Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Woot! New Model Army are touring NZ!
  • slimtubing
    Free Member

I am stoked, I never thought I’d see this happen! any old cloggers want to put an order in for a down under tour shirt?

Rex
    Free Member

quality, seen them a couple of times years back.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

You can cry when they do “Green and Grey”

whytetrash

When’s the last time you saw them Slim?…they just get better! Seen them twice in last 2 yrs awesome…crowd as mad as ever…battered and bruised afterwards…seen them a few(lost count TBH) times over last 21 yrs too!

darrell
    Free Member

last time i saw em was 3 years back in Zurich….they didnt play Green and Grey.. 🙁

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I saw them at Bingley Little Theatre somewhere around 1983/84, it was a benefit gig with various local Bands/performers including NMA (from Bradford) and Skeletal Family (from Keighley).

MrNutt
    Free Member

so thats where the 1980’s went!

slimtubing
    Free Member

haven’t seen them since a leeds gig circa ’95/6, have been here in Nz for 10 years, used to follow them on their european tours as much as possible in 88-91. Dad threw out my clogs and all my precious tees years ago as mice got into them in the attic. Was gutted!

Keef
    Free Member

bet they don’t do ‘vengence'(pardon spelling)
    lost count of the good times I’ve had at their gigs,always good,get down the front !!!

johnhoo
    Free Member

have you got “F*ck Texas” yet?

sc-xc

don’t they normally play Vengeance in the encore nowadays?

Either way, well documented on here that they are the best band out there…

Keef
    Free Member

dunno, not seen em for about 6 or 7 years,got a family now 😕

sc-xc

I feel your pain Keith…

saw them about 60 times in the early 90’s….now it’s only when I can get a babysitter!

Keef
    Free Member

LOL,sc-xc,yup used to be one of the best live bands around,along with the Cardiacs of course !

slimtubing
    Free Member

Haven’t got an album of theirs since Raw Melody Men, to my shame. but I think i’d better grab F*ck Texas so as to familiarise myself with 12 years of gig faves! i’ll be in there shirt off, fat bald and proud! Might even bung in my nosering for old times sake! The only relic I have left is a Red Sky Vest from the 89 germany tour, I reckon Justin will shit when he sees it!!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

You might have to wait longer than you thought, in a fit of nostalga I looked on their website, they’ve cancelled the tour down under til August.

johnhoo
    Free Member

http://www.newmodelarmy.org

I suggest you get “…and Nobody Else” too, as “F*ck Texas…” is basically the highlights of the tour promoting the last album, “High”. (They were supposed to be starting on the next album round about now, but sadly their manager, Tommy Tee, passed away suddenly.)

So at least half of the tracks are from High. Not all though. Poison Street, Vagabonds, Master Race too though…

Sounds like you guys have some research to do 😉

I followed them from 82 to 89, then missed them from about the Impurity or T&C tour (opened for them at Bradford Uni) up until the Carnival tour a couple of years back. I won’t be making that mistake again 😉

johnhoo
    Free Member

The only relic I have left is a Red Sky Vest from the 89 germany tour, I reckon Justin will **** when he sees it!!

I think he’s just finished a RSC tour

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I lost interest in about 1986 after they appeared on Top of the Pops.

John, do you remember the name of the punk/poet guy who used to appear on stage with the likes of Joolz, NMA etc I think he dressed like the invisible man, in a suite with his face bandaged up?.

slimtubing
    Free Member

That wasn’t Seething Wells was it? Laterally Steven Wells of NME. ^

whytetrash

B.A.Nana…..you’ve missed so much, not like they sold out in 86, did some awesome tours around Thunder&Consolation and Impurity. **** TEXAS is good but at least SlimTubing’s got time to listen to HIGH and EIGHT now

Clogs went years ago…also went mouldy in loft…still got a ton of Tshirts though

Gig highlights would be Reading festival..”we were singing in the rain” (as it rained) and probably their smallest gig Thecla sp? a boat in Bristol docks…wierd seeing a band underwater about 2 years ago…Also remember seeing them in their first ever gig under a Labour govt…pleased Justin…even though I recall he thought Tony Blair had too many teeth!

XC Keith…family shouldn’t stop you they only play a couple of times a year…beg a pass…you’ll love it plus get down the front for 2hours workout equivalent to doing the Marin I reckon!

GW
    Free Member

xckeith1 – Member
    dunno, not seen em for about 6 or 7 years,got a family now

What’s that gotta do with it?

took my 3yr old to see them a few years ago.. it was a bit sad TBH
    (loved them in their day)

whytetrash

GW its down to perspective I suppose, trust me they seem a lot better when you are down the front…never watch bands from the bar always a bit detatched

Saw the Sex Pistols in Manchester from a corporate box…yawn!…I’m sure if I’d been at the front I would have appreciated them a lot more!

