Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • WTF to do with this lot? (veg content)
  • z1ppy

After a disappointing start to the growing year, the ‘fun’ chilli plants I was given have kinda taken over….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oCQQ9s]Chilli plant's 2014[/url] by z1ppy2, on Flickr

We happily use the Apache’s all year through (small plants at the bottom), as there just the right temperature for us. So what to do with the Scotch bonnet, Hungarian Hot, Anaheim & Jalapeno’s? As TBH we already still have a freezer full of apache & Jalapeno’s.

The Scotch bonnets, really worrying me..
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/oV4VLi]Scotch bonnet[/url] by z1ppy2, on Flickr

molgrips
    Free Member

Salsa, obviously.

You could always dry them, or look at recipes for hot sauce and make a load. Both those things could be canned and kept.

Drac

Freeze them, give them away, run a stall a local fete, give them away on here.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Chilli jam/hot sauce for presents? Smoke some and make some punchy barbeque sauce?

curvature
    Free Member

I’ll take some off your hands?

I’d be happy to pay for them just so I could try some different varieties.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d be making some Pickle of sorts with that lot.

Dead easy, grab some random Veg, dice, boil, sugar/honey then add chilli..

You could have some very good pressies or larder stash right there.

z1ppy

Any recipies? We like the encona hot sauce, which is hot but has a nice flavour, I’m scared of just producing someting stupidly hot

Curvature, your welcome to em!

EDIT: Dear god a pickle with that lot in? I’d do damage to myself.. Yet again last night I stuck a finger in my eye after chopping the mild apache chilli’s…. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWW! (& have done the ‘other’ previously)

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll swap you for some pears if you like? 🙂 Tree out front has gone a bit mental this year.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Here you go..

For the fruit compote
    2 apples, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    150g/5¼oz raisins
    1 banana
    6 tomatoes
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1 red chilli, de-seeded and chopped
    white wine vinegar, to taste
    caster sugar, to taste

For the pickle
    25g/1oz butter
    1 cauliflower, chopped into florets
    4 Granny Smith apples, cored and chopped
    400g/14¼ oz onions, chopped
    150g/5¼ oz golden raisins
    100ml/3½fl oz white wine vinegar
    50g/1¾oz muscovado sugar
    50g/1¾oz molasses

kcal

Our chillis last year – good variety of varieties – were graet – this year’s harvest has been appalling; just a couple of jalapenos.

Apaches are good; Bonnets good too. Last year we such an abundance that A-M looked up a recipe and made jam; yum!!

curvature
    Free Member

Just sent you an email Paul.

mudshark
    Free Member

Find local people to trade with? I’ve started using http://www.streetlife.com and reckon I’ll be looking at using it to find people to trade my eggs for other garden produce.

hairybiker84
    Free Member

Try this one – I’ve made it and it was superb http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/hotsauce/jackies_sauce.html . Plenty of others to tickle your fancy on the preceeding page.

Drac

Mmmm! Chilli Jam.

RustySpanner

A whole Scotch Bonnet used as a suppository is an excellent cure for hemorrhoids.

ALWAYS wear a rubber glove though – you really don’t want to get any on your fingers.

z1ppy

Excellent many thanks for that & Bikebouy’s too.
    Looking properly seems only the Scotch bonnet is actually hotter than our std Apaches… which is kinda disappointing 😉

(PS: Curvature, I have replied)

EDIT: Not thanking Rusty for his hemorrhoids treatment… there creams that are nicer (I imagine 😳 )

slowoldgit
    Free Member
    z1ppy

Once dried, grind into a powder either with a pestle and mortar or a coffee grinder but wear goggles and a face mask as the fine dust can be a severe and painful irritant. Make sure you clean up carefully afterwards! Salt can be used to remove any traces from under the grinder’s blades or your breakfast coffee will give you more of a wake-up than planned.

😈

jairaj

Ohh nice Chilli plant collection. Very jealous I only have a small plant on the windowsill. Mines also been a bit rubbish until recently when its gone mental.

With the larger and milder ones like the Jalapenos you can roast them in the oven, cut a slit and stuff with mild cheese like ricotta or mozzarella or cream cheese and put them back in the oven for a bit to soften the cheese. Or the full fat version, cover in bread crums and deep fry.

You can also pickle some of the hotter ones to make them a bit more milder.

Cougar

I’m scared of just producing someting stupidly hot

Try it. If you produce something stupidly hot, I’ll buy it off you.

Scapegoat

Chilli Vodka. Simply add as many sliced deseeded chillies as you dare into a bottle of vodka. Two or three scotch bonnets should make for a pretty potent brew. Leave overnight. Test. Keep adding and adjusting until its right for you.

Use it in Bloody Mary’s, or even better, Bullshots. A favourite winter warmer, a can of decent beef consommé heated and poured into a small thermos, with a hip flask of chilli vodka to add a dash of warming goodness for those midwinter rides.

It also makes for interesting drunken dares. I expect.

Oh, and experiment with chilli jams. Lime and ginger chilli jam is pretty awesome, as is lime and chilli pickle on yer popadoms.

singlespeedstu

z1ppy.
    I’ll take some off your hands if there’s any going spare. 🙂

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Any recipies? We like the encona hot sauce, which is hot but has a nice flavour, I’m scared of just producing someting stupidly hot

Then why did you grow Scotch Bonnets?

Make pickle with them, or Bullshots.
    Jesus they are evil…

z1ppy

cause I like growing chilli’s.. it’s easy, plant em and water em & pick the results, what’s not to like? I bought the scotch bonnet on a whim at the local fayre, it’s was only 8″ tall and looking stringy back the end of june. I was expecting maybe a couple of fruit, not a crap load that appeared, admitted still very green and showing no signs of going red (as internet pictures show them).
    Cougar your on, & SSStu, I’m sure there a couple going spare, got a preference?
    I am going to wait as long as I can before picking them though, just trying to prep for the harvest.

Oh and liking the jalapeno option, but am not convinced this years plant is actual jalapeno, as the fruit aren’t the right shape (or the same as last years).
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/oCRbDo]Jalapeno[/url] by z1ppy2, on Flickr

oh and molgrips yeah cool, you up to see your parents in a month or so?(cyber stalking..)

mogrim

I’m sure I saw my name there, which was a bit spooky…. A lot better than my fairly pitiful attempt this year, only the jalapeños are looking promising, and last year’s plants which over-wintered nicely.

The ghost, habaneros and whatnot have all failed miserably 🙁

z1ppy

you did as I was trying to remember molgrips name from further up the thread…

dear god ghost and habenero’s? “danger danger will robinson!”

I know chilli plants are supposed to be able to last 8 years, but I’ve always just started from seed (or seedling), hense the rubbish apache’s with this year miserable spring.

singlespeedstu

z1ppy.
    i’ll have whatever ‘s going mate.
    give us a shout when they’re ready and I’ll drop over and collect them.
    We could even meet you at the cross and get you a few beers for them. 🙂

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Roadt them all and make a massive salsa!!! Then buy loads of skirt steak and live of tacos for a week 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘WTF to do with this lot? (veg content)’ is closed to new replies.