Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Winter Ale Sharing
  • cfinnimore
    Free Member

Just had a Loch Lomond brewery “Brave hop”.

6%, dark n biscuity.

Black Island Smoked porter tonight.

Ah, festive.

ton

magic rock dark arts 6% on sunday, at The Grove in Huddersfield.
    it was very nice

cinnamon_girl

Seeing as off-licences have all but disappeared, are there actually any shops that stock a large choice of beer?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yes, they’re called “pubs”. 😛

Albanach
    Free Member

There’s a great shop in Sr Andrews near to Nahm Jims with an outstanding selection 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Dahn Saaaarf please!

* awaits singletrackmind’s presence on the Forum cos he’ll be able to help. *

🙂

Nick

You want a Booths Supermarket if you want a good selection of beer, oh, you said darn sarf, oh well 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh fine, so I can’t answer this can I, CG? 😉

Obviously, I have to recommend my ex-local – Cask in SW1 for the most astonishing range of rare, different and stunning beers, all available to take awaay.

Beyond that? Well, I have to say that both Waitrose and the Co-Op seem to put a lot of effort in to sourcing a good range of UK beers, and especially so for local beers. Waitrose in Salisbury (Not a million miles away from you, CG) has an excellent range from the likes of HopBack (natch!), Thornbridge, Bristol Beer Factory, Oakham, Meantime, Itchen Valley, Butcombe and more besides. Then they also have some good ‘standards’ from the likes of Brains, Fullers, Adnams et al.

Also in Salisbury, the rather excellent Cambridge Wine Merchants, on Winchester St, just off the Market Square, carry lots of interesting stuff, including that other local stalwart, Stonehenge Ales (Hello, Stig! 🙂 ) as well as some other fascinating stuff. They also do Moor, and the truly lovely Merlin’s Magic is the pick from that brewery.

zilog6128

Had a pint of Harviestoun’s Sleigh Driver last night. Most Christmas ales don’t quite hit the spot for me but this was really nice, dark and subtly spiced. I could happily drink it year round!

theotherjonv

If you’re ever back up in this part of the world, the Hogs Back brewery shop doesn’t just do hogs back stuff

http://www.hogsback.co.uk/about-us/brewery-shop/

kcal

Spey Valley Brewery – Spey Stout (have to say that quickly, after several) – Spey Stout

thetallpaul
    Free Member

The House of Trembling Madness in York has a very impressive range of beers and spirts. Nice bar upstairs too.

mogrim

Do miss a proper pub 🙁

Still, this year has seen the discovery of a beer shop in Las Rozas / Madrid, which has gone a small way to make up for it.

grievoustim
    Free Member

Had 3x pints of Dark Star Winter Meltdown at the Prince Albert in brighton Monday night

Delicious – subtly “festive” without being some kind of novelty beer

cinnamon_girl

Thanks to the Cap’n and theotherjonv for some helpful information. 🙂

May I come back to my point about the disappearance of off-licenses? Has nothing replaced them and surely there’s other places to buy besides supermarkets?

Oooh, just had a thought – there was a wine shop cum beer shop in Alresford selling a good range. Not sure if it’s still there so will need to take a look.

Perhaps they’re going the way of record shops? 🙁

ton

places like mybrewerytap and beer clubs are a good idea.

http://www.mybrewerytap.co.uk/

chvck
    Free Member

The big Tesco stores seem to stock a pretty wide range of good beers.

cinnamon_girl

I was looking at that site earlier ton but postage is pricey!

To be honest, I really want somewhere to go and browse an interesting selection of beers from all over the UK. It wouldn’t be too intimidating, after all wimminz do drink pints. 😉

ton

CG, mrs ton is a real ale bird too…… 8)

Tesco, morrisons and booths always have a good choice of bottles now.

spchantler
    Free Member

dark side of the moose, from purple moose in port madog i think, also arctic fox, from slightly foxed, made by my own fair hand, my new favourite drink. chin chin!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aldi has some cracking ales at present, and at good prices. Always have williams bros stuff in (in Scotland anyway), which I’m partial to.

singletrackmind

Arrives fashionably late to the party.
    Romsey Beer Emporium is where you need to be .
    Draught and bottles galore . Failing that its a whizz round Tesco / Waitrose / Chavsda as they all have agood range , many local. Often do multi buy deals at 4 for £5.
    St Nichs Tipple is our winter offering . 5% and black with more than a hint of Coffee and dark chocolate, smooth and subtly hopped which lets the malty flavours lead. IVB IPA will be my weapon of choice to get through xmas day as im hosting family.

and i am the gringe.

ian911uk
    Free Member

Cinnamon girl, a couple of places localish are http://www.bittervirtue.co.uk/ at the end of the avenue in Southampton ( massive selection of beers from around the world), and http://www.southwickbrewhouse.co.uk/ ( again with a large selection of beer and cider from around the uk).
    My first stop on a friday night is Hiltingbury Wine, great selection of local beer and my favourite 146 cider.

All of them well worth a visit.

Markie
    Free Member

There’s a lovely beer shop in Twickenham, with a solid online presence too (more than 100 tasty ales and beers!)… http://www.realale.com/

When we lived close enough I was a member of their monthly real ale / beer club – delicious! http://www.realale.com/index.php?cPath=81

Sonor
    Free Member

Cobbets real ales in Dorking.

Cobbets real ales

I’ve been looking at the brewery’s in London, like Moncada and wierd beard brewery, just trying to find a shop that sells them, Only oddbins so far.

cinnamon_girl

Great replies, thanks folks. Now busy investigating. 8)

cinnamon_girl

singletrackmind – thanks very much for that and it looks fantastic! Huge selection and amazed at how many Hampshire breweries there are.

Will definitely give St Nich’s a try, have been finding some of yours in Waitrose. 🙂

Just keep smiling on Xmas Day, go on you know you want to. 😉

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

had my delivery of festive fare from Beers of Europe.
    but no
    penguin

Candodavid
    Free Member

Try a drop of rosey nosey or bah humbug, both from aldi, nice and dark, reap the wind the following day though…phew

ian911uk
    Free Member

Singletrackmind, where is it you work? If you don’t mind me asking.

singletrackmind

New Alresford without naming names as Google can lead people down many roads

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I was pissed when I started this… Forgot all about it.

Alechemy MoFo. Mmm 7%.

ton

sierra nevada pale tonight……very nice

spchantler
    Free Member

a bottle of robinsons old tom, and half a pint of baileys. nom nom

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Winter Ale Sharing’ is closed to new replies.