Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • worst accents in films.
  • BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Not film, but those Aviva ads with Paul Whitehouse? I reckon they’ve alienated most of the Scottish market.

x10 on that
    Also Robert Duvall in A Shot At Glory
    Jessica Lange in Rob Roy
    Gerard Butler in 300 – “really? Sparta was a suburb of Glasgow?”

Howver, going the other way, i never realised that Spinal Tap were American till years later

MrsToast
    Free Member

Sean Connery. In anything.

Michael Fassbender in X-Men: First Class – love the film, but his accent’s all over the place

Kevin Bacon in X-Men: First Class – his German is horrible.

Kevin Costner in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves

Russel Crowe in the other Robin Hood

Keanu in Dracula

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Ray Winstone in The Departed was pretty bad

Not as bad as Ray Winstone in Cold Mountain…..

stevomcd
    Free Member

Sean Astin in Lord of the Rings.

The rest of the hobbits too for that matter. Except Ian Holm as Bilbo.

donsimon
    Free Member

Guess who the very well known American actor is playing the Chinaman (the term Chinaman caused as much a stink as the supposed Hollywood racial stereotyping)

Mickey Rooney.

Peter Sellers as that French detective geezer.

jon1973
    Free Member

Kevin Costner in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves

did he even attempt an accent?

TheFlyingOx

Ooooh. Have we had Christopher Lambert in “Highlander”? For the first few historical flashbacks, I thought he was having a stroke.

Stuey01
    Free Member

If someone just uses their own accent a la Costner in Prince of Thieves, Gerard Butler in 300, or Connery in, well, anything – then I don’t think it really ranks in the same category as a poorly executed faked accent, a la Statham in The Transporter.

sor
    Free Member

I suspect the reason that nobody has mentioned Christopher Ecclescakes (alleged) Scottish accent in G.I. Joe is because nobody has watched it.

It is very entertaining. (The accent, I mean. Not the film.)

_tom_
    Free Member

can’t take him seriously after watching Lock Stock / Snatch..

Considering all he does now are cheesy action films, I dunno if you’re meant to take him seriously 😆

SaxonRider

sor – Member
    I suspect the reason that nobody has mentioned Christopher Ecclescakes (alleged) Scottish accent in G.I. Joe is because nobody has watched it.

It is very entertaining. (The accent, I mean. Not the film.)

Hey! I loved G.I. Joe! You’re talking about my childhood here…

grum
    Free Member

did he even attempt an accent?

I remember reading news reports at the time that he had a voice coach to help with his English accent, but that he got sacked part way through filming, and that you could tell some bits were more English than others. None of it sounded remotely English to me though.

Lifer
    Free Member

Anthony Quayle in Ice Cold in Alex.

Pretty awful Afrikaans and a not much better German accent. Bloody great film though! John Mills is my hero.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrnsbB9AjIk[/video]

Northwind

To be fair, we don’t actually have any idea what William Wallace or King Leonidas sounded like. Maybe Spartans really did sound scottish and old scots sounded australian.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Nicole kidman in the Interpreter.
    NO ONE disrespects Ice Cold In Alex 👿 lest they incur my wrath and I smite them (hav’nt done much smiting of late tbh….might be a wee bit rusty).

BigJohn

Marcel Marceau in Silent Movie 😀

mintimperial

Natalie Portman in V For Vendetta. Started off wobbly Dagenham, rapidly headed overseas, and ended up somewhere in the Indian Ocean half way between South Africa and Australia. Bizarre.

Lifer
    Free Member

NO ONE disrespects Ice Cold In Alex lest they incur my wrath and I smite them (hav’nt done much smiting of late tbh….might be a wee bit rusty).

Slow your roll! No disrespecting going on one of my favourite films (“Stop grinning about your bloody love life and come and help!”/”Never mind your bloody makeup – push!”) but Quayle’s accents are pretty ropey! Doesn’t detract from the awesome at all, he’s still brilliant in it.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Zee Germans.

Elephant Man.

crazy-legs

Enemy at the Gates was a pretty awful film on several counts but one of them was Bob Hoskins as a Russian Army Officer – I’d not heard any Cockney Russians until then.

jamesca
    Free Member

Richard Gere in The Jackal

stucol
    Free Member

Every climbing scene with Stallone in Cliffhanger.

Oh hang on, it’s accents not ascents. Oops.

Still applies though, especially John Lithgow’s accent. And i normally like him.

donsimon
    Free Member

Every climbing scene with Stallone in Cliffhanger.

Good job you hadn’t noticed the shoe changes…

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Enemy at the Gates was a pretty awful film on several counts but one of them was Bob Hoskins as a Russian Army Officer – I’d not heard any Cockney Russians until then.

I take your point but if the film is gonna be in English then you either need everybody speaking with Russian accents (daft) or everybody with a mix of regional English accents to simulate a Russian army drawn from all over the country. So Cockney would be one of them.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘worst accents in films.’ is closed to new replies.