Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Will Truvativ x7 gxp 2×10 chainset work with shimano shifters
  • retrobloke
    Free Member

Has anyone tried a Truvativ x7 gxp 2×10 chainset with xt 9 speed shifters and rear mech or know of any compatibility issues.

alpin
    Free Member

no… as i understand it only the front mech will work with “mis-matched” brands.

pull ratio on the rear is different for Shimano and Sram.

retrobloke
    Free Member

Hi Alpin
    Thanks for the reply. Has anyone else any views on compatability. I am aware of different pullratio, but thought it would not impact on chainset, but would only affect say xt 9 speed rear mech with sram shifter not working together. Any help would be much appreciated

theboatman
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted this same chainset with 9 speed x9 shifters and rear mech, with XT cassette and slx front mech and ultegra 10 speed chain (had it in the spares box). All works fine, there is a pic of it in the ‘what have you bought this week’ thread on the bike forum. As you have just said, I can’t see how it will make any difference if you are using xt shifters etc.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The compatibility is indeed in relation to the chain and chainset. The actual shifting system is not a concern, so I think you can forget about the shifter/mech. Assuming you’re using a 9-speed chain, the question you need to ask is: will a 9-speed chain work on the Truvativ chainset?

theboatman
    Free Member

will a 9-speed chain work on the Truvativ chainset?

I initially used my about ready for replacing 9 speed chain when I first set up mine (as above post). It did seem to run about rough, so just tried a very lighly used 10 speed one for my spares box and was a lot smoother. Not sure if it was the chain being pretty worn (park tool suggested it was still fine, but just) or if the narrower chin helped. I was having a couple of beers whilst setting it up so didn’t think about it too hard.

On a general note, I found things worked better using the old middle ring posistion on the x9 shifter for the little ring, when setting it up.

retrobloke
    Free Member

Many thanks to all the people that have replied

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Will Truvativ x7 gxp 2×10 chainset work with shimano shifters’ is closed to new replies.