Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Whyte T129 – Tyre Choices?
  • Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Sorry, another T129 thread I know, and a tyre thread too!

Just wondering what people have tried to fit in the back end, and had success fitting in. I haven’t run the stock tyres as I got the jitters seeing the “maximum user weight 90kg” on the sidewall, which kinda rules me out!

Tried Conti Mountain King 2.4s but they were way too fat. Currently have a Smorgasboard in the rear which is a very, very tight fit – so much so I am thinking of changing it soon as any misalignment of the rear wheel and it will jam (is sub 1mm).

Just looking for options without spending a fortune trying many different options, and looking at the burlyish end of the market (see comment regarding sub 90kg user)

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Really… no one tried anything but stock?

singlecrack
    Free Member

2.25 racing Ralph’s on mine ……tbh I don’t need anything else …it seems to be an all year round tyre for me

Oh and I’ve had a 2.5 wierwolf on the front …..but the Ralph is better ……..Ralph on the rear is quite tight 4 mm clearance on the chainstays

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rollsroyce
    Free Member

Hi Captain,

I’m running a 2.25 nobby nic Eco on the standard rims on the rear and a 2.35 hans dampf on the front. Minimum of about 5mm clearance on the rear. Seems fine to me. Great grip too. Got both set up tubeless too. The hd is awesome on the front. The nn on the rear is massively better than the stock ikon, rarely spitting traction. I had nn on my old 26’er so it’s something I know and like.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

So Scwalbe 2.25″ sounds a bit skinnier than On-One then 😉

I was wondering how the HD sized up and if that would go rear too, but I suspect it would be too tight. May give the NN or RR a go (shall look into which is best for the Lakes)

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Ordered a pair of Nobby Nics in tubeless ready flavour off of that German website for mucho cheapness…. the price factor kinda made my mind up for me!

Swayndo
    Free Member

I’ve got a Specialized Ground Control 2.3 on a Flow in the rear and it’s perfect. Purgatory 2.3 on a Flow up front, but I’m considering sticking a Hans Dampf on for an upcoming foreign trip 🙂

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Cool – more options for the future 🙂

rollsroyce
    Free Member

I’m based in the lakes too. Nn’s are great for the type of terrain we have here in the south lakes. Super grippy. Regularly hear them twanging and pinging rocks as I’m climbing. Went out today and I’m starting to settle into the bike. Awesome is all I can say. So much fun on the downs and climbs great. The nn’s will only improve it. They did on mine.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Yikes, took the Ikon off the stock wheel to see how another tyre looks and that is one seriously undernourished tyre. Way too thin for any practical use IMO, so I’ll be selling it on unused.

Unfortunately the 2.1 Ground Control I’ve bought and was trying is a bit low volume for me so I need to find another mid-sized tyre. Is it bikediscount.de these NNs are at?

kirky72
    Free Member

Rekindling this one.

After flagging for a few hours trying and failing miserably to get the stock wtb’s to seat and inflate tubeless, I switched tyres today to hams damf and without brushing sealant on the bead areas of he walls and minimal hassle I had them up in 10 minutes and no air loss after an hour or so.

I Think the wtb are jus too flimsy.

Bigmantrials

Surely if each tyre has a max weight of 90kg you have an overall max weight of 180kg???

takisawa2

2.35″ Racing Ralph has become my tyre of choice these days. Was running Smallblock8’s through summer but the Ralph’s roll almost as well & don’t let go without warning, like the Smalkblock’s. In winter (the other 10.5 months) I was using Nevegal’s but they were so bloomin draggy. Strange, because in 26″ sizes I always rated the Blue Groove/Nev combo. The Ralph’s obviously don’t dig in & grip like the Nev’s, but the compromise isn’t as much as the Ralph’s appearance would suggest.

Swayndo
    Free Member

I’ve settled on a HD front and 2.25 NN rear, both Snakeskin) on my T129s and reckon its the perfect combo for the bike and the riding I do on it.

I’m using the stock Ardent on the front of my hardtail on a Flow, but its backed up with a rim strip. The Ikon was chucked on the tyre mountain as it would probably last one ride. One for keeping down the weight in the showroom I reckon.

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

I’m running 2.35 Hans Dampf Trails star on the front and Nobby Nic Evo pacestar 2.25 on the rear, I have found the Nobby Nic quite prone to punctures at lower (26 psi) pressure even though I run them tubeless. I also run a Racing Ralph 2.25 in the rear which has been really good as well not quite as grippy as the NN but faster. I may switch back if it dries out a bit.

rollsroyce
    Free Member

Tyre update for peeps!
    Had my wheels laced up with stans flow ex’s and due to the mahoosive rim width the nn I had on the rear wouldn’t fit anymore. Did a bit of research and bought myself a maxxis minion dhr 2 2.3.
    Minimum of 4mm clearance on drive side chain stay. Boy, what a tyre!!! Apart from being draggy on hard pack and Tarmac, it’s the best rear tyre I’ve ever had!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Whyte T129 – Tyre Choices?’ is closed to new replies.