Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Windows 7: sloooooow intenet downloads
  • allthepies
    Free Member

OK, hive mind, please help!

Had a new Win 7 PC delivered today and all assembled OK. However! The internet download speed is appalling – < 2kbs from a 5Mbps line. PC is connected via ethernet direct to an ADSL modem/router and an XP box connected to the same router works fine and can download at the speeds you’d expect.

If I run a speedcheck on the win7 machine then it shows 5Mb/s connectivity *but* if I start downloading any software package (Firefox / MSE etc) then download speed just dies and we get the < 2kbs speed. The same download tried on the XP box works just fine.

Some googling shows that others have have such problems but so far no conclusive solutions. It must be some magic Win 7 setting somewhere – any ideas ?

(win7 Pro 64 bit)

Tried booting into Safe mode with networking and same prob. Completely new PC delivered today from Dell.

Drac

Any Anti-Virus software on there?

Stoner
    Free Member

how weird. interested in seeing if anyone has a solution for this (says me with a perfectly fast W7 connection 🙂 )

molgrips
    Free Member

Why don’t you call Dell?

allthepies
    Free Member

Oooo, some progress!

Just rebooted after trying out numerous internet suggestions and got blistering fast download speeds 🙂

Don’t know which change has done the business however, will have to gradually reapply changes and see what breaks it again 🙂

Thanks for the replies chaps.

allthepies
    Free Member

Darn, appears to have gone slow again – WTF!

Did have some Trend AVG installed out of the box but have just removed that and am in process of installing MSE.

Crell
    Free Member

Are you with Plusnet as your ISP? They’ve had problems today which seem to have just been fixed that would have the same effect.

Check your ISP service status, then try your old PC to make sure it’s really your new one that’s at fault.

allthepies
    Free Member

Yes, this is via Plusnet. However it’s odd that other PC’s connected to the same router are OK.

I’ll try tomorrow or whenever Plusnet are fully functioning again so that they can be ruled out of the equation.

Crell
    Free Member

Basically they’ve put you (and me, and everyone else who’se had the misfortune to reboot their router today) on a traffic profile that’s designed to not use much bandwidth. That rules any download / media type stuff – though youtube was working a few mins ago.

Link to their problem record / updates on the fix.

I’d be pertty sure this is the cause of your dire download speeds, and not your shiny new PC.

*Edit…just read that your other PCs are working…unlikely to be this then…just DON’T reboot your router or it will be 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Hope so! But XP PC plugged into the same router can perform the same downloads just fine. Win7 can’t even perform a MSE virus Db update!

Cougar

Has it got any shovelware rubbish on there, “Internet Security” type stuff?

Same on wired and wireless?

allthepies
    Free Member

The only crud it had was Trend Anti Virus, which has now gone. PC is ethernet only, no wireless.

allthepies
    Free Member

Update: Looks like it was the Plusnet issues. The PC is absolutely flying today 🙂 Intel i7 rocks !

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Windows 7: sloooooow intenet downloads’ is closed to new replies.