Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 286 total)
  • Worth keeping an eye on http://www.highlandtrail.net.
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

http://www.highlandtrail.net/

400 and odd miles through the highlands.

scotroutes

Something about that just grates on me. I love wandering about the hills on a bike but codifying it into some sort of competition is getting me all tetchy!!!

edlong
    Free Member

I like it. I’d love to be able to do something like that. Even doing a quarter of that in a week I’d be happy with.

Martin.B
    Free Member

Some good quality in the entrants. How long do you think it will take the winner?
    Sweepstake. I’m going for 3days 6hrs

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Isn’t alasdairmc doing it? I do wonder if some of these guys might be missing out on something racing around such beautiful scenery. Looks like good route to do at a more leisurely pace.

twinklydave

There’s nothing to stop any of them going back to ride the area(s) again at any speed they like, at any other time 😉

…or to stop them going up there lots of times before to get an idea of what it’s like 😀

terrahawk
    Free Member

Sweepstake. I’m going for 3days 6hrs

“our” Phil Simcock will do it faster than that. He has to cos he’ll be late for work if he doesn’t.

scotroutes

I know. And many of them have/will. It still “bothers” me in an illogical way I can’t quite put into words. 😳

AlasdairMc

Yeah, I’m doing it, as are at least a couple of others from here. If I’m not last I’ll be pleasantly surprised – I’m intending to finish the route in six days or so instead of racing it.

nick1962
    Free Member

It must be a scam.All those photos in the above link show the sun shining 🙂

GregMay
    Free Member

I’m down for it, lots of time to look up during it…I hope.

Trampus
    Free Member

Not sure of the exact quote, scotroutes, but is your unease/botheration similar to that of the guy describing golf as being ‘a spoilt walk’? 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

I *think* that was Mark Twain or Churchill? Most quotes are Churchill or Shakespeare. Honestly, I’d love to take a week off and ride this loop based on the photos and location, but have no desire to rag myself doing it.

Did a similar ride many years ago, but encompassed a few of the Isles and took my time (two months!). Bit harder with a family…

13thfloormonk

Ha, I think I did half that route in reverse on my way to Cape Wrath, I certainly think they’ve got (most of) it the right way round at least. Would love to give that a shot, would be glad to manage it in 7 days right enough…

Enjoy the descent into Glen Ling AlasdairMC!

roady_tony
    Free Member

lovely. good luck to all, think i’d take it a more sedate pace.
    anyone know where the road where the first pic is?

gordimhor

Roady tony think that’s the whw approaching Buachaille etive Mor. It’s certainly in that area.

TomHill
    Free Member

I’m in. Really looking forward to it, with no small amount of trepidation. I’m expecting to be out for three days at the very, very least. That’s a lot of steady riding, with a lot of time to soak in the views. I’ll be using up leave to do the ride… I fully intend on enjoying the stunning location!

It’s part of what attracts me to this kind of challenge… Testing myself physically and mentally in a wild, beautiful place. I like the total immersion in the situation.

A month to go, though. Oooph.

sturider

4 days for me. The Cairngorm 200 last year was a stunning ride so I expect to be blown away by this one.
    Cairngorm Blog
    All the comments and pics get the adrenalin flowing. Excited to meet the fellow competitors and feeding off the experience.

See you there 🙂

nikk
    Free Member

I am interested in this “Highland Trail 400”, but I do have reservations about racing round it.

Think I prefer taking my time, enjoying sitting looking at the scenery whenever I want, taking a route at a whim, popping into a local pub / eatery, and generally going at exactly my own pace – no faster, no slower.

Also not trained up enough at all to even remotely race it 🙂 And I like my kip. And long showers.

