Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Whyte T-129 WORKS size
  • chowmein
    Free Member

Hi all, I put a deposit down on a 2014 T129 Works. At first I asked for a medium but have since called back and changed it to a large. The size guide shows that medium is suitable for up to 5’10.5″. I am 5’11.5″. I have searched this forum and the internet with some people saying that the medium is suitable up to 6′ and some saying the large would be better. Can’t get a hold of one to test so need to take a punt on either medium or large.

So I am 5’11.5″, ride cannock chase dog and monkey twice a week so nothing too long or steep. Occasionally do Whinlatter in the lakes. I would say I have an average trunk and limb lengths for my height. (lol at avg trunk but you know what I mean 🙂

Does anyone have an opinion on the works £500 extra that gets you a fox fork and XT kit over the t129 S

z1ppy

Thread I started about sizing I’d suggest that a medium would be fine for you, but going by the other thread my idea on sizing maybe off the mark 😉
    2Wheels in stourbridge have (or had last week) a medium 2013 model in, if you wanted a quick “sit on” test, if thats local-ish to you [asking for more, when you have one on order elsewhere would be underhanded].
    As for the spec level, I’m still in two minds, I’ve never had any issue with (older) SRAM gears, but I the new XT brakes are brilliant, though fox forks don’t have a great long term rep… I’d change the brakes in a shot.
    So is it worth £500 over the lower model? Probably, value wise would be my guess (especially as a small company with limited buying power), but the question is more do you need XT/fox over SRAM/RS? (give me a T-129S with a fox shock and XT brakes, I’d be happy as larry)
    I’d be interest in other ppl’s view on this though

chowmein
    Free Member

Thnanks Zippy, yeah I read through your other post. Whyte size guide puts me bang in the middle of the Large block ! your thread suggests medium would be fine. Hence my confusion.

I probably don’t need the XT stuff, but as you say its probably good value given that its pre-market so might as well rather than risk being disappointed with the sram and rock shox.

My current bike is a SC Heckler with fox RC36, XT and Hope kit. But its getting old and my mate is leaving me for dead on his new whyte 629 29er. Time to even the game back up a little bit.

geologist
    Free Member

I don’t know if it helps, but im 5ft 7 (and a half) 😉 and the whyte t129 medium is too big for me, so It looks like they size fairly large. It sounds like you may be right on the boundary of medium and large?

chowmein
    Free Member

OMG thanks for the feedback but this decision gets harder by the minute ! lol. Think I will have faith in the size chart and stick to the large. I read somewhere that you are better of with a large as you can decrease the stem if need be which is better than going for a smaller size and having to increase the stem

mattjg
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″ and had a ’13 medium T129S which was right for me, so I think you’d be right on a large.

Which is no help at all.

ps the sizing that matters is on a fun trail with the dropper down. In shop sit-on and car park tests won’t really help.

pps I think height is a fairly crude indicator for bike fit, reach and leg length can vary a lot within the same height.

z1ppy

In shop sit-on and car park tests won’t really help.

T’is gotta be better than nothing at all or just reading a geo chart shirely?
    I’ve always been able to sit on a bike and tell if it’s too small, it’s pretty obvious without needing to ride it, but no I can’t tell “much else” about it by that test.. Which is my major issue, as all the medium’s I’ve tried (upto this and my current Whyte) and have been obviously too small… this one wasn’t.

PS: CM how does your mate 629 size up? I’d assume you at least sat on it?

chowmein
    Free Member

Thats a good point, its a medium and feels fine ! I think I will have a good go on it this weekend to help me choose ! Ta

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’m 5’10 and ride a medium T129 …..they do size up large IMHO …..I would def find the large too big for me …..but it’s a personal thing …so try and get a test ride on some …

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

They are designed with a long top tube, I’m 6.1 and have a large I don’t find it too large, I would say you would need a large, as for works I think a better upgrade would be the wheels as the stock are not great I changed mine very quickly.

chowmein
    Free Member

Well I know its not scientific but I ran my stats through the canyon size guide and that suggested a Medium for the 29 AL.

Also just checked my Heckler and its 17.5′ (medium)

My roadbike is a large and I find I am stretching a lot and getting back pains !

So going to the shop tomorrow and see if they any whytes in large and medium that I can sit on. But I think I will be changing my order back to Medium. I reckon a lot of it comes down to arm length. maybe I have stumpy arms for my height lol

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

Just wait and demo them both why the rush ?

z1ppy

Unfortunately Jonnyb even before the 2013’s hit the shop, or rave reviews appeared and they were in high demand..hence the 2014 model has been rushed out.
    I believe a couple of shops like my local one may have one in stock, but it’s not for demo. Whytes test fleet is seemingly also their media test fleet, though I got a demo late last year (on a 729, when I wanted a 929), they’re not being as forecoming this year (so far)

chowmein
    Free Member

What zippy said, can’t see me getting a demo on both sizes.

On the wheel upgrade I got the impression the stock wheels are very good on the t129’s oh on that note do you know if they come tubeless? The rims are tubless ready as are the tyres but do they put tubes in them as stock ?

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

Yes they come ready taped, and are very easy to do. I bought mine from leisure lakes at the end of feb, they had demo bikes in both sizes. They are not showing stock yet but I would imagine they have a good few on order and may do the same with demos again. Ring them and ask them . They may even take a returnable deposit off you to secure one, that’s what I did so that I could demo it without fear of someone else buying the last one while I had it on five day demo, I used bury store if that helps.

chowmein
    Free Member

Thanks, Jonny. Yeah I reserved mine at leisure lakes wolves. going down there now to talk about the size. maybe see if they have a couple of similar whytes that i can sit on.

Been thinking about it though and on my medium heckler the seat post has to be a long way out whereas my large road bike the seat post doesn’t need to come too far out of the seat tube. Also I get a lot of under steer when I hit corners fast on the heckler, I hear people talking about both ends or the back end going out on corners, maybe thats because the heckler is too small and there is too much weight at the front … 😕 (obv nothing to do with my riding style before anyone says anything lol)

mattjg
    Free Member

I reckon a lot of it comes down to arm length.

Reach is definitely a factor.

You’ll also likely need the seat high (on a medium) due to your height, which will push the saddle back towards the rear axle and increase ETT quickly due to the shallow angle of the top part of the seat tube.

Bear in mind the Whytes are a little long in the top tube I think, that’s because they’re designed for a short stem (70mm or less, I ran a 60mm on my ’13 medium, with bars wider than stock too).

The only way for you to be sure is to ride them.

z1ppy

CM, I’d be interested to hear if Wolv LL have any news on a demo, I know when I spoke to them a month ago, there was no news or plans to get one. Bury LL sounds very amenable but hardly handy from Brum.

chowmein
    Free Member

Arggghhhh sorry Zippy just read your post when I got back ! they are expecting them in next week but I don’t know whether they be setting up a demo. I will ask next time.

Anyway I did a bike fit on medium and large M109 which is similar in terms of geo and stem size etc etc. The medium was to cramped in the cockpit – found myself on top of the handle bars a bit like my current bike, The large was perfect. So thats that decided.

Talked about tubeless and a remote for the CDT. Tubeless is not for me, and the remote for the CDT is a bit of an unnecessary convenience especially for my style and type of riding.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Whyte T-129 WORKS size’ is closed to new replies.