Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Will my bike collapse and kill me or am I just being a big girl?
  • djen83
    Free Member

Need some advice please! I went to get my bottle from the cage during a ride today, the cage and some frame came with it! Its a Ribble Deda EM2 bought 07/2011.

1. Does anybody know how long the Ribble Warranty is for alloy frames? (I know to ring and ask but it wont be open until Tuesday, I’ve also checked the website and cannot find any information anywhere)

2. Would you dare ride this in the meantime? Is it structurally safe?…

wiggles
    Free Member

No and no

Jeffus
    Free Member

gaffer tape and a stick , but no not really

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cookeaa

That’ll polish out no bother…

cardo

Put a sticker over it and wear your full face moto lid, but I wouldn’t swing a leg over it personally.

schmiken

I’d still ride that.

lunge

My instinct is it would be fine but equally I’m not sure I’d ride it.

anthemrules
    Free Member

You went to get the bottle from the cage ???

maccruiskeen

Just how big a girl are you?

scaredypants

I don’t think it’ll collapse* – I’d probably ride it but I’d also get back to Ribble & see what they say

*(I’m most definitely NOT qualified to comment)

djen83
    Free Member

Yea pretty much as described – must have been balanced well! I’ve done about 10 hours worth of riding with my headphones on in the last week so wouldn’t have heard any noises of it ‘going’. Prob not the best idea in hindsight!

Any ideas about warranty anybody?

Haze

Buy a new one and stick it on the turbo trainer.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Is it a sticker?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I would send a piccie to Ribble. The frame rivnuts have probably not been put in properly and have stressed the material which is very thin. And , no, I wouldn’t trust it. it looks like a crack on the upper one as well.

woodsman
    Free Member

Do not ride it. The down tube is the most stressed tube on a bike frame, and at it’s weakest in the centre where you have two ripped out holes.

Warranty, if that fails bin it.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’m completely reckless, but wouldn’t ride that 😯 that’s the silly light alloy frame they did. If it is, it’s the one most racers used it as a expendable crit frame. If it lasted half a season it was good going. I’d just bin it and move on.

Edric64
    Free Member

I think that is a dead frame.I would try for a cheap replacement as I bet the warranty isnt over 2 years

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

No, you’ll have a massive stress riser where that crack/rip is.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Ride it until it fails, but it WILL fail. just keep an eye on it.

I give it a month.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Your downtube is under tension not compression and it will most likely be fine for a couple more rides, take a look at slingshot bikes! However it’s got two bloody great holes in it so unless you can find a decent sticker the right size for now I’d get a new one.

woodsman
    Free Member

DT is under both compression and tension. Imagine how the load would change under heavy braking – the forks are trying to tuck under the frame. Tension whilst riding on the flat – no braking.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Will my bike collapse and kill me or am I just being a big girl?’ is closed to new replies.