Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Winter Road Wheels
  • jlc
    Free Member

Just looking to replace some Shimano R501 wheels on the winter road bike. Was looking at Planet X Al30s but they have been discontinued. Looking for something under 150quid a pair and if possible lighter than the Shimanos.

oldgit
    Free Member

Sticking with el cheapos is probably the best option isn’t it?. Campagnolo Khamsin come up lighter and do a Shimano hub option

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

R500’s here for 3 winters of all weathers. Think I got them for around £60 from merlincycles. I service them after the winter and they are good to go for another year. Looking around they are around £70 now and at that price they are practically disposable.

jimc101
    Free Member

Fulcrum Racing 7, can be had for £113 from Ribble, they knock a whopping 241g (not sure if the Shimano weight includes the QR’s though) off. Have used 7’s for the last 6-7 years, 20000+ km, the only issues I have had was when a rear got bent after being hit by a car.

tinribz
    Free Member

^^^ I might get a pair of them for my main set!

woodnut
    Free Member

Much as I like Planet X stuff, the AL30s had awful seals. I’ve got a pair in my shed, bearings went after 9 months…I had some Fulcrum R7s and they were very good, but I like Shimano wheels, easy & cheap to service with the old cup & cones. RS11s can usually be found < £100??

benji
    Free Member

Another vote for Fulcrum Racing 7’s here ridden them through all weathers, no problems, raced cyclocross on them no breakages.

jonk

The Fulcrums are the best for the money but when the freehub breaks it can be expensive compared with a shimano r500 / rs10 freehub. I use a set of Aksiums for winter 4 winters now with bugger all maintenance although the steel spokes are looking a little corroded.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Winter Road Wheels’ is closed to new replies.