The golf quote is not attributable. Not Twain or Churchill. A good version is “Too much walking for a good game, just enough game to spoil a good walk”.

scotroutes

I really do wish everyone taking part the best of times. I’ve ridden much of the route and of course there will be time to take some of it in. Still bothers me though 🙂

FWIW, it’s also the one thing I have against The Adventure Show on BBC Scotland. Cameron McNeish gets to go off for a nice walk in the hills but any cycle coverage has to be some sort of competitive event (and don’t give me that “Audax isn’t racing” line). It’s like there no adventure to be had on a bike unless it’s against the clock.

epicyclo

scotroutes – Member

…FWIW, it’s also the one thing I have against The Adventure Show on BBC Scotland. Cameron McNeish gets to go off for a nice walk in the hills but any cycle coverage has to be some sort of competitive event (and don’t give me that “Audax isn’t racing” line). It’s like there no adventure to be had on a bike unless it’s against the clock.

It’s like the RSF didn’t exist.

RSF link

bedmaker

Anyone know the direction the route goes in? I can’t open the GPX , think it may be because I’m on a mac.

Also, does anyone have a link to the write up mentioned on the site, their link doesn’t work.
    I’d love to give it a go, if I can find the time.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Anti-clockwise. I’m looking at it as 6 days of bikepacking in country I don’t get to se much these days.

bedmaker

Anti-clockwise. I’m looking at it as 6 days of bikepacking in country I don’t get to se much these days.

Cheers. That’s much the same view of it I’d have myself. Long days but a steady enjoyable pace.

roady_tony
    Free Member

any race reports?
    hope everyone went well !

AlasdairMc

Bit early for that? We don’t start until the 25th May…

peterfile
    Free Member

Looks a bit rubbish IMO.

Never understood the fascination with the Highlands, it’s like geographical fanboyism.

Wonder if it would be possible to join together 400 miles of trail centre routes? At least then the riding would be interesting.

roady_tony
    Free Member

FACEPALMMMMMMmmmmmm
    😀 😀

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Roady tony think that’s the whw approaching Buachaille etive Mor. It’s certainly in that area.<

Aye, it’s the wee stretch of tarmac out the back of the Kingy (on the WHW.)It joins the A82 in front of the Bookil / junction with Glen Etive road.

Just skimmed the guys trail report and he only had one Guinness on the entire trip. Doesn’t sound like my kind of race 😉

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

You can follow the progress of the riders on Trackleaders

HT400 Link

GregMay
    Free Member

Awesome, its snowing in Tyndrum. This just got a whole lot more interesting.

*packs more clothes*

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Never understood the fascination with the Highlands

It can’t be explained, you either get it or you don’t.

Your’e in the latter category so stick to your trail centres & keep the natch trails even ‘less busy’ there’s a good lad. 😉

vorlich
    Free Member

Never understood the fascination with the Highlands, it’s like geographical fanboyism.

You’re kidding right? I mean, you’re the one who’s always posting up wild camps in the highlands.

epicyclo

peterfile – Member
    …Never understood the fascination with the Highlands, it’s like geographical fanboyism.

Wonder if it would be possible to join together 400 miles of trail centre routes? At least then the riding would be interesting.

That’s genius. 🙂

And stops our natural trails getting skid marks all over them.

Racing through the Highlands is a bit like guzzling fine whisky. You end up sore, sick, with a vague memory of having had a good time but you can’t remember it for sure, and did you really shag that sheep. 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

T’was a wee joke 🙂

GregMay
    Free Member

Now time to pack all this into something I have to carry. So much stuff!

arrpee
    Free Member

“Floor”

That made me smile.

scotroutes

The Spare Space Kit though – no helmet?

GregMay
    Free Member

The Spare Space Kit though – no helmet?

Spare space was if there was any… so far no joy.

Helmet is in the riding pile, black and white Kask Mojito

GregMay
    Free Member

“Floor”

That made me smile.

I’ve opted not to take it. Maybe the sofa though…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 286 total)

The topic ‘Worth keeping an eye on http://www.highlandtrail.net.’ is closed to new replies.