Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • XC Racing – Ditching the Camelbak
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

For xc races of around 2 hours I’m thinking that ditching the camelback and using a bottle will cut down on bulk/weight. Is this a good idea on fairly rough courses due to the potential for the bottle bouncing out?

It’ll be difficult to carry the pump, so I’m thinking of getting a CO2 inflator which I’ve never been arsed using before. Is this worth doing and if so, is something like this the right sort of thing?

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=58%5D

cheers in advance for any advice

PL

Macavity
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006th1n

How much water should we drink?

BigDummy
    Free Member

It’ll be difficult to carry the pump

The pump gets strapped next to your bottle cage, or goes in your jersey pocket. Your jersey does have pockets, right? 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

As BD implies, to perfect the sans camelback set up you need to be wearing a proper jersey with rear pockets, plus bottle cages with good grip.

You really don't need a camelback.

clubber
    Free Member

Yes. Pump in your jersey pocket (sticking out, never lost mine) or attached to the frame/seatpost.

Depends – if you're serious, probably yes as they're much quicker

Link doesn't work for me.

oldgit
    Free Member

For racing just take the Co2 you're going to lose shed loads of places anyway.
    A stout alloy normal cage is best. I've used carbon but they break in falls and the side entry ones stretch.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My pump is always carried on a frame clip next to the bottle. tube and multitool in seat pouch. food in pockets. For racing or riding. Only once have I had a bottle jump out in decades of riding

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yes it is basically just a velcro strap but….its betterer

will
    Free Member

i hope your not thinking about wearing baggies!

oldgit
    Free Member

Can't get those over here can you?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Rors – good idea – I like that!

I wouldn't wear a Camelbak on a race. On the one (short) race I did, I just hoped I didn't get a flat – took water in a bottle and nowt else. If you get a flat, unless you are super speedy at changing tyres, I can't see it meaning anything but a hell of a dent to your time?

miketually
    Free Member
    Rorschach
    Free Member

oldgit-just order from http://www.backcountryresearch.com/ and use paypal-mine came in 5 days!!
    Had a really good deal on a bundle of 3-'whammer deal' for $25.I got some braces aswell.Highly recommended (even tho it is yank).

oldgit
    Free Member

Have you tried it with road tubes?

crazy-legs

Anything sub 3hrs, you don't need a CamelBak.
    Pump mounts onto frame or in back pocket. Tube/gas can/multitool in a small under-saddle pack. One or two bottles on the frame (or one bottle plus helper). If you're on your own, you can stash one at the start/finish and swap, it's the work of a few seconds to grab it and ditch the old one.

Make sure you're well fed and hydrated beforehand and have a bottle of water/recovery drink handy for afterwards.

rootes1

what about the integrated jersey and camelback bladder?

mieszko
    Free Member

Velcro strap on CRC for £1.99, might do the job. I bought one to secure the battery of my DX bastid and works fine. Should be ok to wrap a tube and levers round and be tight enough. At 1.99 it's not that expensive and probably worth a try.

[edit] This velcro strap is 27mm wide [edit]

Aidan
    Free Member

Isn't the awesome strap one of these:

5.99 a pack from Maplin
    http://maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=227645

oldgit
    Free Member

The strap that came with my L&Ms is great. No narrow straps don't work or last on the seat post, they pinch the middle then the bits rotate. You need something wide.
    Edit or fairly solid! I assume that strap is the latter.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Its the non fluffy velcro that still works when its muddy.Its also got a rubber non slip bit where it goes round the seatpost and a 'buckle' type thing so you can cinch it down hard.Christ I sound like a salesman!!
    oldgit-cx tube/mini pump/levers is fine on mine (just fold the tube over more)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFE1i7MPQDo&feature=player_embedded
    Bear with the yankspeak-"double thumbs down"!!"if youre gonna take a digger…golden"
    And its treated with TECHTRON spray and uses no.92 polyester…"in like flynn". 😀

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

where can i get hold of a awsome strap in the uk ?

stratobiker
    Free Member

Just run robust tubless with sealant. No need for all that CO2 stuff. I've been doing this for a couple of years now.

Have a good slug of water before you start, and away you go.
    I've never had a bottle bounce out of the cage yet.

If it's really hot get wife/daughter/boyfirend/mother/son/auntie/dog/friend to hand a bottle up.

I hate Camelbaks. Tried one once. Hated it.

SB

Rorschach
    Free Member

PlumzRichard-'just order from http://www.backcountryresearch.com/ and use paypal-mine came in 5 days!!'

njee20
    Free Member

Just run robust tubless with sealant. No need for all that CO2 stuff. I've been doing this for a couple of years now.

Still worth carrying CO2 for if you flat though, tubeless is hardly puncture proof, although carrying CO2 can mean you just reinflate and ride off, having stopped for all of 20 seconds.

Bottles all the way, there's always someone to hand fresh ones up!

monksie
    Free Member

I got my velcro straps from a guy in America who was featured in Dirtrag. They're really good. Loads of colours to choose from. They have very strong velcro, sturdy D ring and a rubberized secton so that it doesn't rub on the seatpost. Not a single mark on my carbon seatposts. I'll see if I can find a link.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

*runs off to buy a bottle cage before sunday*

monksie
    Free Member
    YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I used a Camelbak in a local XC race.Worked for me. A sweaty back,is a small price to pay for easy sipping.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ive never got on with camelbacks for racing ….tried several – only using them for non lapped events now as feed stations tend to be chaos ,,,…

Anything lapped i just make up a few bottles and stash em or get the passed up when i need em .

I tape the pump to frame or stem or seat pin as the pump brackets never seem to last with me . Tube gets taped under the seat with electricians tape

Co2 pump and multi tool goes in back pocket as does a gel or 2

Almost always use a camelback without bladder for audaxing though …..ie a bag !

oldgit
    Free Member

TBH when not racing why carry anything? if my mate wants to carry a Camelbak I might as well make it worth his while 😀

brassneck

Best Velcro ships with cable management arms for servers. Go and tap up your IT department. Sticks like poo to fur.

miketually
    Free Member

Anything sub 3hrs, you don't need a CamelBak.

And anything longer, you want to avoid having the weight on your back 🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘XC Racing – Ditching the Camelbak’ is closed to new replies.