Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • X threaded pedals..advice please!
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Being a bit kack handed I managed to cross thread the left hand pedal on my cranks. Now it won’t go in as it should and sits at a angle (the pedal), so how knackered will the cranks be, replace or can they be repaired?

endurogangster
    Free Member

you will need to have the cranks drilled and helicoiled, I have had this done in the past by a car engine repair company as they had all the tools required, cost me about £30 i think.

if the threads on the pedal have also been damaged you will need a new axle.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

The pedal threads seem ok. Sounds an expensive repair, may just go on eBay and get some second hand crank arms.

khani
    Free Member

You could try and thread a pedal in from the back of the crank to see if it cleans the threads up, if not helicoil..
    Use an old pedal just in case..

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Will do. Ta khani.

khani
    Free Member

Good luck.. 😀
    Ps, a helicoil is stronk like the ox, works a treat..

Macavity
    Free Member

Go to a decent bike shop (a decent bike shop will have pedal taps 9/16 x 20tpi) and get them to clean the threads out on the crankarm.

You can get pedal thread inserts from Var, Cyclo/Weldtite, Cyclus, Ceeway etc etc but these will need an oversized tap left or right hand thread which will be expensive.

Also Chris Bell at Highpath can repair crankarms but this is expensive.

New cranks is probably easier, but try the bikeshop and tap option.

Macavity
    Free Member

http://www.highpath.net/
    Under
    “Repairs + modifications
    Crank repairs”

The thread repair inserts/ bushes from Ceeway etc are machined from solid and are not helicoils.

acidchunks

I did this, several of my riding mates still rip me for it 18 months later 🙁

If its Shimano the LHS can be replaced fairly cheaply if you don’t mind going for a lower groupset like deore

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=shimano+left+crank+arm

Northwind

How far in did you thread it? Just a little bit, or all the way? There’s a reasonable chance that if you’ve only damaged a portion of the thread, it could be recut without needing a helicoil, just by running a pedal tap in from the other side. Slightly bodgy, but it may sort you out

doug_basqueMTB.com

OP, if you’ve just threaded it in a couple of threads wrong then try putting the pedal in from behind as suggested above. I’ve done it a few times, including recently on a guests’s bike, and it has worked perfectly.

My dad showed me that. I was about 8 and had a BMX and had wanted stunt pegs for ages. The LBS in the north east of Scotland at the time didn’t have such things and I waited for months for them to arrive. When they arrived I cross threaded them in my excitement 🙁 I cried a lot until my Dad arrived home and threaded them in from behind fixing the threads and refitted them, totally saving the day! I remember it so clearly.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

The pedal was threaded almost through, and I was fairly annoyed with meself, schoolboy error, new pedals…bugger!!! Going to try the pedal from the rear, if not I think some ebay crankarms in order (raceface Deus)
    Thanks again chaps

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘X threaded pedals..advice please!’ is closed to new replies.