Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Whyte 19 Steel bike weight
  • bellerophon
    Free Member

Okay…. I was browsing the Whyte website and started looking at their 19 steel and very nice it looks too. However, I noticed it was listed as weighing in at 11.1Kgs or 24.5lbs, which got me thinking as my bike comes in at 28.5 without pedals but the spec didn’t look too different, in fact I think mine looks better(?). I take bike weights posted on here with a wee pinch of salt, but assume a manufacturer would quote the correct weight, so how come the difference?

One obvious difference is the frame but that would account for say 1lb, so here are the specs of the two bikes, mine is the second line of each component:

Frame
    Reynolds 631 Air Hardening Steel, Custom Drawn and Multi Butted, Tapered Headtube
    Dialled Bikes Prince Albert 17″

Fork
    Fox 32 F120 RL Evolution Series, 120mm Travel, Tapered Steerer, QR15
    Revelation 140 dual air 20mm (409)

Rear Hub
    Hope EVO
    SLX

Front Hub
    Alloy
    SLX

Rims
    Mavic XM 319
    Alex SX44

Tyres
    Maxxis Aspen 26″ x 2.25″
    Rocket Rons folding 26×2.25

Shift Levers
    Shimano Deore SL-M591, 10 Speed
    SLX 9 speed

Front Derailleur
    Shimano Deore FD-M590
    SLX

Rear Derailleur
    Shimano SLX RD-663
    SLX

Cassette
    Shimano CS-HG62, 11-36
    XT 11-32

Chain
    Shimano CN-HG54
    HG53

Crankset
    Shimano SLX RD-66010, 42-32-24T, Hollow Tech II
    Shimano FCM545

Bottom Bracket
    Hollow tech II

Seatpost
    Whyte
    On-one

Saddle
    Fi’zi:k Gobi XM, Mag Rails
    Genesis

Bar
    Whyte Custom 2014 Alloy, Low Rise, 710mm Wide
    On-one

Stem
    Whyte Custom, 70mm
    Genesis 50mm

Grips
    Whyte Custom Lock-on
    Superstar

Brakes Front
    Avid Elixir 5, 180mm Rotor
    SLX 180mm

Brakes Rear
    Avid Elixir 5, 160mm Rotor
    SLX 160mm

Brake Levers
    Avid Elixir 5
    SLX

Where do you reckon I’m gaining all the weight?

PaulD
    Free Member

Frame and forks, rest is a give-and-take scenario.

I bet your frame is nearly 1Kg heavier than the Whyte.

Unless you weigh each component and fully describe it, this will always be difficult to pin down where things are bloated.
    Saddle, seatpost, bars, grips, tyres and tubes can all be very different to what you think/hope they weigh.

PaulD

bellerophon
    Free Member

Yeah, I kinda thought in addition to frame; that forks and wheels might do it. I listed the lot in case the addition of small weight difference on a number of components added up.

Anyway, by your reckoning a 1kg (2.2lbs) frame difference, would make the 19 frame a svelte 3.3lbs, would that be right? The more expensive steel frames I’ve seen e.g. Cotic only come in at 4.7lbs I think, hence my suggestion that could be a pound in the frame..

fwiw, my frame weighs 5.5lbs.

messiah
    Free Member

My 2010 version weighed 27-1/2#… and I could never quite work out where all the weight was. Some of the Truvativ Stylo stuff on it was a bit lardy, as was the FSA Afterburner BB30 crank, then add the wheels and tyres etc and it all added up to more than I would have expected.

This is of no use to you though… I’d say the catalogue/internet weight is a lie 😉

bellerophon
    Free Member

My friend reckoned they were lying… What 2010 bike are you referring to, pa or 19?

bigbloke
    Free Member

The Whyte 19 steel 2011 weighs in its natural form with flat pedals 28.1lbs (i own one weighed with digital scales), with a change to Nobby Nic tyres and Thomson seatpost/seatpost collar and Crank Bros wider bars it weighs 27.5 lbs. The Maxxis tyres it comes with whilst being good are heavy even compared to Maxxis website quotes.

I think the 2012 weights on the website are very wrong , certainly in the steel 19 description, the bike is virtually identical to the 2011, in fact some components are lesser in spec.

It does however feel light on the trail and is one of the best bikes i have ever ridden and owned. I have no plans to change it anytime soon, it just rides right.

bellerophon
    Free Member

Cheers bigbloke, mine comes in at 29.5lbs with dmr v8 flats, a pound difference or thereabouts is more like it, I would expect that in the frame alone. My bike doesn’t fell heavy when riding but I wouldn’t mind getting it down to 27.5lbs, not sure I could lose 2lbs without changing frame. May a lighter wheelset and bars, post and stem might do it.

messiah
    Free Member

Just a thought – I weighed mine after ghetto tubelessing the tyres so it was probably nearer 28-1/2lb in stock form. As is often preached… reducing the wheel weight is the best way to improve performance… as long as the tyres can withstand the riding being done.

I liked my 19 steel but the astronomically high bottom bracket pissed me off in the techy gnar riding I really enjoy. I broke it… and sold the warranty replacement.

Which version of the Prince Albert do you have, Bellerophon?

The current Reynolds 725 version is lighter than all the previous Reynolds 520 and 853 versions. And the new Reynolds 853 Prince Albert Classic will be lighter still.

If you don’t want to change the frame, forks and tyres are the obvious choices to drop some weight.

PaulD
    Free Member

Found the Whyte frame is claimed (by a reviewer, not Whyte) to be 2.1Kg (4.6lbs) but could not find the Dialled weight. All other components were either not adequately described or too close to call.

My comment was not meant to be derogatory, merely a pointer to the likely larger differences.

PaulD

IdleJon

messiah – Member

This is of no use to you though… I’d say the catalogue/internet weight is a lie

I’d agree with that ^.

My ancient Klein with Pace forks and v-brakes, mainly XT/XTR often got down to about 24.5lbs, depending on the tyres. (Most of the other stuff was lightish as well, USE s/post, Flite saddle etc.)

My current Genesis steel HT weighs closer to 30lb than 25lb and hasn’t got a spec much different from the Whyte.

I get very sceptical of weight claims like this, based on my bikes.

Maufacturers have lied about weight for years but you do have to ask how much difference it makes in the real world?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Out of interest I just weighed my 2007 Whyte 19 (alloy frame carbon seat stays) it came in at 24lb 15oz complete with Crud Catcher and Crud Guard.

Dibbs
    Free Member

From the the Whyte 19 steel demo bikes I’ve felt (but not ridden) I would have guessed about 26/27lbs, but it’s not a bike that’s ever appealed to me and I’m a big Whyte 19 fan (I’ve got 3) I could be tempted by the 20C though.

grtdkad

Tend to agree with the above. The 19C here tends to weigh 22lb in the summer set up (mainly XTR, FSA Carbon, KCNC Scandium set up).

24lb does look a tad optimistic with that spec?!

bellerophon
    Free Member

Hi Mike, I’ve got the 725 PA and have no intention of changing frame at the moment, this one is too good 🙂

Pauld, no offence taken and thank you for finding the 19 frame weight. It looks like that is where the difference is and whyte should be quoting 28-28.5lbs with pedals so I’d let them off with 27-27.5 lbs without….

Yep I’ve looked at wheels and could possibly save weight here, and I don’t think my post and bars are the lightest either. But to be honest I’m not really looking to save weight I was more surprised when I saw the weight of the 19.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 19 Steel bike weight’ is closed to new replies.