• This topic has 295 replies, 88 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 296 total)
  • Word of warning of the quality and warranty of On-One Carbon Race 29-frames
  • tazzymtb

To be fair, you are not meant to put adhesive stickers on safety helmets either as the solvents in adhesive can cause premature failure (depending on the adhesive composition) ..so slapping stickers all over plastic and resin components is always a good game of russian roulette

Jamie
    Free Member

I assume from many sent messages that I should know who Brant is, but I do not know.

Brant is a big wheel down at the cracker factory. The head honcho, the big cheese….el chupacabra!

OP had sympathy with you up to this point. No longer, OO honour warranty but replacement fails and you threaten blackmail? – I’d tell you flip right off.

Easy tiger. Where did he do that?

atlaz
    Free Member

He told them what he was going to do. He did it. Seems like a promise kept rather than blackmail. In any case, hiding behind the letter of the law here is a shitty customer experience. They warrantied the first frame for roughly the same problem so it’s a bit rich to say “Oh, it doesn’t count for the second one”

thestabiliser
    Free Member

would like to mention here that before starting moaning here at STW, US MTBR-forum and Finnish bicycle forum I told to OO Service that I was very unsatisfied how they handled this case. Then I also mentioned that I will share my experience on different MTB-forums

There

tonyd

We need a “What radiator for garage holding carbon bikes ?” thread

Radiator? Peasant. Woodburner shirley? And if it’s in Finland a blinkin big woodburner.

bigrich

perhaps they should do extended warranties. that would solve a lot of whinging.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t see what the issue is, guys said he didn’t like their customer service and would be making sure others knew about it. Fair enough.

Jamie
    Free Member

Then I also mentioned that I will share my experience on different MTB-forums

I’m not sure I would class that as blackmail. As he didn’t say he would do X if O-O didn’t do Y. He just stated he is going to have a moan, as he wasn’t happy.

IANAL.

ransos
    Free Member

Does the Sale of Goods act apply for Finland too Ransos?

As far as I know, yes, because it’s a UK contract. In any case, Finland is a member of the EU, and there is harmonised consumer law in all EU countries, including fitness for purpose.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

OK blackmail is a bit OTT but it’s a threat of sorts, based on give me a new frame or I’ll bad mouth you.

I’d be me miffed if my frame had done that but to expect a new one outside the warranty is optimistic to say the least, a contribution to reapir or a good will gesture certainly but a new frame? Really?

Drac

OK blackmail is a bit OTT but it’s a threat of sorts, based on give me a new frame or I’ll bad mouth you.

That’s not what he said he told them he’d be telling people about the service he received as he was unhappy with it. You know a bit like Tripadvisor.

As far as I know, yes, because it’s a UK contract. In any case, Finland is a member of the EU, and there is harmonised consumer law in all EU countries, including fitness for purpose.

I’m not sure about the first bit as that surely would only apply for UK customers. The second bit seems to make sense but I’m sure they’ll be certain conditions to it too.

lehisj
    Free Member

I am not looking for sympathy and not expect OO to change their warranty policies at all. I would like just to share my experience about On-One with my fellow riders, who are in a situation to decide, which company’s frame/bike to purchase using their hard earned money!

Not everybody is in a luxorious situation just to purchase a new frame when the previous one just breaks down after every one and half year use.

Funny to hear the word blackmail here – for me it was just that I openly told them what will be my action based on their decision. Free world – free choice of actions – on their side and mine!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Would you really want a replacement frame from a company that have supplied you two and both have failed? I wouldn’t.

Probably best to suck it up, move on, buy a decent quality frame and put it down to experience.

Jamie
    Free Member

Ok, so we can all agree that thestabiliser is completely wrong, and he should go and sit on the naughty step? 😉

wwaswas

So the OP is moving onto a frame that probably costs twice as much as the on-one (or maybe 3 times, possibly 4 if you hit the on-one sales at the right time) and comes with a 3 year warranty with lots of caveats.

http://www.pivotcycles.com/tech/getPage/24-warranty-statement

frying pan to fire?

[edit] although the no fault replacement charge looks liek mroe than 10% off.

tonyd

It may be black and white from a warranty standpoint but there is a lot of grey on the moral front IMO.

