Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Will a Chris King headset save me from ever worrying about bearings again?
  • thebunk

I tend to wash the bike and then store it in a leaky shed, so it has a hard life.

I had a three week injury spell where I didn’t see the bike, and the top headset bearings rusted – it was a reasonably cheap FSA, though with sealed bearings – maybe around 7-8 months old.

Will a Chris King last 2-3 years without me worrying about it, or will it make no difference, as I’m not storing my bike in the warm?

Ta,

thebunk

5lab

not if you pressure wash it, no

yesiamtom
    Free Member

cane creek s3 form CRC for £17, how can you go wrong? Would use paypal though….;)

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem with one yet and my oldest is more than 10 years old and it’s been on several bikes.

ruscle
    Free Member

In short, yes. They are pricey but a true fit and forget.

traildog
    Free Member

No, but it will be much better. I’ve never had more than a few months out of cheap FSA ones.

RealMan
    Free Member

No, yes, no, yes, no, yes.

STW at it’s best. They do look cool though, and if you get one 2nd hand then decide it’s not for you you won’t lose much (if anything) on resale.

traildog
    Free Member

Seriously, of course they’re not going to. They don’t break the laws of physics, they are just much better made and sealed.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes. It will last 10 years. Even I can’t wreck a King headset….!

That said I’ve now got a Cane Creek 110 on the Pitch, so we’ll see how well that lasts!

thebunk

5lab, rest assured I only ever use the finest silk sponge and the water from a fair maidens bath to clean my precious dandyhorse…(and my bike).

Thanks all. I’ll think of it as a birthday present to myself.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

try the Cane Creek – Chris King is a bit of a marketing machine.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Buy a CK – you’ll only have to worry about your steerer being scored to buggerey.

I suggest you buy a cane creek s8 – stainless steel bearings don’t rust

Or a CC Aer headset – no bearings at all !

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Will a Chris King headset save me from ever worrying about bearings again?’ is closed to new replies.