GW
    Free Member

I’ve been down the front of loads of NMA gigs, you’re right, it is very different to standing at the bar. a mosh pit filled with 40yr olds is also very different than one filled with 20yr olds 😉

johnhoo
    Free Member

like a good wine, they get better with age. IMHO

Keef
    Free Member

dunno,I wouldn’t mind seeing em again, have sooooo many good memories,still listen to them quite often but bit like an ex,never go back 😳

eFool
    Free Member

I believe in Justin,
    I believe in violins,
    I believe in clogging fat b4stards, clogging fat b4stards, clogging fat b4stards NOW!

eFool
    Free Member

Although the last time i saw them “we’ve seen them fat and bloated, those who once could hold the fray” would be closer to the truth.

heh. great lyricist, but better left in the past methinks. for nostalgias sake i’ll check out this new album tho.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Whytetrash, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying they sold out or anything, but I’m sure you can appreciate (at the time) what an 18yr old angry young punk would think of seeing them on Top of the Pops. 😯

I’m happy with my memories of seeing bands like Crass, Dead Kennedys, Cramps, Sisters of Mercy etc etc…. and local bands like NMA, 3 Johns, Skeletal Family, Southern Death Cult. I’m not that bothered about what they do now, it would only make me feel very old.

johnhoo
    Free Member

I love most of the music you mention BANana but I would never associate Andrew Eldritch & friends with Crass or Dead Kennedys. I spent my late teens / early twenties listening to all of the above – and many more – and NMA are the only ones that have moved on with the times (IMO)

The TOTP incident was interesting – while The Clash always refused to appear on TOTP because “they won’t let us play live”, Justin, Rob & Stuart said “only if we can play live”; if the TOTP crew had refused you would have seen Justin on drums, Stuart on guitar & Rob on bass & vocals – clearly miming of course.
    Musical integrity won out that night; meanwhile, those of us at Huddersfield Poly waiting for the band to play on that wednesday night had a very long wait for them to get back from London…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

John, to a 17/18 year old at the time, for me, punk/goth was much the same and time moved slowly then (not like now!). I saw Crass/SDC around 1983 and NMA/DK/Sisters etc around 1984. eg I saw Crass at Hebden Bridge May 1983 and SDC at the warehouse (Leeds) around the same time. Dead Kennedys and Sisters at Leeds Uni around the same time in 1984 and Death Cult (or maybe The Cult) at the Beer Keller in Leeds in 1984. I suppose I came from early eighties punk (with 70s punk nostalga) and got into goth because at that time goth was were is was all going for a short time, and at that age labelling and pigeonholing didn’t really matter, then came Acid House, which completely passed me by. I was a regular at the 1 in 12 club in Bradford if you remember that, 3 Johns were the house band at the time.

johnhoo
    Free Member

I certainly do. Played there myself a couple of times. 3 Johns were ace.

You must be very close to my age, I was 18 in ’83, grew up on SLF, The Clash, The Damned, Banshees etc, then when goth first started appearing late 82 I started getting into that – SDC, Bauhaus, NMA, Skeletal Family, 3 Johns, Requiem/Psychosurgeons (RIP Willy) – supported them loads of times; Killing Joke, Play Dead, Sisters, Sex Gang Children, XMal, all that stuff. Some psychobilly too – Meteors, King Kurt, The Cramps.

I never really got Alien Sex Fiend though :-S

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Wild Willy Beckett, I think he was the guy I asked about in a post above, he dressed as the invisible man with a bandaged up face, right? If so, he was at the Bingley Little Theatre benefit gig with NMA and Joolz etc. As you were in the local scene at the time, do you know anymore than the standard line about what happened in SDC, I heard alot of rumours at the time, basically Ian was considered a bit of a **** in Bradford it seemed, certainly he appeared to walk away with everything and Aky/buzz with sweet FA.

johnhoo
    Free Member

allegedly Ian said something very nasty about Stuart Morrow’s mother. And was asked to leave town. And not come back. ever.

How true or not I don’t know, but as I haven’t seen Stuart for 20 years I can’t ask him. Any more than that I can’t tell you. Probably one of those urban myths.

Of course after SDC split, IA & Billy Duffy formed Death Cult (later to become The Cult as we all know); the rest of SDC recruited another singer and became “Getting The Fear”. One single & then obscurity.

WWB dressed up as a surgeon – hence the “Psychosurgeons”, after “Doctor & The Inmates” was deemed to be a bit too much like “Doctor & The Medics” (I supported them once too)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I still have the Getting the Fear 12″ single, I’m sure there’s footage on youtube of them appearing on top of the pops. I had no idea about the possible Stuart Morrow story. I’m pretty sure it was Wild Willy Beckett that appeared at Bingley, so I’m maybe getting confused about what he was wearing. I also saw Flesh for Lulu (possibly supporting the Sisters), the Inca Babies, the Cramps

allyp
    Free Member

just enjoyed reading your thread, especially the last few posts from BAnana and johnhoo — i must have been at most of the same gigs as you were around that time, precious memories.

slimtubing
    Free Member

‘Notwoot’ NMA cancelled NZ tour til next year (if at all)Humph! Still the Specials ticketa go on sale today, might go to that to cheer myself up.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Hi AllyP
    So tell me your story?, did you frequent the Boltmakers in Keighley? and the 1 in 12 club in Bradford?. Anne-Marie Hurst still lives in Keighley to my knowledge and is still as beautiful as she was in Skeletal Family in the 80s, I last chatted to her about 10 years ago in the Busfield Arms in East Morton.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Cool thread. 🙂

I’m seeing NMA this month in Frome with the Almighty. Saw them a lot in the late 80s early 90s. Still great. I thought some of the more recent albums were a bit cack, but High is very good.

Re SDC and bands afterwards – does anyone remember Into A Circle?

johnhoo
    Free Member

the name rings a bell, not sure why.

raise a glass to Tommy’s memory for me at Frome.

everyone, please bookmark http://www.newmodelarmy.org

I was an irregular at the 1-in-12; played there a few times.

Anyone remember SDA (Seven Dead Americans/Astronauts)?
    http://www.myspace.com/johnhoomusic

I have a new band now: http://www.wickeffect.co.uk

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Woot! New Model Army are touring NZ!’ is closed to new replies.