to rely purely on the theory and suggests that all the combinations would be worth trying out.

Interestingly, the cog pitch on both Shimano & SRAM 11 spd cassettes is allegedly 3.9mm

cymohndee
    Free Member

Are you using a 10 speed chain in this setup teeth grinder?

teethgrinder

I am. All 10 speed except the XT mech at the moment.

shredder
    Free Member

Interesting this teethgrinder and you say it works well nice and crsip shifting ?

teethgrinder

Better than the Zee, though the jockey wheels ended up more like wobbly ninja throwing stars.

cookeaa

Good work teethgrinder.

Makes me wonder what shimano are up to though, it seemed like they had started a policy of planned obsolescence with dynasys and roadie 11 speed, now they’re rolling out “backwards compatible” parts again?

cymohndee
    Free Member

Thanks for the information. I recently got a 40t expander for my old 10 speed XT set up and was thinking about a radr cage… but now I’m thinking that a XT M8000 would be a better investment to improve the shift quality which definitely degraded with the b tension close to the end stop!

teethgrinder

More news – Just fitted the 11-42 and bar mount shifter M8000 parts. Lovely kit, and a shame the cover disc isn’t available yet. Gorilla tape FTW.

What I didn’t do was use an 11 speed chain – kept the 10 speed HG54 and added a link or 2 and it’s fine.

No need to buy 25 quid chains 🙂

teethgrinder

10 speed cassette doesn’t work with 11 speed shifters and mech – hardly a shock, I know!

High gears/smaller cogs work OK, but when the chain gets to the 40t T-rex it won’t take without a further click.

benpinnick

A friend came over with a bust XTR 11 thumb lever at the UKGE this weekend, wondering if I could fix him up. All I had spare was a GX 11 shifter, so we stuck that on instead expecting to at least get a handful of ok gears, but instead we got them all. Arguably the shifting was actually improved. I saw him later and he’d snapped his brake lever off too. Good and strong those carbon XTR parts.

We’ve also done some XD cassettes with XT drive, as expected all good.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Glad to hear it. I’m thinking of running xt11 with a sram cassette just so it doesn’t gouge the freehub body. Slightly better range would be nice as well.

cymohndee
    Free Member

Just to say I have now fitted a XT M8000 RD for not much more than the cost of RADr thanks to that well known Northern Ireland retailer. Shift quality now absolutely luverly on my 11-40 ten speed setup after a fairly demanding weekends riding. The only thing that causes me any puzzlement is the B adjust is at minimum and the top derailleur cog is still around 10mm from the 40t, can’t get it down to the recommended 5-6mm, but no ill effects to report.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

according to the link ecky-thump posted, the M8000 mech has a pull ratio of 1.1, whereas a 10spd mech is 1.2, so the M8000 will undershift slightly.

this may not be a bad thing as my full 11spd setup actually overshifts a bit.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘XT M8000 again’ is closed to new replies.