Poor form from On One and if the OP really came on to air his views without looking to shame OO into a replacement then fair play to him.

FTR, I have a Pompetamine frame. It’s pretty good at doing what I want from it but it cost me £140 new. If it fell apart one day after the warranty expired I wouldn’t be particularly upset. If I’d paid £800 for a frame I’d probably feel different though.

ransos
    Free Member

I’m not sure about the first bit as that surely would only apply for UK customers. The second bit seems to make sense but I’m sure they’ll be certain conditions to it too.

I only had a quick look, but couldn’t see an exemption under SOGA for exports.

bajsyckel

My 2p…
    – The failures of the frames would embarrass me if I was involved with selling or manufacturing them. In OnOne’s postion I’d do all I could to sort them so that the customer is happy, regardless of warranty policies.

– Customer has a whinge on here. Suddenly Brant appears and say he’ll look into it. Customer announces he has no intention of spending more money with them. OneOne (or Brant) basically tells the customer that in that case they’re not interested in sorting it after all. Looks more like an attempt to save face publicly than any real concern for the customer who has already spent good money with them.

Struggling to see why the OP gets no sympathy or OnOne any credit in this.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m not sure I would class that as blackmail.

+1

Blackmail would have been “replace my frame or I’ll tell STW”, what he did say was “you haven’t replaced my frame, so I’m telling STW”. Maybe that could be construed as a last ditch attempt to get some goodwill from them under duress, but really it’s just a statement.

And really, it’s a fine line, is “cough up a new frame or I’ll take you to court” blackmail? Court procedings would be recorded and available for the public to read. So even if he had threatened to post on forums if he didn’t get his way, it’s just skipping the middleman. The result of posting on STW still relies on ‘winning’ popular opinion, if everyone said he was in the wrong O-O’s reputation would be intact. As it is, oppinions seems to be that it’s not crash damaged or had a hard life, it’s a design/manufacturing issue. So some goodwill might be expected.

Drac

I only had a quick look, but couldn’t see an exemption under SOGA for exports.

Did you see the bit where it states after 6 months it’s up to the buyer to prove it was a fault of the product and also that Scotland has different Laws to England and Wales, if Scotland can I guess Finland certain will. However, I guess you mean the European Directive which states 2 years but as it’s passed that then they are meeting that too.

Seems a shame they couldn’t offer something else but looks like lethsj wasn’t interested in a frame anyway and as they aren’t going to offer a refund I’m not sure what he expected.

RustySpanner

I feel let down by this thread.

How about we have a group hug, matey gets a bung, everyone’s a winner, cushty.

Go on, I love a happy ending.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Already backed away from the blackmail bit. SO you’re not getting me on that.

TINAS – I don’t think we need a court case to know O-O customer service is pap. They did make a goodwill gesture – a pretty shitty one mind. A better one would have been get it sorted and send us the bill blah blah but we don’t know waht the OP would have settled for.

OP, what would have been a satisfactory result to your warranty claim?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just for ballance, I don’t think there customer service is crap, whenever I’ve had to use it, it’s been fine. But I don’t send much back, a lot I’ve just written off as, ‘it was a £3 pair of gloves, or £10 headset, what did I expect?’

If I’d paid £800 for a frame I’d probably feel slightly different. I’d excpect the same sort of CS as the bigger brands.

ransos
    Free Member

Did you see the bit where it states after 6 months it’s up to the buyer to prove it was a fault of the product and also that Scotland has different Laws to England and Wales, if Scotland can I guess Finland certain will. However, I guess you mean the European Directive which states 2 years but as it’s passed that then they are meeting that too.

Yes, which is why I said that the OP would need to obtain an independent examination and report.

I think the EU two-year limit refers to the right of a consumer to return goods without them having to prove the fault – arguably we’re not compliant in the UK. Don’t forget that the frame was purchased in the UK – as far as I can see, the SOGA applies because the frame was purchased in this country.

lehisj
    Free Member

The funny thing here is that guess which frame I ride now before putting my Pivot LES together – On One Lurcher! I purchased it last year with very good price 299 euros (about £260) for a spare frame. If that breaks down after two years warranty I can assure that you will not see me moaning here – £260 vs. £800 makes quite a big difference; at least for me.

