Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • xc racers, what do you carry…
  • thebone
    Free Member

for an hour long race?

Joxster
    Free Member

Tool kit, gas cannisters and spare tube and some drink in the camelback.

trail_rat
    Free Member

for a 1 hour race a c02 can and a multi tool. half a bottle of liquid

sharki
    Free Member

A book incase i get bored

MrSparkle

About a stone… *sigh*

nicks
    Free Member

inner tube / c02 pump / tyre lever

njee20
    Free Member

CO2 pump, tiny multi tool.

Camelbak?! Burn the heathen!

crikey
    Free Member

Racing for an hour?
    Nothing at all, and I’d wear a skinsuit too.

Joxster
    Free Member

Camelbak?! Burn the heathen!

I’ve got to carry the sandwiches my Mum made me.

crazy-legs

I never even bother with tools in a 1hr race – if something went wrong in a race that short it’d be pointless fixing it!
    Bottle of water is all I’d bother with, it’s too short to even need energy drink.

Dougal
    Free Member

crazy-legs – I heard you’d carry a set of risers in gets it was technical.

For an hour? Nothing apart from a bottle and maybe a gel.

Two hours plus? Pump and a tube.

Offroading
    Free Member

An hour ? Bit short is it not.

I generally take nothing but a multi tool.

mudshark
    Free Member

Ah…I thought this was about weaponry.

Oggles
    Free Member

Usually their bikes, down anything remotely technical. hey-oh! 😛

njee20
    Free Member

Ah yes, I didn’t really notice the hour long race thing.

Nowt but a bottle then, I couldn’t do an hour flat out without a drink.

Oggles, I assume you’re entered in the Elite NPS on Sunday are you? They’ll need someone ‘rad’ to show them how to ride.

julianwilson
    Free Member

On the bike frame: lucky can of hutchinson ‘fast-air’ (lucky as I have never needed to use one), 750mls ‘sports juice’ in a bottle cage.
    In pockets: small multitool incl chain tool and powerlink. Another tube and a co2 canister if i am feeling jittery. Couple of gels and a go bar.

I would confess to using a 1.5l camelbak if its hot, also makes for less flappy pockets as tool and tube goes in there too. Though I once overheard an elite rider berating someone on the start line for having one!

njee20
    Free Member

I do wonder who all these elites are who announce their presence as ‘elite rider’ on the course, and who belittle those who dare to do anything differently to them. Every elite rider I know, and that’s most of the UK’s contingent, are thoroughly decent people, just very fast!

Although presumably if this bloke was on the start line with an elite, he also was an elite, in which case he should have been told off, but that’s not clear. Hairy legs should also not be allowed beyond sport, it should be a requirement of BC that they’re shaved before an expert/elite licence is issued IMO.

crazy-legs

Hairy legs should also not be allowed beyond sport, it should be a requirement of BC that they’re shaved before an expert/elite licence is issued IMO.

I got away with it for years! No-one in MTB circles has ever commented on it, been told off once or twice in road races for having hairy legs. Usually by people I’ve beaten… 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

It was someone who was known as an elite rider on the start line of a 24 hour race: I guess the camelbak wearing infidel could have been anyone…

If i had someone willing to hang around near the start line exclusively to pick up my discarded bottles hand me new ones and tell me how far behind (measured in laps rather than minutes, most likely) the next rider I was then i probably wouldn’t bother with a camelbak either.

I ain’t shaving my pins for anyone though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

who on earth thinks shaving their legs makes them faster? For an hours race I would carry nothing as I could easily ride 8 miles without a drink or food or mechanical

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think Njee20 is on the wind up. I certainly hope so

njee20
    Free Member

Oh dear god I am! I’m glad someone realised!

There will always be someone around to hand up bottles, it’s much more comfy if nothing else, try it sometime!

EDIT: I don’t think anyone harbours the false illusion that shaven legs makes you quicker, there’s a wealth of reasons for it, and that’s not one! My personal favourites are that it makes your legs look more more toned and it feels amazing when you get into bed, soooo soft. Excellent talking point too.

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

the bone your not refurring to a fnss race this friday are you ??

racing_ralph
    Free Member

If your name is LukeB then you carry your bike minus a wheel 😉

thebone
    Free Member

the bone your not refurring to a fnss race this friday are you ??

no not really, I’m pretty new to racing hence easing in with 1 hour races for now, the thing is i see people with nothing other than a bottle and others with a whole workshop in a Camelbak!! myself I just tend to carry a C02, sports gel and water bottle.

Just wondered what the ‘experienced racers’ had to say on it, so thanks for the answers.

tombell1989
    Free Member

If your name is LukeB then you carry your bike minus a wheel

I’m racing him this weekend and I’ll see what he carries.

As for me, can’t say I’ve done a race less than 1h 30, but I carry a tube, CO2 stuff, gels and a tool. And a bottle, but both the bottle and the cage fell off at the last one 🙁

ttf
    Free Member

Just half a bottle of torq and 2 gels in my jersey… no point in Co2 on short course xc – you puncture and your pretty much out!

[/quote]Junkyard – Member
    who on earth thinks shaving their legs makes them faster? For an hours race I would carry nothing as I could easily ride 8 miles without a drink or food or mechanical

huh? What a silly thing to say… xc races that last an hour are usually around 15-17 miles, not 8. And how can you say that you can ride for ANY distance without a mechanical? Who’s to say a whopper of a thorn doesnt puncture you within 20 seconds?

crazy-legs

huh? What a silly thing to say… xc races that last an hour are usually around 15-17 miles, not 8. And how can you say that you can ride for ANY distance without a mechanical? Who’s to say a whopper of a thorn doesnt puncture you within 20 seconds?

My experience of 1hr races is based almost solely on the old Beastway events which were usually about 14 miles. A puncture or similar on that course would put you at the back of the field before you could blink, there was no point in carrying spares (plus it was never more than half a mile walk back anyway!)

devs
    Free Member

xc races that last an hour are usually around 15-17 miles

That would be the southern English ones then.

njee20
    Free Member

I must admit I think that’s optimistic for every course other than Thetford!

12mph is more realistic for races over 2 hours IME, certainly more than 8 miles in an hour. I also think hydration in races is totally different, I can train without drinking, but not a chance in race, cramp straight away.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘xc racers, what do you carry…’ is closed to new replies.