Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • WTB. Do you know how the company name came about?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Boblo and I were shooting the breeze with Mike at Black Mountain Cycles when a guy walks in to collect his wife’s fancy Moots cross bike.

His dog does tricks, it takes off the guys hat, puts it back on and gives him a high five.

We check out the S&S couplings on the Moots and talk about bikes, not difficult when BMC has an amazing collection of retro bikes.

We talk about the origins of the sport and he says he was there and that he had a hand in the establishment of WTB. I’ve met Charlie Cuningham and Steve Potts, but I’d never heard of this guy called Lance, I forget his surname.

He tells us about the amateur origins of Steve’s frame building business, the impossibly long build times and his inability to get significant discounts from distributors to assemble the finished frames with parts, so he advises him on how to establish his fledgling business on a more sound commercial basis.

The first hurdle would be a company name.

Lance, was a cyclist and a hiker. He went walking on extended tours in the Sierras. He made a form of flapjack he ate on the trails. He called them Wilderness Trail Biscuits. So when asked what the bicycle company should be called he immediately thought of Wilderness Trail Bikes.

He said that WTB CEO had approached him asking if he’d like to market the biscuits under the WTB brand name.

yunki
    Free Member

What The Blazes!?

ourmaninthenorth

Whisky Time Banzai?

Drac

Lance, I forget his surname.

Don’t trust him if he’s called Lance and rides bikes.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Long story short.?

nemesis
    Free Member

Bloke likes biscuits. Calls bikes almost the same.

DezB
    Free Member

His dog does tricks, it takes off the guys hat, puts it back on and gives him a high five.

Without prompting? Cool dog!

bearnecessities

Jamis – a derivative of a Viennese Whirl.

sandwicheater

Was this on a Tuesday?

nemesis
    Free Member

Orange started off making Jaffa Biscuits but there was a big hoo ha about it all (which still resonates to this very day!) and they decided to split and go off into telephony and bikes instead of cakes. Or was it biscuits?

True story.

njee20
    Free Member

I thought Charlie Kelly invented it?

I have to say OP that having read your post it has not enriched or otherwise improved my life in any way whatsoever. Sorry. Tough crowd.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Give me one of these biscuits and I’ll forgive the crap story

nemesis
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    I thought Charlie Kelly invented it?

Got any documented proof of that…?

Wilderness Trail Biscuits. Yummy!

gobuchul
    Free Member

I don’t really understand what that story is about.

What’s the significance of the dog?

Is there some hidden message in there?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I have to say OP that having read your post it has not enriched or otherwise improved my life in any way whatsoever. Sorry. Tough crowd.

I’d expect nothing less from STW.

qwerty
    Free Member

I love the WTB logo & have long needed a sticker for the fridge collection.

noteeth
    Free Member

WTB Original Trail Grips are my favourite grips, ever…. and now seemingly impossible to buy in the UK.

I enjoyed your story, McM. I remember cycling past their HQ in Mill Valley, and they appeared to be having some kind of yard-sale… I always regret not stopping to investigate.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The thing that appealed to me was that companies like WTB were established by guys who loved cycling first. Some evolved into global brands. The grass roots stuff is the bit I most identify with. I rode over here in Marin in the eighties when the sport was still evolving in the UK and got a whiff of its potential.

I had the good fortune to meet and ride with guys like Charlie Cunningham, Jacquie Phelan, Joe Breeze and Charlie Kelly. They still have the same enthusiasm for riding that they had back in the day and their enthusiasm is still as contagious.

I seldom walk into a bike shop these days that has that old school vibe. Black Mountain Cycles isn’t a flashy branded store. It has a rack of dusty care worn but cherished bikes, a couple of couches and a work stand. If you are ever in Marin, look in.

shifter
    Free Member

Next job: how did FSA and SDG come about?

CountZero

I had the good fortune to meet and ride with guys like Charlie Cunningham, Jacquie Phelan, Joe Breeze and Charlie Kelly. They still have the same enthusiasm for riding that they had back in the day and their enthusiasm is still as contagious.