Also before this case happened (On One’s feedback to my latest quality complaint) I was very seriously considering to order Planet X Track bike to my son.

So I was their loyal customer for some years (several orders).

Drac

Don’t forget that the frame was purchased in the UK – as far as I can see, the SOGA applies because the frame was purchased in this country.

Now that’s not true he ordered it from the UK but he’s in Finland so isn’t covered by UK Law is how I see it.

ransos
    Free Member

Now that’s not true he ordered it from the UK but he’s in Finland so isn’t covered by UK Law is how I see it.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/can-i-return-an-item-bought-from-another-eu-country

“When you buy goods or services from a trader based in another EU country, some of your rights could depend on the laws of that country.

Some consumer rights laws are the same across the EU, for example the Distance Selling Regulations, but others depend on the legislation of a particular country, for example the Sale of Goods Act. “

So, someone in Finland purchasing a frame from the UK should be protected under SOGA.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’ll not waste any more time on it then.

Cheers.

I find that comment absolutely appalling! I’m with the OP on this, he has every right to share his experiences of a product that’s not fit for purpose.

I’ve never bought an On-One frame – although I’ve been a regular buyer of parts and accessories for several years – but on the basis of that comment, I won’t be buying from them again and I would certainly dissuade any of my biking friends from buying from them too.

What an arrogant twunt!

tonyd

What an arrogant twunt!

Brant probably could have put it better but the OPs previous comment did kind of make any attempts at rectifying the situation a bit pointless.

Drac

So, someone in Finland purchasing a frame from the UK should be protected under SOGA.

‘Could’ and ‘Some’ it’s not for certain which is my point you can’t quote to use the Sale of Goods Act as it may not be relevant.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

the OPs previous comment did kind of make any attempts at rectifying the situation a bit pointless.

The OP gave On One the opportunity to sort it out to his satisfaction twice. The first time they fulfilled a legal obligation and sent him another crap frame. The second time they’ve washed their hands of it.

Personally, I’m thankful that their is a forum like this where people can share those sorts of experiences and help consumers like myself decide where to spend our hard-earned money.

Can’t believe how many sycophants there are on here, eager to blow smoke up the arse of Brant!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

WARNING! Someone hasn’t had their dinner yet and are getting angry behind their keyboard.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

No problem with Brant’s comments over here. It may not look great, but it seemed obvious that the OP wasn’t going to change his mind or be happy with the outcome so why waste time and money on it. Better to worry about the customers you can still keep than ones that are lost forever…

ransos
    Free Member

‘Could’ and ‘Some’ it’s not for certain which is my point you can’t quote to use the Sale of Goods Act as it may not be relevant.

The article was quite clear: EU law always applies, but there may be additional protection, if such a law exists in the country you purchased the goods from. The SOGA is one such law, which is why it applies.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yeah, I wouldn’t have phrased it like that probably, but I’d have been thinking the same as Brant. He offered to look into it and maybe sort the problem out, the OP continued to slag off On-One. That’d make me disinclined to go over and above the warranty terms as well.

ransos
    Free Member

That’d make me disinclined to go over and above the warranty terms as well.

Warranty terms do not necessarily cover legal responsibilities. I also note that On-One were given a chance to rectify the situation before the OP appeared here.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m sorry you feel like that, and it’s a shame that you feel let down by our warranty terms. Obviously, if you would still like to discuss this, please contact me directly at…..

A more polite way to close it.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

The OP has already had an crap experience with On One before he posted on here. He’s already been told they won’t do anything which they don’t legally have to, but I’d be pissed off if I’d bought a frame that turned out to be such poor quality.

He posted on here to share his experience and warn others that On One frames are not fit for purpose. In doing so, he’s convinced me never to touch one of their bikes with a bargepole, but Brant’s arrogant and unprofessional response has convinced me to never buy any other parts or accessories from them ever again.

Mark

I’ll not waste any more time on it then.
    Cheers.

I find that comment absolutely appalling!

Really? How do you even make through each day?
    🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I hope those hoping for their lifetime warranty on their Specialized know that they consider 5 years to be lifetime like most of the big guys…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 296 total)

The topic ‘Word of warning of the quality and warranty of On-One Carbon Race 29-frames’ is closed to new replies.