Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Wild Camping – Cadair Idris
  • brooess
    Free Member

I was looking at the map last night with a view to a 2-day walk – maybe a traverse – around Cadair Idris so I can get a full weekend out in the hills with a spot of wild camping on Saturday night – some kind of ‘there and back’ but there don’t seem to be any obvious camping spots.

Anyone got any suggestions for a 2-dayer round there that would take in the summit?

ta

RustySpanner

You do know what happens if you fall asleep at the top, don’t you?

Or have you done it already? 😉

This one looks ok: http://www.walkeryri.org.uk/Routes/cadair.html

Sorry, link works now.

Top photo, Stoner. Hope you were carrying the sandwiches and cake to compensate.

IHN

There’s a bothy at the summit isn’t there?

Stoner
    Free Member

Cant help with the route, but always take an opportunity to post one of my favourties pictures: Mrs Stoner and Stoner Jr on the saddle just below the summit of Cadair

EDIT: dont recall a bothy….

IHN

Nice to see you’re being the gent and making her carry the offspring 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

it’s an evolutionary throwback. You cant see it in the picture but Im actually dealing with a couple of sabre tooth tigers and a tar pit while Im taking the photo.

(and anyway, I lugged the chubby so-and-so up to the top!)

surfer
    Free Member

She doesnt look that chubby to me! 😉

psling
    Free Member

IHN – Member
    There’s a bothy at the summit isn’t there?

Not so much a bothy as a shelter. Dark and dank, room for a few people in there. Possible to get a night’s sleep in there, bivi-bag and sleep mat would be useful (essential!!) though.

Can get quite busy in there at weekends!

Stoner
    Free Member

🙂

Rich
    Free Member

There are good camp sites either side if you wanted to try that.

snowpaul
    Free Member

theres a small rock wall circular shelter up there maybe do as a bivy with a tent fly over the top…

paul

stratobiker
    Free Member

Dunno if it’s improved any, but the shelter at the top of Cader Idris used to be awful. It had no door, so the sheep used to get in and crap everywhere.

grahamh
    Free Member

Plenty of good spots down near the lake.
    (at work so I can’t refer to the map to give you its name)

stever
    Free Member

The hut’s still there. Still no door. In decent nick if a little damp and draughty. Benches all round, some a bit precarious for sleeping 🙂

Loads of opportunities for wild camping I’d have thought. Just set off?

Rich
    Free Member

Have you been yet?

I’m considering going soon, trying to decide between a bivvy at the top, or staying in a tent by Llyn Cau.

Ambrose

Loads of choices- biggest consideration is sufficient water. Top up your supplies when you can. The summit shelter has narrow benches, too narrow to sleep on confidently. If the weather is nasty I suggest you sleep on a mat on the floor, put it on a bivvibag if the floor is yeuchy. If the weather is OK, there is a great little grassy hollow some way down from the summit, towards Mynydd Moel. By far the best bed to be had. Room for two or three, easily. I keep a photo of our bivvi there by my phone at work, to remind me that there are good times.

Ambrose

If worried about the sheep (never been a problem I’ve encountered) use rucsacs to block the doorway.

Rich
    Free Member

No, dont fancy the shelter, would be out in the open.

Would take micro tarp in case of bad weather.

Could you get tent pegs in the ground at the summit?

alexonabike

the shelter at the top is ok for kipping in. I spent a night on the benches, the worse bit being the wind howling through the gaps in the stone work.

There is a good camping spot on the side of the A487 at the spot height 285 on OS 1:50,000 maps.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=cadair%20idris&countryCode=GB#map=52.71097,-3.86701|15|4&dp=os&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:52.70993:-3.84264:15|cadair%20idris|

It is sometimes used by the Outward Bound groups from Aberdovey and is nice and flat and well sheltered. It is in a hollow well below the road and not as obvious from the carriageway as it looks.

Ambrose

You won’t find a spot on the actual summit where you would want to camp. Lower down a bit though-maybe. Take a few metres of spare guyline to extend your tent guylines. Use rocks to weight down the pegs if need be. Or guy directly onto rocks but be aware that the lines might fray against the rough stones. It can get a bit breezy up there…

Rich
    Free Member

It will be my first time camping up a mountain, so I’m green!

Think I’ll take bivvy bag AND tent, and decide on the day whether to bivvy up top, or camp near a lake.

Does that sound like a good idea?

Thanks.

scratch
    Free Member

There’s a few spots around, this was 28.12.08, freezing, with bike.

cadair camp

cadair top2

Rich
    Free Member

Wow, great pics!

Whereabouts is that pitched, roughly?

Ambrose

If you are planning to stay anywhere near the summit I’d say forget the tent- it’s a load of unnecessary weight. If the weather is so bad a tent is needed and you are determined to be up there I suggest that you use the shelter. Otherwise camp by the lakeside. Use a subtle coloured tent like Dan’s (Scratch) to avoid too much attention from the Redsox. However, as you are planning a two-dayer you may well have it with you anyway.

PS- Scratch’s campsite looks suspiciously close to Haffodty Gwastadfryn…

hitman
    Free Member

I just pitched on the way up out of the prevailing wind and somewhere slightly flat. Near the Lake would be good but when I camped there, the wind was howling across the water. Avoid the top unless its really still weather.

Rich
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, lots of good advice.

I’ll be pitching at dusk and up around 6 so tent colour shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Rich
    Free Member

Well I went Saturday and camped by Llyn Cau, didn’t see a soul between 6.30pm and 8.30am it was lovely!

Woke up at 5.00am to watch the sun rise, then hiked up and round the horseshoe, great day, very warm and clear on the summit, although my pack was a bit heavy compared to most people just taking their lunch up.

Can’t wait to go again now. 🙂

brooess
    Free Member

Rich, you did what I did on Easter Friday – up from the carpark, pitched tent by Lly Cau, up and over Sat am before everyone else crowded the place out. Got some smashing pictures of the cwm at 6:30 am. Great trip… glad you enjoyed it.

RustySpanner

Rich and Brooess,

So, the big question –

Poets or madmen? 🙂

Rich
    Free Member

Rich, you did what I did on Easter Friday – up from the carpark, pitched tent by Lly Cau, up and over Sat am before everyone else crowded the place out. Got some smashing pictures of the cwm at 6:30 am. Great trip…

Did you leave your car in the car park?

I wasn’t keen on leaving my car overnight in the car park, so asked at the local campsite, and for £5 they let me keep it in the field in front of their house. Not bad I thought as the car park is meant to be £4 for the day.

Yeah got some good pics, the sunrise had great colours.

What if you’re mad to begin with?

🙂

Ambrose

Poet, dead or madman- only if you kip on the summit. Both of Rich and Brooess got off scott free.

Surfr
    Free Member

thought it was poet, blind or madman :/

Rich
    Free Member

Ambrose – Member

Poet, dead or madman- only if you kip on the summit. Both of Rich and Brooess got off scott free.

Ah, there’s always next time.

So which do you think you become?

🙂

Ambrose

Dead. Several times. A very peculiar feeling.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Wild Camping – Cadair Idris’ is closed to new replies.