Ah, Jacquie Phelan and the WOMBATS! Racing with strings of pearls around her neck, and her hair in plaits. Quite a character, never had the opportunity to meet her, sadly.
    Did meet Alison Sydor, Myles Rockwell, Tinker Juarez, and Missy Giove, who signed my SuperVee 3000!

fasthaggis

I think I get what you are on about OP.
    Maybe a reminder about where the whole ATB vibe came from back in the day,and the type of characters you could bump in to at events or out in the hills.I am not saying that these types are not around now,they are just a bit harder to find.

Oh,and get some more photos on your Blog 🙂

RepackRider
    Free Member

The original WTB was three guys, Charlie Cunningham, Steve Potts and Mark Slate. No Lance. Unlikely story probably made up after WTB was a “thing.”

jimster01

I’m sure they changed the name to WTB because WTF was a bit too risqué back in the day.

aracer
    Free Member

Harsh. I thought it was a Cool Story.

Bro.

DrP

This is like a conversion with my nan… Seems to start and finish about halfway through a story-like she thinks went been talking about “Doris and Bob from over the road” for about an hour, then suddenly come out with the first part of an anecdote that needs warming into, then simply finishes mid paragraph.

Yes. Just like that…

DrP

Drac

This is like a conversion with my nan… Seems to start and finish about halfway through a story-like she thinks went been talking about “Doris and Bob from over the road” for about an hour, then suddenly come out with the first part of an anecdote that needs warming into, then simply finishes mid paragraph.

It reminded me of getting a patient history from the elderly. After 20mins of rambling you know all about their aunt’s and old Mavis from church medical history but not theirs.

nemesis
    Free Member

Next job: how did FSA and SDG come about?

Full Speed Ahead came from a guy who liked racing boats but developped a phobia of water (after an unfortunate incident with a Dolphin in his bath) so he started making bike components with a longer term view of developping into the fishing market like Shimano.

Speed Defies Gravity was started by a trebuchet making company who cycled to the landing point after people were hurled across large distances during testing. They ultimately realised that they enjoyed the cycling part more than the throwing but found their saddles uncomfortable so developped their own.

RoterStern
    Free Member

How Audi got its name is quite interesting, though.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

is it.

grum
    Free Member

Well now I know how it didn’t come about.

joolsburger
    Free Member

The WTB grease guard headset was a cool thing stopped making them though which was weird.

njee20
    Free Member

How Audi got its name is quite interesting, though.

I thought it was derived from the latin “to hear” or something?

The original WTB was three guys, Charlie Cunningham, Steve Potts and Mark Slate. No Lance. Unlikely story probably made up after WTB was a “thing.”

😆

I don’t really understand what that story is about.

That was my issue, I just wasn’t really sure what I was actually reading, but apparently it’s made up anyway!

marcus7
    Free Member

I’ve always where the name “dave hinde” on bikes came from, anyone?

unovolo
    Free Member

The Origins of Crank Brothers.
    Rudolf and Adolf were on the run after having being caught molesting a nest full of Baby robins.
    Having escaped via the prison canteen with only a pair of Mankini’s and a egg whisk, they proceeded to go into hiding.
    Several weeks later having survived on nothing more than fermented tramps sweat they decided to look for somewhere to settle.

Having decided that they needed a quicker more efficient means of travel than walking they staked out a surburban street disguised as a Pair of Ugly(but Cheap)Hookers.

One evening they happened on a young lad cruising on his bike ready to pop his cherry,
    Whilst Rudolf distracted said youngman by twerking in his Mankini,
    Adolf meanwhile made off with his bike.
    At this point the plan came unstuck, as the bike had only recently been built by the young man who had a penchant for swapping frames about he had unwittingly failed to screw one of the pedals on properly.

Knowing that Rudolf could only twerk for so long before his Man-veg made a appearance, Adolf had to think quick.
    He quickly remembered the Egg whisk that he had secreted up his rectum, with a grunt and a squeeze he had it out and quickly fitted as a make shift pedal and made his escape.

The following day having hooked back up with a Bandy,Bloodied Rudolf they set off again.
    As it was slightly difficult pedaling with said eggwhisk as a pedal they devised a method of retaining the foot to the pedal with a old brass belt buckle and a couple of bent nails.
    The rest is history.

bearnecessities

Pretty flippin’ random, but 10/10 for effort!

unovolo
    Free Member

Pretty flippin’ random, but 10/10 for effort!

S’all true the voices told me!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘WTB. Do you know how the company name came about?’ is closed to new replies.