Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Winter MTB shoes.
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Now the weather is drawing in I’ve started thinking about possibly investing in some winter MTB shoes. Last winter we rode a lot through the winter and the only thing I struggled with was cold feet. I used thin socks, merino socks, waterproof socks (not all at once, trying different combinations), I had thick over shoes over the top too. So is it worth investing in some decent winter shoes? Just started nosying and see these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-mw80-mtb-cycling-shoes/

or these, are this the more specific winter ones? But they look very similar?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-mw81-gore-tex-winter-boots/

Are these shoes worth the money? Can you recommend me something you have worn and like? I have a size 7 so they really don’t need to be women’s specific.
    Thanks.

peteimpreza

81 is the newer version of 80.

I have 80s, very good shoes.

footflaps

The Shimano ones are very good, keep your feet warm and dry all winter. The others I’ve used are Gaerne Polar boots – also excellent, I got many years of them them before replacing with the Shimano ones.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member
    bol

Spesh defrosters are worth a look too. They’re not as thick or warm as some but are more versatile and can be beefed up with thicker socks or overshoes. Mine are about to start their third winter and are still in very good condition.

clubber
    Free Member

my defrosters are proving very durable too but I’ll also point out that they’re not really warm on their own just well waterproofed.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

These are good and a bargain HERE for £49! Two folk I ride with love them. I’ve bought other kit from the seller and they’re reliable.

Get the 42 I’ve linked to here coz they come up a size smaller, trust me. 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Thanks Bol and Clubber but I’ve tried various pairs of socks in thicker shoes with over shoes and it just wasn’t enough.
    Wow they are considerably cheaper, anyone know how they compare to Shimano or Northwave?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member
    namastebuzz
    Free Member

Honestly, you can’t go wrong for £50. They (did) do retail for £100
    I’ve got the Diadora Arctic Boots and they’ve done a sterling job. One mate has used the Chillis for two Aberdeenshire winters/autumns/springs and they’re still in good nick and her indoors uses a pair too.

Another friend commutes 30 miles per day in the Chilli road boots.

Last time I put a link up to them other STWers snapped them up so get ’em quick if you want ’em. 😉

flashes
    Free Member

I’m size 7, I too have the Shimano ones but bought 42, so I can also get a pair or 2 of Merino socks on as well.
    Before that, last year we were forced to stop in every cafe that sold cake, so we could defrost our feet, even though I had reasonable shoes 2 pairs of sock and plastic bags on………

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lakes IMHE very dear but mine are 5 years old and look like new and look like they will outlast me.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I think those Diadora ones are super cheap as a starting point! But I think i’ll have to go for a 42 to fit the shoes on.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I finally (after many winters of dithering and faffing about with rubbishy overshoes) piked out for some Northwave Celsius and they are awseome. They do a warmer one too, but I find mine with Endura merino socks worked great. I use them for a long commute and mucking about on the mountain bike and all they seem to need is a wipe down with a rag when I get back home. They’re not waterproof from the top though, so if you wear longs with them, the water just runs down the inside, but that aside – money well spent. I sized one euro size up on mine. (44 to a 45)

bruneep

Just got a pair of MW81 from http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk

Got them last month for £102 with their sept discount 8)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Right well as I’m tight I thought I’d start with the £50 as they have good reviews and at 1/2 the price of the Northwave and Shimano they have to be a good starting point! When the weather gets cold I’ll let you know. Went for a 42 in the end, tried on Mr MC’s normal Chilli’s which are 41 with my thick merino and sealskinz socks on and they felt a bit tight! I hope I don’t have flipper feet 😉

gonetothehills
    Free Member

LOL – keep your feet, hands and ears warm and it’s waaaay more fun riding in the depths of winter.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Winter MTB shoes.’ is closed to new replies.