Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • (winter) road bikes with an alfine hub
  • jonb
    Free Member

Other than the pompetamine and the crois de fer, what alfine road bikes are out there?

Does anyone ride one and how do you get on with the 8 speed.

I’m interested in getting one for commuting year round, the 10 or so occasions when I actually use my winter road bike which includes rides upto 80 miles and a few chaingangs. My winter road bike needs some money spent on it to bring it up to a decent standard as it’d getting old and I’d like to reduce the bikes I own. Would it be relatively easy to swap an alfine bike to a singlespeed wheel for summer commuting duties. It would get me more use out of the more expensive hub (I assume) if I didn’t use it for 7 months of the year. Current commuter is a singlespeed and I like the simplicity and reliability.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’m on the cusp of a Pompetamine Versa – to replace my Genesis Vapour cross bike that’s been fantastic as a commuter. I just want discs instead of V brakes…

I tried Alfine gears on an old Inbred and wasn’t taken on them, so am a bit unsure as to how they’ll feel, but I do carry a rack on the back so am used to the weight on the road bike. At £799 it looks very good VFM though, and I like the low maintenance aspects too.

Have you ridden one yet?

TheFopster
    Free Member

You may not have seen this:
    Other thread

Stupid cheap if you can park snobbery at the cheap car stereo department…

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes but not a road bike but a MTB so smaller wheels ..still tempting though

jonb
    Free Member

For what I want I’m not that bothered about brand although I’d like it to look nice (As nice looking bikes are faster).

I ideally want something more racey but still strong and reliable. Like a tourer/Audax or cross bike.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

That Subway is excellent value for money but I’m also after a drop bar / 700c bike – a “tough road bike”, more than a “fast mtb”.

topper

I bought a Ridgeback Flight ’04 in November and have so far done around 1300 London commuting miles on it. The bike was around a grand and came with Deore Discs, and seems fairly light for it’s type.
    The Alfine 8 took me a few miles to adjust to. The shifter is ‘backwards’; when i do use my MTB (not so often as i’d like..) if find i’m shifting the wrong way all the time (2005 XT), which is frustrating. Also you have to back-off a little when shifting otherwise it g’grinds’ a little.

Maintenance-wise, I justed swapped the chain for a new one at around 600 miles and will put it back on, all clean and shiny, shortly.

Bear in mind the Alfine 11 is due…

T.

Kahurangi

My Singular Peregrine has a duty to appear on these threads – it can regularly be seen hurtling up and down Tynedale, though it’s probably noticeable heftier and draggier than a ‘road bike’.

ir_bandito’s is for sale and he’s based in Hexham…

ir_bandito’s

mine

jonb
    Free Member

ir_bandito’s is nice but too pricey.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Charge Tap – 45% off at wiggle (£329). Just bought on recently. Search for my thread.

BTW How are shifting the Alfine/Nexus with drop bars? Don’t they stop you fitting the shifter?

jonb
    Free Member

There are drop bar shifters these days if that’s what you mean. Those Charge’s are only in tiny sizes unfortunately.

motorman
    Free Member

I have just ordered a subway 8 tonight for £320, pretty much paying for Alfine gear & brakes, bike is free at that price 😆

damitamit
    Free Member

I have one built up around a Salsa Casseroll frame. Used mostly for commuting, thou has been touring and on a few winter club runs (to the annoyance of the road club!). Tbh, I wouldnt want to ride it alot on club runs as the gaps between the gears mean its annoying to pedal in a group. You’re either in a too hard gear or a too easy gear.

Love it for commuting thou!

On the way to Amsterdam, but it looks pretty much like that in commuting mode (minus the barbag).

Wish that Subway mentioned above was 700c! I need a new alfine wheel and that would have been a bargain.

Kahurangi

ir_bandito’s is nice but too pricey

Though it fulfils your ‘nice looking’ requirement 😀

BTW How are shifting the Alfine/Nexus with drop bars? Don’t they stop you fitting the shifter?

Versa VR8 drop bar shifters.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘(winter) road bikes with an alfine hub’ is closed to new replies.